Premed 101 Forums

Official 2011/2012 Applicant Thread

Correct. I've heard of grad students in the 3.3-3.4 range getting offers but nothing as low as a 3.0, much like how an actual 3.6 is not competitive for undergrads...but not impossible in theory. The idea is that what you lack in GPA you make up for in productivity and academic experience. Having that publication (congratulations, by the way) would definitely go a long way in helping you since many MSc's who get in don't even have any themselves!

Best of luck! (btw, McGill has a rock solid neuroscience program)

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correct. I've heard of grad students in the 3.3-3.4 range getting offers but nothing as low as a 3.0, much like how an actual 3.6 is not competitive for undergrads...but not impossible in theory. The idea is that what you lack in GPA you make up for in productivity and academic experience. Having that publication (congratulations, by the way) would definitely go a long way in helping you since many MSc's who get in don't even have any themselves!

Best of luck! (btw, McGill has a rock solid neuroscience program)

Thanks! And yes, that is the program I have my eye on if I am unsuccessful this year with applications. The PI I work for has told me to have two plans that are equally appealing.

Thanks again :)

Ottawa doesn't use the MCAT at all (part of why they get so many applicants - 3500+).

For the english stream you usually need a 3.6-3.7 for ottawa-area applicants, 3.85 for ontario-wide and a 3.87 out-of-province GPA.

Remember though, uOttawa uses a weighting system and only looks at your most recent three years.

[(Year 3 GPA x 3)+(Year 2 GPA x 2)+(Year 1 GPA x 1)] / 6 = uOttawa wGPA

Note: to third year applicants since you only have 2 full years of marks by application time your grades are calculated as:

[(Year 2 GPA x 2)+(Year 1 GPA x 1)] / 3 = uOttawa wGPA[/quote

I have a question,if I have 3 years of GPA,but only two were full course loads(5.0) credits,wouldn' they only count the two years?

Ottawa doesn't use the MCAT at all (part of why they get so many applicants - 3500+).

For the english stream you usually need a 3.6-3.7 for ottawa-area applicants, 3.85 for ontario-wide and a 3.87 out-of-province GPA.

Remember though, uOttawa uses a weighting system and only looks at your most recent three years.

[(Year 3 GPA x 3)+(Year 2 GPA x 2)+(Year 1 GPA x 1)] / 6 = uOttawa wGPA

Note: to third year applicants since you only have 2 full years of marks by application time your grades are calculated as:

[(Year 2 GPA x 2)+(Year 1 GPA x 1)] / 3 = uOttawa wGPA[/quote

I have a question,if I have 3 years of GPA,but only two were full course loads(5.0) credits,wouldn' they only count the two years?

Hi Christina, maybe someone else can help clarify but my understanding is that uOttawa only considers full-time years in their wGPA calculation.

On their page about marks (http://www.intermed.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/Admissions/eng/excellence_marks.html) they state they calculate using the most recent 2 or 3 years of "full-time undergraduate studies". I think you are right, they would likely not count that part-time year.

Hi Christina, maybe someone else can help clarify but my understanding is that uOttawa only considers full-time years in their wGPA calculation.

On their page about marks (http://www.intermed.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/Admissions/eng/excellence_marks.html) they state they calculate using the most recent 2 or 3 years of "full-time undergraduate studies". I think you are right, they would likely not count that part-time year.

thanks! And full time is considered 5.0 credits right?

Good question, I found the following in the OMSAS guide:

'A full‐time academic year in which the student takes the equivalent of four (4) full‐year courses is accepted and counted in the Weighted Grade Point Average (WGPA) calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course. Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted for the credit value in this instance; however, the mark obtained is not counted in the calculation of the WGPA. Any year with less than four full‐year courses will not count as a full‐time year of study. A full‐time summer semester does not replace a semester of studies within an academic year.'

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/b_omsas_e.pdf

There's your answer :)

OIC, UT is pretty forgiving to grad students though, correct? Dropping the min GPA to 3 instead of 3.6?

[i'm not a grad student but I have more than enough interest in research to do a masters (I've already been published in an international neuro journal) as my backup. It would be a welcomed change of pace and something I'd be happy doing. I could see myself getting a lot of experience from it. I am open to moving anywhere in Canada that has a solid neuroscience program. Tout des ecoles, y compris au Quebec :) ]

French schools look at all of your university background, they are not forgiving in this matter. They use a Z Score, with a correction related to your discipline strenth in Montreal and Laval.

Sherbrooke adds 0.5 to your Z Score for student who have a Bachelor, 1 for Masters, and I think 2 for Doctorate (these bonuses are not cumulative).

As for McGill, if you did a second bachelor degree with 45 credits, they will use it's GPA as a basis of admission if it's better than the one of the first Bachelor.

Competition here is tight even for IP. I think the average GPA for competitive IP applicants is 3.8. The cut-off is 3.5 but it's not strict.

As for a neuroscience program, McGill has the largest graduate neuroscience program in Canada.

French schools look at all of your university background, they are not forgiving in this matter. They use a Z Score, with a correction related to your discipline strenth in Montreal and Laval.

Sherbrooke adds 0.5 to your Z Score for student who have a Bachelor, 1 for Masters, and I think 2 for Doctorate (these bonuses are not cumulative).

As for McGill, if you did a second bachelor degree with 45 credits, they will use it's GPA as a basis of admission if it's better than the one of the first Bachelor.

Competition here is tight even for IP. I think the average GPA for competitive IP applicants is 3.8. The cut-off is 3.5 but it's not strict.

As for a neuroscience program, McGill has the largest graduate neuroscience program in Canada.

Hey Robin Hood :)

Thank you for all of the information. I may just have to ask you a few more questions if my backup plan needs to be put into action.

Thanks very much for all the info.

You need someone who is credible and a strong advocate. I got a great LOR from a prof I knew only for one semester, I led his course and participated actively in class. He had my transcript, my updated CV and a motivational letter addressed to him (which was sort of, my U/T Essay) - so he knew all about me!

In my mind, your family physician would be last, but I could be wrong. :)

A high school teach is fine. You want your referee to validate what they say about you through telling little stories about you. Volunteer coordinator is perfect. When you ask a prof if he is willing to write you "a strong LOR and be your advocate for acceptance into med school" do not only listen to his/her words but watch their body language.

Follow your own interests and passions. Your activities may be organized or unorganized as in helping out an elderly or disabled neighbour with simple chores or just actively listening and going for walks. It is all about what you learn from these activities in terms of your own growth and development re communication skills, initiative, leadership, compassion, dedication, teamwork, critical thinking skills, time and stress management, acquiring expertise, and those non-academic qualities essential for a caring physician. Different paths are equally valid. Choose your own path! :P

NOSM has context scores that make up a big chunk of their evaluation and benefit those from rural areas so you may want to look into that, I'm not sure what the policy is for OOP though.

For those in ontario and interested in NOSM but are unsure how rural they are, the OMA has a listing of townships and their "rurality" that I imagine is close to NOSMs evaluations (if not identical). The higher the score the more rural you are:

Listing - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/uap/docs/up_rio_scores.pdf

Enter your own postal code- https://www.oma.org/PublicApp/nlp/NLPWF003.aspx

A quick note about the NOSM "rural" score.

The town I have lived in for 7 yrs- it's borderline rural, in my opinion. I wanted to find out if it would net me any sort of context score.

I called the NOSM office, and they told me that every province has some sort of version of this link above. It may or may not be online. They told me to call the ruralBC office http://www.ruralbc.gov.bc.ca/ and that they could help me out. I called the office, and they seemed really confused by my request, so I dropped the issue. :)

Follow your own interests and passions. Your activities may be organized or unorganized as in helping out an elderly or disabled neighbour with simple chores or just actively listening and going for walks. It is all about what you learn from these activities in terms of your own growth and development re communication skills, initiative, leadership, compassion, dedication, teamwork, critical thinking skills, time and stress management, acquiring expertise, and those non-academic qualities essential for a caring physician. Different paths are equally valid. Choose your own path! :P

But you can't write what you've learned in the sketch because of the character limit, so I just put my responsibilities and I can describe what I've learned in an interview or whatever...right?

Another question: One of my referees, a professor, is now leaving to teach at a different university (for September 2011). On her CAF form, should I put in her new department at her new school?

Also, I will be moving in September so I don't know what my new phone number will be as of yet...but I need to put in something for my referee's form, so I can send it to her ASAP. What should I do? I don't want to wait til September to give the form to my referee.

Another question: One of my referees, a professor, is now leaving to teach at a different university (for September 2011). On her CAF form, should I put in her new department at her new school?

Also, I will be moving in September so I don't know what my new phone number will be as of yet...but I need to put in something for my referee's form, so I can send it to her ASAP. What should I do? I don't want to wait til September to give the form to my referee.

Send it to her now and use your parent's phone no. On her CAF form, putting her new school is fine.

Hey guys I had a quick question about whether I should apply to UOttawa or not. Using their formula I have a gpa of 3.84. I know the gpa cut off is usually 3.85 but I'm not sure if it's a soft or a hard cut off. Should I even bother applying? I'm a resident of Northern Ontario btw

Archived