• 130-135
    • 135-140
    • 140-145
    • 145-150
    • >150

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't let it discourage you. What counts is good academics, a well adjusted life and the proper personality to practice medicine.

If you do well in sciences, don't switch to humanities. Their classes are easier to pass, but it is much harder to get an A+.

how does he know he know his actual IQ is 97? You would have to do a test like 5x to get a good idea of where you are at, so many factors can skew results in one direction.

Personally, I think IQ has 0 correlation with how well you perform in university.

I know for a fact that my IQ is nowhere near 127, I actually think I'm around average ~100.

Don't go into humanities thinking that it'll be easier, switch only if you're interested in that type of stuff, and assuming that you are pretty good at writing essays.

Does anybody know what are the stats of non-life science,biomed and health science kids getting into med schools? I think they would make up about 15% of the students at med schools, not sure though.

Personally, I think IQ has 0 correlation with how well you perform in university.

I know for a fact that my IQ is nowhere near 127, I actually think I'm around average ~100.

Don't go into humanities thinking that it'll be easier, switch only if you're interested in that type of stuff, and assuming that you are pretty good at writing essays.

Does anybody know what are the stats of non-life science,biomed and health science kids getting into med schools? I think they would make up about 15% of the students at med schools, not sure though.

I think anybody can do well, but your IQ could help you in some fields. For example, the guy who has an IQ of 140 in maths may find it easier than the guy who has a math IQ of 90.

But you can't say IQ has 0 correlation, because if someone has an IQ of less than 85, he may have a very hard time performing in university.

All the kids who got into university are already pretty smart, or they wouldn't have made it. Im saying after you get into uni i doubt IQ plays a significant factor in how well you perform.

Well you gotta keep that in perspective. The reality is someone with an IQ of 150, who works equally hard as someone with an IQ of 110, will do much better in the end.

I'm sure you're quite above average since again... average people do not make it into university at all. So we can say an "average" uni student is above average intelligence. Then someone who has a legit shot of making it into med school is a step smarter as well because the average uni student has no shot at getting a 3.8 or whatever + a good MCAT (since the MCAT is scaled anyway).

Well you gotta keep that in perspective. The reality is someone with an IQ of 150, who works equally hard as someone with an IQ of 110, will do much better in the end.

I'm sure you're quite above average since again... average people do not make it into university at all. So we can say an "average" uni student is above average intelligence. Then someone who has a legit shot of making it into med school is a step smarter as well because the average uni student has no shot at getting a 3.8 or whatever + a good MCAT (since the MCAT is scaled anyway).

People can overcome average ability with an excellent work ethic and determination. Just like the old Mark Twain quote goes "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog".

People can overcome average ability with an excellent work ethic and determination. Just like the old Mark Twain quote goes "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog".

yes but those people make up a minority in university. Basically someone who's naturally a 65 average student puts in a ton of work to become a high 70s average student and gets into a uni.

yes but those people make up a minority in university. Basically someone who's naturally a 65 average student puts in a ton of work to become a high 70s average student and gets into a uni.

Unless that naturally 65 average student just never knew how to study efficiently, or was taking classes that really didn't fit their skills. Or natural for that student was never going to class and never doing their assignments or anything like that. I suppose you could call showing up to class a ton of work for them if you'd like. People can change their study habits and do much better in school.

I guess that didn't really address IQ. I've never taken a legitimate IQ test but as far as the internet ones that people are throwing out, I'm guessing those don't test every aspect of what the true concept of IQ is. Maybe they can't actually test the person's true IQ because that person never really learned how to unlock their true potential for thinking processes, or just never cared enough to learn them, and so never learned the information required to answer the questions on those tests.

this is a good example, i really struggle in overly structured environments like the traditional mandatory classroom, looking back i really think it had a lot to do with both lack of interest in the subjects we did in high school, as well, really surprisingly, not being able to sleep according to my natural sleep schedule, the moment i got to schedule my earliest classes at noon, in university (i study best from like 10 pm - 4 am), my marks skyrocketed, i just mention it because it was a really minor thing, amongst other things that really made a difference in my performance, we're really complex beyond measure.

Unless that naturally 65 average student just never knew how to study efficiently, or was taking classes that really didn't fit their skills. Or natural for that student was never going to class and never doing their assignments or anything like that. I suppose you could call showing up to class a ton of work for them if you'd like. People can change their study habits and do much better in school.

people can overcome average ability by working to develop excellent ability over time (ability changes, if you put in extreme work). i'm not saying that anyone can go out and be alex ovechkin, but even looking at dwayne roloson is a great example, a marginal rookie backup who was projected to play a couple seasons in the nhl, at best, at around 30, and he's playing as the leagues oldest starter now at 42, he's known to have an extremely rigorous training regimen, disciplined diet, works with sports psychologists.

susan polgar's documentary clearly shows that we can arbitrarily develop genius (declare, at age 5, that your daughter will be the first female grandmaster and make it happen...).

what about wittgenstein learning and mastering formal logic in 2 years (literally working 16 hours a day), to the point where he was able to disrobe bertrand russel by showing the inconsistency of formal logic against the pre-eminent philosopher at the time, and quite easily as well. people really under estimate the potential of extreme passion or dedication and what it can push you too. of course, this isnt a purely nature based ideology, but it's one that really respects personality and motivations potential to motivate people to make extreme changes to their brains (Nietschze wrote the first volume of thus spoke zarathustra in like 11 days. Kerouac wrote on the road in 21 days, although on a benzedrine binge). anyhoo, point is that you can adapt and learn a different way to do things if you're disadvantaged in the way people traditionally do things (i have uber small hands so gave up when i first started guitar, picked up bass, and now my hand flexibility, convulutability, lol and strength are so much that i can play bizarre chords people with huge hands can't play on 12 guage strings (which still feel flimsy to me, now consider standard guitar strings is a 9 guage in size). in the end, there are multiple means to an ends, and if you're creative, you can learn to produce the ends using a method that caters to your advantages or different approach.

I guess that didn't really address IQ. I've never taken a legitimate IQ test but as far as the internet ones that people are throwing out, I'm guessing those don't test every aspect of what the true concept of IQ is. Maybe they can't actually test the person's true IQ because that person never really learned how to unlock their true potential for thinking processes, or just never cared enough to learn them, and so never learned the information required to answer the questions on those tests.

That's not my point. A big chunk of the people I knew in high school, did a "solid" amount of work. As in doing some studying before tests, showing up to class and being an average student. They would achieve mid 60s and low 70s. A lot of the people I know in uni did just as much work as them and still got an 80 average. The really smart people got a 90 average while doing that much work and so on. The people who didn't really do much at all, got high 50s and low 60s. And these were in university level classes, not college/workplace (in high school).

Mine was tested once in high school with the rest of my class. Like I said, I got a really low score which I considered a joke.

really?

I didn't know schools would do such a thing.. It would bring down the confidence of so many students when they find out what their IQ is and what their peers IQ is .. where/when was this?

Archived