Premed 101 Forums

Massive admissions overhaul

Ohhhhhhh this sucks. Calg pulled a Mac-Western.

My digital tears are flowing right now.

VR seems to be the main focus now for a lot of places - really flying in the face of AAMC's claim that the mcat overall is an effective tool.

I have to say they have been remarkably open about exactly what they are looking for. It doesn't get more transparent than this!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am disappointed about the removal of the written portion of the MMI. I felt that being able to write clearly under time pressure was just as important as being able to speak clearly during the verbal portions of the MMI. And honestly, only scoring the VR of the MCAT?! Wow. Seems like this is going to become a more and more common trend across Canadian universities. I wish U of A would also change their MCAT criteria to only VR, then I would have a lot less studying to do this summer...

It'll be interesting to see who gets accepted this cycle. Hopefully these changes that U of C made are for the better.

This is definitely interesting.... I REALLY hope they take the "best" VR as opposed to the most recent. My best is 11, but my most recent is 9. I don't want to have to rewrite the MCAT because ONE of my scores is low (the hardest one to study for, and the most variable one at that).

I'm unsure if I like the "top 10" impact statements. I don't have many major activities, but the ones I do have are huge, long-term commitments.

I'm just not who to use for each reference! So many of the categories overlap. I guess I'll have at least a bit of time to think about it!

It'll be interesting to see if any stats change majorly or not!

I thought to myself: omg, now there are really making it clear that having a 4.0 and a good MCAT is good, but not good enough....because now 60% of your application relies on ECs and the relationships you have built to show who you are as a person.

I also LOVE the idea of the timeline, because it would really highlight people that kept themselves busy with ECs during a full-course load.

One of the negatives though is that I cant just simply upload my old application this year with a few changes/additions. It will have to be a whole new thing and a lot of work. AGAIN. LML:p

hey pixie,

maybe i missed something ... how did you get 60% is ECs (which I'm all for); i saw it as only 10% :(

i don't know whether to cry or rejoice; perhaps someone with better interpretation can help:

- my cgpa with the worst year dropped is 3.55 and 3.45 without the worst year dropped

- i scored a 12 on VR getting a 36R overall on the MCAT

- my ECs are very strong (in my opinion) and I feel I could strongly highlight the qualities outlined through them; many involved long term commitments 2 - 5 years, etc. and I have people in mind for each of the references

- given that my gpa is on the lower side, does anyone have any insight if I will be hindered or helped by these changes in getting an interview?

- are the reference scores counted in the 10% of personal qualities?

-epson

i don't know whether to cry or rejoice; perhaps someone with better interpretation can help:

- my cgpa with the worst year dropped is 3.55 and 3.45 without the worst year dropped

- i scored a 12 on VR getting a 36R overall on the MCAT

- my ECs are very strong (in my opinion) and I feel I could strongly highlight the qualities outlined through them; many involved long term commitments 2 - 5 years, etc. and I have people in mind for each of the references

- given that my gpa is on the lower side, does anyone have any insight if I will be hindered or helped by these changes in getting an interview?

- are the reference scores counted in the 10% of personal qualities?

-epson

I think these changes might actually benefit you. So rejoice you shall ;) First of all, GPA increases - good! 12 on VR is a very impressive score - good! Strong EC's - good! People in mind for references - good! What else do you have to worry about? ;)

My cGPA was in the same range as you and I got an interview last year. You shouldn't have a problem getting an interview as long as the rest of your application (i.e. EC's and references) are strong.

And I do believe that the references are counted in the 10% personal qualities :)

hey pixie,

maybe i missed something ... how did you get 60% is ECs (which I'm all for); i saw it as only 10% :(

10% for each of the following, as assessed by the file reviewers:

o Evidence of Communication Skills

o Evidence of Excellent Interpersonal Skills and Collaboration

o Evidence of High Ethical Standards and Professionalism

o Evidence of Commitment to Communities and Advocacy on Behalf of Others

o Evidence of Intellectual Curiosity, Scholarship and Research

o Evidence of Organizational / Management Skills and Leadership

and so if I am reading this right there are 6 things EACH worth 10%. That combined with the 40% academics score mentioned above is the full 100% :)

People have commented on the 10% VR score but the 10% Subjective Assessment of Academic Merit is worth just as much and almost 1/2 of the GPA itself. I am guessing now the program/course difficulty you are in really is going to matter for this school(?) - or what else could this be actually designed to measure?

People have commented on the 10% VR score but the 10% Subjective Assessment of Academic Merit is worth just as much and almost 1/2 of the GPA itself. I am guessing now the program/course difficulty you are in really is going to matter for this school(?) - or what else could this be actually designed to measure?

I'm thinking it'll be things like, "we looked at the GPA and although the first year was horrible, the overall score was solid, so we're going to bump it up." Or, "aside from having an achilles' heel in organic chemistry this is actually a very high GPA applicant, make sure the application affects this," or on the alternative side, "this application looks like a hodgepodge of easy courses chosen to have a maximal GPA. The applicant does poorly on prerequisites compared to the piles of first-year social science courses." I don't think program is going to matter more... probably just as little or less. That seems to be the spirit they are aiming for.

Folks concerned about their VR scores and whether they need apply, remember: VR tends to be the lowest scoring section. If you can get a 9 or 10 you will probably have a good fighting chance. If you can't get a 9 or 10, you should get on the MCAT section of these forums and try to find out why: there is no reason any person with the intelligence I know we all possess shouldn't be able to score at least that high, except for a misunderstanding of how to do the section.

VR seems to be the main focus now for a lot of places - really flying in the face of AAMC's claim that the mcat overall is an effective tool.

I have to say they have been remarkably open about exactly what they are looking for. It doesn't get more transparent than this!

Yes, Calgary is being incredibly open about the whole process.

And remember, everyone - this is just an outline of the changes. The applicant manual is still to come.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

It's also a more subjective view of Western's "course level" requirement - ie. they want to see that in your third and fourth year you aren't taking all first year "bird" courses. So they don't have an explicit rule like Western, but they do look at the level of your courses compared to your year, and factor it into the subjective assessment.

I guess this will also help those is demanding programs like engineering where you often have 6 courses/semester!

I'll freely admit bias, but I am a little sad to see all written components removed. I could see turning the importance way down, since 10% of the final score was pretty huge, but being able to write clearly and coherently is a signifier of a lot of things, not the least of which is simple language proficiency. Still, as a writer, I'm definitely strongly biased in favour of more writing tests, and the other changes may cover this stuff.
I disliked the written component. Personally, writing about an unknown subject in a restricted time frame isn't something I enjoyed about the application process. However, I am actually also a bit sad to see it removed. I completely agree with the bolded statement and saw relevance to the use of the written MMI.

Some interesting changes this year.

really? 9 or 10 is competitive? ... i thought the average for an applicant was at least 10? can anyone please correct me if I'm wrong so I can somewhat sleep better haha

-epson

It depends on what you mean by "competitive". If you have a 10 VR, you are going to be an average applicant in that field. That means it's not going to weigh you down, but it's not going to get you in. As long as you have other strong areas, you'll be fine, which is what I mean by a "fighting chance". If you have 12+, your VR will become one of the turning points that might get you in, but if you have a good GPA or good acti--- attributes, you won't need that kind of VR.

It's always a tradeoff game. Very few applicants are amazing in every field, but all successful applicants have something to set them apart. It doesn't have to be their VR score, that is just one option now.

The article noted that the other MCAT sections would be considered in the the Subjective Assessment of Academic Merit... Anyone think they would consider the number of times you have written the MCAT in the assessment or just the best scores you submit (and whether they are balanced etc.)

I'm a bit shocked that attributes is worth so little compared to academics in the weighting scheme. Its a heck of a lot of effort to get 3 references and fill out your time line of activities for 10% of your application compared to writing a VR section in 1 hour!

The article noted that the other MCAT sections would be considered in the the Subjective Assessment of Academic Merit... Anyone think they would consider the number of times you have written the MCAT in the assessment or just the best scores you submit (and whether they are balanced etc.)

I'm a bit shocked that attributes is worth so little compared to academics in the weighting scheme. Its a heck of a lot of effort to get 3 references and fill out your time line of activities for 10% of your application compared to writing a VR section in 1 hour!

am I reading this wrong - I think it is saying attributes are 60% not 10% - there are 6 sections, each worth 10%(?)

After all that studying for PS, BS, and WS this summer....

3 schools base it off on VR.

*Macbook brings out autotuned keyboard* (please sing to Elton John's "Candle in the Wind")

Goodbye Calgary,

Though I never knew you at all,

You had to go and change yourself

Due to some weak R-correlation score.

McMaster crawled out of the woodwork

And they whispered to your dean's brain

Setting you on the treadmill

To change your applicant scoring game.

*Ba dummm*

And it seems to me, my Calgary OOP dream

Goes out like a candle in the wind.

Never knowing what to guess on

When my VR section begins.

And I would have loved to know you,

But I'm just illiterate.

My dreams of your med school burned out long before

Your OOP formula ever did.

Loneliness is tough,

Especially McMaster’s new CASPer

You felt you needed to be a lil’ different

And say, why not just use VR and cGPA.

Even if your changes go through,

Premeds will still be hounding you

You’ll still have the same type of people going in

Your CARMs matching rate in 3 years could still be screwed.

But I'm just illiterate.

Goodbye Calgary,

Though I never knew you at all,

You had to go and change yourself

Due to some weak R-correlation score.

Goodbye Calgary,

From the young Macbook from Ontario

Who sees you more than just a med school

More than just a McMaster mimeo.

But I'm just illiterate.

And I would have loved to know you

But I’m just illiterate.

Don’t worry, I’ll be a dentist

I’ll be making twice as much as your graduates did.

*bows*

I don't know what to make of this yet. Only looking at the VR could really hurt me since I wrote the MCAT twice and ended up with an 8 despite A LOT of practice for VR. I got interviewed last year and was hoping that I would again, now I really don't know. I'm happy about the grad year GPA being counted and dropping the worst year. Having 5 years to choose from would be beneficial. The changes to scoring the ECs and the timeline seem better too. More emphasis on why the things you do are important vs "i volunteer at the gift shop because I have to volunteer to get into med school"

No matter what this years app is going to take a lot more work. :rolleyes:

10% for each of the following, as assessed by the file reviewers:

o Evidence of Communication Skills

o Evidence of Excellent Interpersonal Skills and Collaboration

o Evidence of High Ethical Standards and Professionalism

o Evidence of Commitment to Communities and Advocacy on Behalf of Others

o Evidence of Intellectual Curiosity, Scholarship and Research

o Evidence of Organizational / Management Skills and Leadership

and so if I am reading this right there are 6 things EACH worth 10%. That combined with the 40% academics score mentioned above is the full 100% :)

That's how I read it too. It seems that the reference letters would be a part (of unknown weight) of 60%.

Archived