Premed 101 Forums

Your Facebook name and Carms

Now that we've hit clerkship, I see a lot of people changing their facebook names. My feeling is that it is 99.99% hyped up paranoia. Your facebook "friends" will know who you are anyway and no resident or selection committee member is going to bother to try to hack into your profile (except for 0.01% of the time?). Essentially, it's a bunch of tomfoolery unless I'm missing something.

There's nothing on my FB that I won't be comfortable showing a CaRMS committee.

Maybe except for my love of clothes. LOL.

lol!

My sister changed her FB name last winter when she was taking her bar exam because she said they were told FB could prevent them from finding internships and all (even though there was nothing bad on there). I think it's paranoia really... I have a bunch of residents, and some now staff, on my FB friends list so they obviously had no problem getting residencies.

For me, it's more about patients not looking me up.

I would've also just changed my privacy settings, but I recently had an incident involving a person who I have on limited profile settings comment about things they should NOT be seeing on my FB under the current settings. That proved to me that I should be doing more than simply altering my privacy settings. Hence the name change.

I use a short form of my name. You can't search me up using my real name and even if you used my short form you'll still get a bunch of foreigners.

I know a lot of people in my class who've substituted their last name with their middle name and so forth. Not sure how much that'll protect against someone who probably has your full name.

There's nothing on my FB that I won't be comfortable showing a CaRMS committee.
This.

I don't get the name changing business... Just seems like a pain in the ass. Just turn off the ability for non-friends to search your name. Presto, no one you don't approve of can find you.
This as well.

Ironically changing your name doesn't even prevent you from being found. You can still be found through many different ways, the easiest of which is the email address which they have on your file. The only way you can prevent it is by changing your searchability in your privacy settings, and then you don't even have to change your name.

Of course if you're the type of person that has 500-1000+ friends on Facebook, there's always the chance one of those people has some connection to someone in a program who could then view your information. The easiest solution is to delete your FB account during CaRMS and maybe even starting a new fake one....or just behave yourself.

Ironically changing your name doesn't even prevent you from being found. You can still be found through many different ways, the easiest of which is the email address which they have on your file. The only way you can prevent it is by changing your searchability in your privacy settings, and then you don't even have to change your name.

Of course if you're the type of person that has 500-1000+ friends on Facebook, there's always the chance one of those people has some connection to someone in a program who could then view your information. The easiest solution is to delete your FB account during CaRMS and maybe even starting a new fake one....or just behave yourself.

lol, easier said than done?

Archived