Premed 101 Forums

Med School Sucks

xkittens

IMO real life is midway between what this guy says, and what the super-idealistic "I love med school sooooo much" people say. There are terrible, brutal workload times; but this guy seems way too sensitive to the "de-humanization" that happens in clerkship, which I really didnt find to be a big issue, except with a few very select drs who were total *******s.

IMO real life is midway between what this guy says, and what the super-idealistic "I love med school sooooo much" people say. There are terrible, brutal workload times; but this guy seems way too sensitive to the "de-humanization" that happens in clerkship, which I really didnt find to be a big issue, except with a few very select drs who were total *******s.

That desensitization probably depends on your faculty a lot, I haven't hit clerkship yet but already I've seen some doctors that genuinely care about patients and some doctors who care more about their bottom line. You just gotta pick which ones to model yourself after, carefully. But I'm just a preclerk right now so Idk.

I am with Mithril, though we have only had half a semester of exposure :)

We've also done very, very little clinical stuff. An odd tidbit here and there, but for the most part this is general science/physiology kinda stuff. I'm not suggesting it's going to change when the clinical part comes, just that we really have no idea what it might be like.

And for the record I'm really enjoying it as well. Except for Doctor, Patient, & Society - those touchy feely courses are just not up my alley and feel like a big waste of time and brain space.

Not sure if I believe some of the anecdotes:

on the peds section s/he? says that a resident let an intern try getting an LP 5 times from a screaming kid... Sounds fishy to me. What is this, some sort of backwoods hospital?

And then s/he? spends minutes deciding whether to report a kid with wheezing, fails to call a code, and then the nurses come in and find him dead? hmmm...

It all seems pretty cynical, even for a clerk.

Not sure if I believe some of the anecdotes:

And then s/he? spends minutes deciding whether to report a kid with wheezing, fails to call a code, and then the nurses come in and find him dead? hmmm...

It all seems pretty cynical, even for a clerk.

I think that one was part of a dream sequence.

I am not surprised at some of these anecdotes, actually. One of my friends at a US school asked me for help with CaRMS interviews last year, as he was considering coming back to Canada for residency but had some questions about our training. He was genuinely surprised to hear that residents are supervised. He said at his school (which is pretty good), residents are only supervised if they are working with insured patients. If it's a homeless person or someone on Medicare/Medicaid, the residents are just told to "practice" on these patients and do whatever they want to without the attending's input. I was rather disturbed, personally.

I think that one was part of a dream sequence.

I am not surprised at some of these anecdotes, actually. One of my friends at a US school asked me for help with CaRMS interviews last year, as he was considering coming back to Canada for residency but had some questions about our training. He was genuinely surprised to hear that residents are supervised. He said at his school (which is pretty good), residents are only supervised if they are working with insured patients. If it's a homeless person or someone on Medicare/Medicaid, the residents are just told to "practice" on these patients and do whatever they want to without the attending's input. I was rather disturbed, personally.

As I would have been as well.

Goes to show the discriminate level of care between the two systems. While the lower income (poor) are a drain on our health systems (facts to back it up so please don't anyone think I am making assumptions) I am glad that these people are treated as equal as someone making $40K, $70K or $100K and it actually repulses me that care in the US functions in such a manner that it does towards those without insurance which can typically be distilled down to the financially depressed because who would willingly go without insurance this day in age if they could afford it?

Are you serious? How is no one in the US outraged by this? Maybe it was just that one attending....I certainly hope so.

If it's a homeless person or someone on Medicare/Medicaid, the residents are just told to "practice" on these patients and do whatever they want to without the attending's input. I was rather disturbed, personally.

Are you serious? How is no one in the US outraged by this? Maybe it was just that one attending....I certainly hope so.

Like any job with good amounts of dark humour, ths probably gets said alot more than it is practiced. (I hope). I was having a good conversation with a nurse today about this - at least in Edmonton, we seem to have a very good hospital employee culture - not too unethical or dark humoured, decent amount of interdisciplinary respect, somewhat fun ORs. I really hope that these stories are the fringe and that a healthy culture could weed out those situations...

Archived