Premed 101 Forums

Looking for Study Buddies to prepare for the MCAT (click to see if you're eligible)

peef

Will be meeting twice a week at Robarts with 2-3 other students (myself included). Two of us are in 3rd year with one in 2nd year. All have 3.9+ GPA with one with 4.00 (OMSAS, not the UT scale lol). We are all UTSG students but of course all are welcome. It'd be great if we can get a few more motivated summer mcat writers to meet up.

The one requirement is that you MUST:

1. have 3.9+ GPA, and 4.00 in all the basic science courses tested on the MCAT (e.g. General Chem, Physics, Orgo, Bio)

This is to ensure that we could all benefit from group studying. An official transcript is required for proof. We would be more than happy to show ours.

I am a 3rd yr student in the LMP program at U of T. My current GPA is 3.91. I am self studying and have done AAMC 4R with 33 and 5R with 34. I will be writing in July.

we are currently using AAMC, TPR, and NOVA, EK

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is in the wrong section. Mods, please move at your convenience.

And yeah, I would love to study with you but I'm not qualified enough LOL.

But good luck. And in all honesty, I think it's somewhat admirable that you're looking for people at a certain level, though it could be expressed a bit differently... My tennis coach once told me "you only get better by playing with the best, not the worst".

I like your style. When I look for new buddies in general, I require signed reference letters to ensure that I'm getting a quality friend. I plan on doing the same with women. Wait... maybe that's not such a good idea, maybe an unnamed member can comment on that.

whenever i ask a woman out on a date, i always make sure she shows me a copy of her official transcript first. that way i can filter out the genetically inferior females in order to not pollute my superior blood line when it comes time to reproduce.

whenever i ask a woman out on a date, i always make sure she shows me a copy of her official transcript first. that way i can filter out the genetically inferior females in order to not pollute my superior blood line when it comes time to reproduce.

What if she comes from a program with over-inflated marks? How do you filter out for that?

I live in DT Toronto, and am willing to travel around T.O (I have car)

1. have 3.9+ GPA, and 4.00 in all the basic science courses tested on the MCAT (e.g. General Chem, Physics, Orgo, Bio)

This is to ensure that we could all benefit from group studying. An official transcript is required for proof. I will show mine as well.

I am a 3rd yr student in the LMP program at U of T. My current GPA is 3.91. I am self studying and have done AAMC 4R with 33 and 5R with 34. I will be writing in July.

Pretty sure this is so YOU can benefit haha

I don't doubt that surrounding yourself with motivated people is a good idea when it comes to studying, but they don't have to be motivated AND smart. It's not the smarts that give a good work environment and it's not pure smarts that give a good mcat score.

In fact, if you really want to do well, you'd be wise to find someone who is motivated, yet not very strong in the sciences. Teaching someone else is the best way to ensure you know your stuff.

Now that's the way I go out with my women haha. Seriously, are you looking someone to study, or someone, like other said, you could benefit from? The point of studying is to teach each other. You don't do well by studying with those who are super smart, well at least from my experience. In fact teaching those who may not be as smart as you on a particular subject could help you strengthen your knowledge about that subject. Seriously, i know doing well on the MCAT is important, however i don't think you have to go to the extent of filtering out people. Having them present a transcript? Why not ask reference letters too then. Someone may for example may have gotten a 3.0 or 3.3 in one of the basic science, if not all; however that doesn't imply they didn't work hard at it. Maybe they learned how to study for that subject quiet recently, or something could have been happening around that time period. There are a number of variables that could explain why one may have "low" marks. You may want to pick people based on their personality, ability to be committed, and how hard working they are.

P.S Marks are not everything when it comes to being a physician. Remember the smartest people, with the highest G.P.A get rejected because they didn't realize that there's more than just sitting down and reading books all day and night.

Will be meeting twice a week at Robarts with 2-3 other students (myself included). Two of us are in 3rd year with one in 2nd year. All have 3.9+ GPA with one with 4.00 (OMSAS, not the UT scale lol). We are all UTSG students but of course all are welcome. It'd be great if we can get a few more motivated summer mcat writers to meet up.

This is to ensure that we could all benefit from group studying. An official transcript is required for proof. We would be more than happy to show ours.

EDIT: seriously, why all the hate? If you've worked hard and have done well in university you should know that group studying is only effective when all members have the same level of preparedness and motivation is key. If not, self-studying may be a better use of time. Throughout my years, I can tell you that I (and probably many others) would never have been able to earn such a sexy GPA if we did not constantly surround ourselves with intelligent/motivated people.

SECOND EDIT: we are currently using AAMC, TPR, and NOVA, EK

THIRD EDIT: we're all friendly and sociable if you were wondering... We do much more than just study.

Weren't you one complaining about the C+ in Calculus?

EDIT: seriously, why all the hate? If you've worked hard and have done well in university you should know that group studying is only effective when all members have the same level of preparedness and motivation is key. If not, self-studying may be a better use of time. Throughout my years, I can tell you that I (and probably many others) would never have been able to earn such a sexy GPA if we did not constantly surround ourselves with intelligent/motivated people.

THIRD EDIT: we're all friendly and sociable if you were wondering... We do much more than just study.

Do you do wGPAs? Best two years? What about dropping the lowest 6? Then could we qualify :D?

LOL...I "clicked to see if i am eligible"....and I cannot explain how heartbroken I am right now.

Felt like my last job interview, all it was missing was a background check. Jokes aside, the intention of the OP may have been genuine but his/her approach to the task was a litle less subtle.

Good luck on your MCATS, and people have already mentioned it, the easiest way to find out if you know a subject is if you could explain it to someone else, but I am sure OP knew that.

I only work with people with 4.0s. I would like to see your transcript to see if you qualify to study with me.

What about writing IQ test also? It may help filter people too?

Speaking of IQ, I wrote the bubble test many years ago and attended the gifted program in elementary school. My IQ was two standard deviations higher than the mean.

Of course, this is no longer relevant.

They also got a B+ in SOSC 1000 9.0 at York. Lol I think the OP is busted!

This is too funny.

I don't go to York, my close friend does and I was speaking on her behalf. Someone was asking about a course she took so I though I would tell the OP what my friend told me.

I did, unfortunately. It wouldn't matter though, MCAT does not test math. My cGPA is still higher than 3.9 and would be 3.99 without 135.

But MAT135 tests analytical ability, a real necessity for the MCAT. Oh no no no, I don't think I will benefit enough studying with someone who did not do well in MAT135. Perhaps I will study with your friends only.

Archived