Premed 101 Forums

Did you change your mind about speciality?

Did you change your mind during medical school?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you change your mind during medical school?

• Yes, from primary care to surgery/diagnostics
    • Yes, from surgery/diagnostics to primary care
    • No, always wanted to do primary care
    • No, always wanted to do surgery
    • No, always wanted to do diagnostics

Well, did you? What did you start off wanting to do, and what did you end up wanting to do? I'm just curious. I'm REALLY sure I want to go into psychiatry, but it seems I may change my mind pretty fast once I get into it. What made you change your mind, if you did? And when did you change your mind?

For the poll, I used the same way of categorizing the specialities as this board does in the subforums.

Well; I've always wanted to do primary care; just different specialties within :)

Stupid poll only allows max 10 options, otherwise I would have gone whole hog. What did you change your mind between? If you don't mind saying.

i started of looking at medicine as purely means to do psych, then got fm in mind because 5 years seems pretty unappealing to me when i can just work in addictions or something... i'm also looking at a bunch of non-clinical careers too, because, other than psych and maybe fm, i don't really like clinical medicine very much. but wouldn't mind maybe doing community health or public health etc. yeah, that's a pretty big 360, but looking back, i shouldn't really be surprised.

Well, did you? What did you start off wanting to do, and what did you end up wanting to do? I'm just curious. I'm REALLY sure I want to go into psychiatry, but it seems I may change my mind pretty fast once I get into it. What made you change your mind, if you did? And when did you change your mind?

For the poll, I used the same way of categorizing the specialities as this board does in the subforums.

I'd love to answer your poll but I got a few questions:

1) Do you include general internal medicine and general pediatrics in primary care (like in the US) or you purely mean family/ER?

2) What do you call ''diagnostics''? Is it internal med subspecialties? radiologt/nuclear med? Lab medicine (path etc)?

Thanks

Archived