Premed 101 Forums

Masters during Residency

Hey everyone,

I'm curious as to the surgical programs that offer the opportunity to undertake a Masters degree during residency. It appears that some programs - particularly Gen Surg - offer time to pursue an MSc., Ph.D., or even MPH. I was interested in doing something along these lines in the future.

I was curious as to whether anyone can speak more to the schools at which this is available, particularly for GS or Uro, and whether we can head down to the US to do these electives. I have heard of GS fellows who have gone to Harvard or Stanford to complete a Masters during PGY3 or 4.

Thanks

Look at Mac's surgeon scientist program. It's open to all surgical programs.

Hey everyone,

I'm curious as to the surgical programs that offer the opportunity to undertake a Masters degree during residency. It appears that some programs - particularly Gen Surg - offer time to pursue an MSc., Ph.D., or even MPH. I was interested in doing something along these lines in the future.

I was curious as to whether anyone can speak more to the schools at which this is available, particularly for GS or Uro, and whether we can head down to the US to do these electives. I have heard of GS fellows who have gone to Harvard or Stanford to complete a Masters during PGY3 or 4.

Thanks

Check out the CaRMS program directory and residency websites for further info - I know the general surgery residents at Western have a year which they can use to pursue the opportunities you've mentioned.. there is also the Clinician Investigator Program, which should be available at almost all schools, if one wishes to extend their residency training to include a MSc or PhD.

• 3 months later...

Western Gen Surg allows you to do a Masters during your third year, without having to add an additional year of training. Residents have done MBA;s, Epidemiology, Public Health, Engineering and Masters in education.

I believe many of the cardiac surgery programs allow similar.

Schools attended include: Harvard, McMaster, U of T, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine & Western

Western Gen Surg allows you to do a Masters during your third year, without having to add an additional year of training. Residents have done MBA;s, Epidemiology, Public Health, Engineering and Masters in education.

I believe many of the cardiac surgery programs allow similar.

Schools attended include: Harvard, McMaster, U of T, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine & Western

Definitely the case for cardiac as well - just a reflection in the program of how important research is to that field.

• 3 months later...

You'd either use elective months or take a year or two off during residency to complete the masters. Many residency programs have provisions to fund you a resident's salary during this time, hence the benefit of doing a masters during residency.

You'd either use elective months or take a year or two off during residency to complete the masters. Many residency programs have provisions to fund you a resident's salary during this time, hence the benefit of doing a masters during residency.

Ok that makes so much more sense but wouldn't you compromise your training by taking a year or two off in the middle of residency, especially for surgical residencies?

I think it's pretty common to do master's during residency (>=5-year long residencies)

A protected research time is guaranteed in many residencies (Esp. in big centres with a large focus on research)

For some medical subspecialties (maybe except for super-busy ones like CCM or cardio), it seemed to me that clinic hours were minimal when research was going on for residents (e.g. full-time research with maybe half-a-day clinic/week + >1/4 call). It probably depends on the residency/school.

I think it's pretty common to do master's during residency (>=5-year long residencies)

A protected research time is guaranteed in many residencies (Esp. in big centres with a large focus on research)

For some medical subspecialties (maybe except for super-busy ones like CCM or cardio), it seemed to me that clinic hours were minimal when research was going on for residents (e.g. full-time research with maybe half-a-day clinic/week + >1/4 call). It probably depends on the residency/school.

I wouldn't say it's common, but certainly not unheard of.

i understand you're paid a resident's salary, but is funding for the degree usually included? how does that work?

i'd like to pursue a master's degree during a surgical residency, but the loc is dwindling so very quickly...

Archived