Premed 101 Forums

English Courses

Curi0user

Most of us are science kids so writing essays are definitely not our thing. Does anyone have any advice when dealing with courses like these? I just got my first essay back: B+. And I really tried. I'm starting to get really scared.

How did you guys manage?? I find classes like these too subjective to even do well in - you either got it or you don't.

Essays are really subjective. And your prof/TA is comparing you to other English students. Go talk to the prof, explain that you're a science student and that you want to do well in the class. Then ask what exactly was wrong with your essay, what they're looking for, how you can improve in the future. The worst that will happen is that the prof will be of no help to you. However, I've found that profs (for the most part) want students to do well if the student puts in the effort.

Also, next time you have an essay to write, make a general outline or rough draft. Then go to the prof with your ideas and check to see if you're on the right track or if there's more you can do to get a higher grade. They may say that they can't help, but people are generally nice. Also, make friends with your classmates and see if they have suggestions on what the prof is looking for.

Most of us are science kids so writing essays are definitely not our thing. Does anyone have any advice when dealing with courses like these? I just got my first essay back: B+. And I really tried. I'm starting to get really scared.

How did you guys manage?? I find classes like these too subjective to even do well in - you either got it or you don't.

If you got a B+ on your first university essay, you're in awesome shape. That's something to be very proud of.

There are plenty of opportunities to go from here. First, look at the feedback on your essay. Do you completely understand it and why you got the mark? If not, go talk to your TA. Start your next essay super early - go to any writing resources available at your school (we have a proofreading service here at Queen's which is super helpful), and definitely talk to your TA. If your TA seems cool, I'd even tell them your goal: that you want to get into med school, that you need an A- in the class and really want to do even better in the class. Show them that you're passionate and interested in the material. Get THEIR input on your next essay as well.

I found talking to TAs to be huge. Did very well in two essay-based courses, and I'm sure at least part of it was going in to elicit their feedback. They were probably much more inclined to give me high marks (and far less likely to give me lower marks) if they knew who I was and what I wanted to do.

Thanks guys, awesome advice. I'm just worried because my TA and the class all together seems to hate science kids. In class my prof even cracks jokes about them. So I try not to tell anyone I'm new at this, my attitude was to fake it til I make it. But I dont know, my TA is one of those really weird "I know more than all of you so shut up" type of people.

Her only advice was "add more of x in!" which is kind of hard when you have a limited amount of pages you can use...

this is why I hate writing!

Thanks guys, awesome advice. I'm just worried because my TA and the class all together seems to hate science kids. In class my prof even cracks jokes about them. So I try not to tell anyone I'm new at this, my attitude was to fake it til I make it. But I dont know, my TA is one of those really weird "I know more than all of you so shut up" type of people.

Her only advice was "add more of x in!" which is kind of hard when you have a limited amount of pages you can use...

anytime you want some help I'm happy to give a read and offer some insight. I am not nor ever was an english major but I do know how to write well but my number one suggestion is going to the York writing centre.

I will likely make a trip there now and again just because business writing is a bit different than academic writing so I want to make sure I don't have any slip ups in presentation. I know my ideas and thoughts will be articulated well but that's not my concern - academic types can be annoying when it comes to writing hehe

Nothing will impress a TA who hates science kids more than a science kid who seems genuinely interested in the material.

It is subjective, just do your best. Learning to write is one of the few useful skills one can acquire during an undergraduate degree. Even if you don't believe me, you'll need it to get through the MCAT.

I ended up switching my major to English during my third year of undergrad and certainly experienced frustration with the occasional prof whose ideas and mine just did not mesh. I would strongly urge you NOT to tell your TA you want to get into medical school and need at least an A-....this has a much higher chance of back-firing on you. I got a B in english for business students (ie "technical writing") during my first semester of university - mostly because I spent good chunks of the class arguing with my master's student TA who I was pretty sure came to the university every morning on the short bus. She got the last laugh though - lesson learned. Find out what they want and kiss a reasonable amount of ass, but not in that annoying pre-med way.

Somehow, this too will pass.

I just wrote out a long response but unfortunately I pressed something and the whole thing deleted itself.... Ugh. Anyways:

1) To repeat what everyone else said above, talk to your TA/prof. More importantly, go over your main points for your next essay with them and get their input on what you want to write about before you start writing.

2) Make outlines for your essays.

3) Review the essay you just got back to determine what the most common grammatical errors you make are (e.g. comma splices; overusing gerunds; overusing the passive voice (!!!!) )Then when you are editing your next essay keep a special eye out for the mistakes you tend towards.

4) Print your essays off and read them aloud with a pen to mark them up as editing instead of editing straight on your computer screen. Do this several times.

5) Spend at least as long, if not longer, editing you essay than you spend writing it.

I'm a science student turned English major... those are the best tips I can come up with.

Archived