Premed 101 Forums

Who attends classes?

aaronjw

I can only imagine how difficult it must be, being 35 and lots of experience in the business world. However, put that mindset behind you if you can and start fresh, otherwise you will skip all classes which will be a mistake.

In premed, I strategically skipped certain classes. For example, if notes were given out, I could skip. Often, I found that I learned more efficiently on my own and why waste time for certain classes. If the examine was going to be MC, notes printed and I did the readings, I aced the courses and did not need to attend the lectures. However, this is not true in all cases.

You need to find out from students who took the courses which courses it is safe to skip. Until you do your due diligence, play it safe in your own best interests. Remember, the big picture - that you made the decision to seriously alter your life for the goal of medicine and that is what is truly important. If you have to attend some stupid lectures, stay the course lest you be left behind for not having covered all the material on youir own. Like business, this is another game and you have to play it smart to win. Learn the rules and apply them. Speak to students, speak to the profs, do what you must. Good luck in this difficult transition.

I haven't missed a class this semester yet which is certainly unusual for me! Though I did leave after 1 hour of anatomy last week because it was pointless to remain there, and I haven't decided if I'll show up to other anatomy classes besides the one my friend is teaching.

Some classes the profs really add to the material we already have. Others you can learn everything from the course packs we get. I do tend to go more often because of the social factor now compared to before. And I have a few profs that like to draw things out on the board which is really good for my photographic-oriented brain!

Figure out which ones you can skip then do so :)

I'm getting flashbacks of my first degree years where the humanities and gen ed courses make me want to stab myself in the eyes.

I've left 2 of my classes early this week amd stayed in one only because the dude took attendance wtf lol

So who stays and who goes?

I sadly go, aha.

Some of the lectures are video-recorded so I wouldn't even need to go, but those classes are sandwiched between other classes so I'm on campus anyway.

Thankfully I have thursdays off and only one class on fridays AND start all my classes at 10:30 so life's pretty good waking up at 9.

I did a lot better in my undergrad degree once I skipped certain classes. This gave me time for assignments and studying on my own. Oh, and I maintained 2 jobs simulatenously while enrolled in my studies. And, not to mention all the ECs... Time is precious, you do what you have to do to fit it all in :) If attending certain classes was a time waster for me, I'd cut it out.

I'm pretty sure I learn best on my own. And everyone is different, but that's what works best for me. I gain almost nothing from lectures, unless the prof is awesome (rare), I'm interested in the material (super rare - I disliked my degree choice), or discussion is a major part of the class. Sometimes, though, in classes where participation was mandatory I would attend, and I was such a bad kid - I would work on assignments.

I skipped a lot of classes in earlier undergrad years (lectures were recorded though). In upper years you can't really because classes are small so the prof will notice if you're gone. If they notice you're never around, you probably won't get a good grade even if you really know the material.

I sadly go, aha.

Some of the lectures are video-recorded so I wouldn't even need to go, but those classes are sandwiched between other classes so I'm on campus anyway.

Thankfully I have thursdays off and only one class on fridays AND start all my classes at 10:30 so life's pretty good waking up at 9.

Are you kidding me, how is that even possible. I have class at 8:30 monday through wednesday, and dont finish until 7 pm and because I am taking bio as an elective I am not done till 10pm. thursday and friday are total writeoffs.. man engineering sucks.. lol.

I go to every class, and usually sit front row centre, I learn better that way.

I skipped a lot of classes in earlier undergrad years (lectures were recorded though). In upper years you can't really because classes are small so the prof will notice if you're gone. If they notice you're never around, you probably won't get a good grade even if you really know the material.

Not true when exam is MC. I aced a course w/o attending lectures and prof was unhappy camper but couldn't do anything about it. :D

Are you kidding me' date=' how is that even possible. I have class at 8:30 monday through wednesday, and dont finish until 7 pm and because I am taking bio as an elective I am not done till 10pm. thursday and friday are total writeoffs.. man engineering sucks.. lol.

I go to every class, and usually sit front row centre, I learn better that way.[/quote']

Yeah I feel like an art kid, LOL.

That really sucks. Sounds like my friends schedule at UofT, he's in engineering as well and man do I get an earful.

Went to class in undergrad, I liked being able to ask questions if something was unclear :) ...but just because I went doesn't mean I was awake.

I also felt like I ought to go because otherwise my tuition is just paying for writing the midterm and the final, not for being taught by and wasting the time of a professor...

I attend all of my class, I don't really learn by just reading the textbook and also have the justification that I'm paying for this class and I should be there for it. Also give me a chance to ask the prof right after if I have any questions or to know if I can stop by later to discuss the material further.

It seems to be a lot more profs are using clickers to answer inclass question for 4 or 5%, which are basically free marks for showing up.

I go to class. I transferred to my current school a couple years ago because it has small class sizes. If I miss class, my professors notice. This has helped me to build really solid relationships with all of my professors, which is great!

But yeah, hard to skip class when I am close with the prof.

I honestly had no idea so many people on this forum skip classes. I rarely skip a class, and if I do it's because I have an exam the next block or something, and know I won't be able to concentrate.

The major benefit, I think , to going to class is that you can get a really good feel for exactly what the prof is emphasizing, and therefore what will be on the exam. Class time is my major study time. I go to class prepared to pay total attention to what is being discussed.

I sit front/centre too. Maybe I'm just a big nerd. :D

I honestly had no idea so many people on this forum skip classes. I rarely skip a class, and if I do it's because I have an exam the next block or something, and know I won't be able to concentrate.

The major benefit, I think , to going to class is that you can get a really good feel for exactly what the prof is emphasizing, and therefore what will be on the exam. Class time is my major study time. I go to class prepared to pay total attention to what is being discussed.

I sit front/centre too. Maybe I'm just a big nerd. :D

yeah I find it hard to skip class though if it's not recorded lol I can't do that. My conscience will eat me aliiiveee!

Ahh I hate those recordings!! The fact that they are there makes me feel like I never have to go to class, but then I never listen/watch the recordings either.

I go to class if I have another class after the recording but sometimes I don't. This class I have now has a VIDEO recording LIVE lol Im so impressed.. and so lazy. I watch them though.

Interesting responses. I'm hoping it was just the first week and that we'll get into some actual learning this week.

I should note, I am mainly referring to just the gen ed/humanities types of courses and that's likely because I've been there, done that and also, perhaps, due to my age/life experience.

It's not a snobbery thing on my part that I feel I don't NEED to be in class but if I am there I WANT to be TAUGHT something that I can't read in a textbook.

yeah, i know the feeling, i'd go to all of my 3 hour 400 level seminars because there was only 10 people and it was ultra interesting, there wasn't a text, just a bunch of books you could read if you'd like, but you don't have too... on top of the class being interesting, if you miss a class, then you miss out on a lot that isn't rote from the book... i remember my first class ever, econ 101, i think i went to like 2 classes besides the midterm and got an a+, i was also taking greek mythology which was uber interesting and with no text and i never missed a class, barely got an a-, all classes are definitely not created equal

Interesting responses. I'm hoping it was just the first week and that we'll get into some actual learning this week.

I should note, I am mainly referring to just the gen ed/humanities types of courses and that's likely because I've been there, done that and also, perhaps, due to my age/life experience.

It's not a snobbery thing on my part that I feel I don't NEED to be in class but if I am there I WANT to be TAUGHT something that I can't read in a textbook.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived