Premed 101 Forums

What sports do you guys practice?

psychoswim

I'm just curious as I find sports are so useful to balance your life.

I was an elite swimmer for 20 years. Since taking a forced break last year for my shoulder ops, I did a couple of sprint triathlons last summer. I really love biking, but can't do it for very long yet post-op so currently I'm "training" for a 1/2 marathon in September. I thought about doing a full marathon but maybe my knees will thank me for the 1/2! I'll be starting weights again in about 2 weeks which will be 11 weeks post-op on the left, and 10 days post-cortisone on the right.

I also enjoy climbing, though I've only ever climbed inside. I haven't been in a couple of years because of the shoulders, so I'm looking forward to being cleared by my ortho surgeon to start again! I intend to go test out the walls at UdeM when I can, I've heard from my brother-in-law they're pretty nice :)

So.. other sports nuts in here?

I've been fishing since I was in elementary school, but I am not sure that counts as a sport.

Of course its a sport!

I'm a black belt in shotokan karate and i used to compete on a national level before i stopped training. I also used to play badminton competitively but now its more of a leisure activity for me.

Im curious as to what an elite level is in the swimming circle? And if you don't mind me asking since you've been competing for 20 years, how old are you now swim?

Fishing is cool!!

Of course its a sport!

I'm a black belt in shotokan karate and i used to compete on a national level before i stopped training. I also used to play badminton competitively but now its more of a leisure activity for me.

Im curious as to what an elite level is in the swimming circle? And if you don't mind me asking since you've been competing for 20 years, how old are you now swim?

I've been identified as elite by the QC government for the last 12 years, and I made the canadian team for the university world championships in 2003, 2005 and 2007 (cool places too.. South Korea, Turkey and Thailand!). My last swim meet before my shoulders became too bad, I finished 3rd at nationals in my best event and broke the provincial record which I still hold. I'm 30 now. There aren't that many swimmers my age as the training is really hard on the body, especially in breaststroke which is my specialty. I expect that in 10 years my knees and hips will make me pay, and both my shoulders have already had major tears repaired! I've barely been swimming in the past 1.5 years due to pre-op/post-op.

I've always thought karate looked so cool, but my body coordination isn't the best on dryland! I think my lowest grade ever in school was in phys ed in high school lol.

I'm not terribly coordinated, so I try to stay away from sports...and running in public. I do like wakeboarding though, not sure if that counts as a sport. And golf is decent.

Wakeboarding is a definite sport and fun as hell!

If you can wake you should give snowboarding a shot!

Uhhh you get lessons first.

Im 6'3' 300lbs, if i can snowboard ANYONE can lol

I wouldn't bet on that.. I'm sure if I tried I'd prove you wrong! ;) I've never and will never set foot on a ski slope for fear of breaking every bone in my body lol. I'm a water creature, land is foreign!

Played professional tennis until 14.... then continued to play recreationally but went on to play varsity and now I just coach and sometimes compete in minor leagues.... Otherwise, windsurfing and sailing I love love love...

Steffie, is that you? lol

In first year, I played intramural soccer/futsal, but I have a long-standing knee injury from soccer and I just couldn't get past it and would always hesitate to push myself too much. So I moved on to other things - taking modern dance and ballet classes. Right now I'm doing jiu jitsu, ballet, and gymnastics. I figure, I'll always have the opportunity to run and lift weights, but not necessarily the time to take a class to learn specific skills! E.g. ballet classes at U of A start at 5, which makes it impossible to attend them during clerkship. Of course, there are other places to take ballet in town, which is what I'm planning on doing next year.

Archived