Premed 101 Forums

If you were the adcom at a medical school, what would be your rules?

Robin Hood

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top 5 Things I'd Look For in a Med Student:

1. Be a real person. With flaws. And personality.
  2. Be a team player. Yes, sometimes your team-mates will suck. Deal with it.
  3. Be empathetic. To your patients. To your coworkers. Etc.
  4. Be willing to learn. If I'm taking my time to teach you; learn.
  5. Be pleasant. Yes, we all hate call; yes we all complain about it. Just don't do it 24/7.

it's really hard to narrow down a selective group of people, because different personalities/skills fit different roles well, some peoples backgrounds make them great psychiatrists, others make them great general surgeons so i don't think there is any perfect criterion for admitting someone to med school, to be honest i think the different schools themselves probably do that, although i may be completely wrong... i def noticed a completely different "culture" at the two schools i interviewed at... i'd pref to work at uofc... i won't go so far as saying im eclectic and random enough to fully support mac, lol.

Title says it all.

Also, indicate in which school you would prefere to work.

it's really hard to narrow down a selective group of people, because different personalities/skills fit different roles well, some peoples backgrounds make them great psychiatrists, others make them great general surgeons so i don't think there is any perfect criterion for admitting someone to med school, to be honest i think the different schools themselves probably do that, although i may be completely wrong... i def noticed a completely different "culture" at the two schools i interviewed at... i'd pref to work at uofc... i won't go so far as saying im eclectic and random enough to fully support mac, lol.

There is not perfect way to know who's the most fit for medicine, but each school has it's own idea of the best way to figure so.

For McGill, I would get rid of the abstract/longer version which is often changed/edited/written by others - something Mac realized - and go with Casper, which is far more meaningful and reliable. I would also increase the number of seats given to the recently established non-trads. I would, however, contnue with the marvelous Montreal bagels, etc. :P

For McGill, I would get rid of the abstract/longer version which is often changed/edited/written by others - something Mac realized - and go with Casper, which is far more meaningful and reliable. I would also increase the number of seats given to the recently established non-trads. I would, however, contnue with the marvelous Montreal bagels, etc. :P

CASPer sound good, but I don't think betting on a computer-based criteria is a good idea. You know that bugs and crashs are hobbies for computers.

Adcoms need to stop looking for perfection in a person, robotic qualities are a turn off in a person working in any field, let alone being a doctor where patients rely on you the most.

They don't...could you clarify about "perfection"? It's not like only 4.0 individuals are admitted.

I would introduce IP rules for Ont. at all Ontario schools, and regional rules within them as well - if SWOMEN are the best to serve their area, and northerners to their communities, I believe it is only logical to state that Torontonians/GTA are best suited to serve our unique area as well.

And I am ready to get shot at for the above :)

They don't...could you clarify about "perfection"? It's not like only 4.0 individuals are admitted.

I would introduce IP rules for Ont. at all Ontario schools, and regional rules within them as well - if SWOMEN are the best to serve their area, and northerners to their communities, I believe it is only logical to state that Torontonians/GTA are best suited to serve our unique area as well.

They're definition of "Well rounded" is not very well rounded to me, it's perfection. Sometimes when I hear certain people get accepted and certain ones don't I wonder "wtf are they thinking"

Even the interview process I find to be way too serious, as if they're trying to find the perfect person with no emotion in them. My friends have had ridiculous things happen to them during interviews (arguments between the interviewers, them storming off, etc) all to test how they'd react and the best way to handle things like that is to apparently not be phased by it. It's little things like this that I find wrong in interviewing processes, and kind of masks the sincerity in a person.

They're definition of "Well rounded" is not very well rounded to me, it's perfection. Sometimes when I hear certain people get accepted and certain ones don't I wonder "wtf are they thinking"

Even the interview process I find to be way too serious, as if they're trying to find the perfect person with no emotion in them. My friends have had ridiculous things happen to them during interviews (arguments between the interviewers, them storming off, etc) all to test how they'd react and the best way to handle things like that is to apparently not be phased by it. It's little things like this that I find wrong in interviewing processes, and kind of masks the sincerity in a person.

Don't forget that adcoms don't care about the applicants. They expect them to do things they won't do themselves. When people are in a situation of power, they will abuse it.

While in life, abuse of power is a problem, for adcoms no matter how they slice the apple, they will always end up with selecting excellent candidates, which is all that really matters to them in the end. Supply & demand ensures an ample supply of great applicants, many of whom will be refused a seat. This is the sad reality and reason why it is often necessary to reapply.

While in life, abuse of power is a problem, for adcoms no matter how they slice the apple, they will always end up with selecting excellent candidates, which is all that really matters to them in the end. Supply & demand ensures an ample supply of great applicants, many of whom will be refused a seat. This is the sad reality and reason why it is often necessary to reapply.

"Excellent" to who though?

In my opinion, excellent to me would be someone who I really got to truly know during an interview (along with a great GPA/MCAT scores + ECs).

Not someone who rehearsed the interview a billion times.

"Excellent" to who though?

In my opinion, excellent to me would be someone who I really got to truly know during an interview (along with a great GPA/MCAT scores + ECs).

Not someone who rehearsed the interview a billion times.

At the end of the day, no matter what we are told, subjectivity definitely creeps into the process. So 'excellent' has a flexible meaning,someone who has the entire package whatever that means. An applicant to U/T got into a discussion with a physician on the panel, and it turned out they had many contacts in common, which became the main theme of the interview. This member received an offer. She was worthy but one panel member took over the interview which went down a meaningless, random road. So, excellent in this case was someone who had the MCAT, ECs, a killer essay, a less than steller GPA who was personable!

It is about critical thinking skills, problem solving under severe time constraints. You bring all your skills to CASPer.

1. Can someone cheat on CASPer?

2. QAS Question 1 (+ a CV) are a good tool for applicants to explain themselves. It's like saying: you think you will make a good doctor. You know yourself more than us, tell me why do you think so? Also, looking at students experiences can tell you if they are balanced and polyvalent.

1. Can someone cheat on CASPer?

2. QAS Question 1 (+ a CV) are a good tool for applicants to explain themselves. It's like saying: you think you will make a good doctor. You know yourself more than us, tell me why do you think so? Also, looking at students experiences can tell you if they are balanced and polyvalent.

Someone can cheat on the QAS by having another prepare the answer for them. On the basis that the applicant answers, this is fine but often help is sought. Whereas for CASPER, it is pretty much impossible in that sense it is a mirror to the MMI.

+1. It's not my fault I was born and raised in the GTA :P

My rules (I would like to be an adcom at McGill):

Minimum overall and minimum basic science GPA of 3.5 or Cote R of 32. No exceptions. Must send official transcripts of ALL post-secondary education. Must be in English or French. If not, it should be accompagned by an official translation.

CV. Must show involvement in ECs during studies and diversity of experiences. Holistic evaluation. It will be like McGill's current CV.

MCAT optional for students who studied science in Canada. Obligatory for the rest (never did it, so I don't know about what cut-offs there should be).

CASPer (if it could work without bugs).

3 references (maximum of 1 from academics).

Program of study: Can be any program. Adcoms will take note of the rigour of the program. Cegepiens must have since starting cegep be enrolled in Science, Arts and Science, or a combined program. IB and French Baccaulaureate are accepted. Students who did remedial courses in the Summer preceding their first regular semester are not ineligible.

Must be in third year of university students or last year for cegepiens. Must have a full course load in regular semesters. Cegepiens can't take summer courses except at the remedial level. No exceptions. Years where a student takes less than 5 courses will not be counted.

Interview: MMI is obligatory. A student must be present in the EXACT room at the EXACT time, or he/she will get an automatic rejection. Not showing up for ANY reason (even extenuing circumpstances) will cause an automatic rejection. No feedback.

False or misleading information: applicant will be PERMANENTLY banned from applying (and we will inform all Canadian medical schools of this if the law permits). Applicants who student folder shows he was ever accused or academic dishonesty or applicants who had committed criminal offenses will NEVER be considered.

Policy of no exceptions. Students MAY NOT ask to be granted exceptions. Don't waste adcoms time.

Archived