Premed 101 Forums

Sleep <-- I hate Sleep

bored

Takes away a lot of my time away from me. I probably should be using my time more wisely and not compromising my sleep times.. but I think if i slept less (something like 4-6 hours a day), I would be able to accomplish so much more.. Currently, I sleep 8 hours a day of sleep. If I sleep 6 hours, I would feel very tired at around 5 pm the next day and my studying efficiency would go down the drain from 5 pm till the next day..

I read here that some people on this forum are able to sleep for 4-6 hours or less and still be very much awake to learn and study.. How did you guys train your self to do this? heck I'm sure people do this because in other countries the curriculum is so hard, that they have to do this or they can't get good grades.

lols. def no expert here, but i'm sure there are good arguments for both sides... some will tell you that ya you could make due with less, and some will say your amount is fine. i always just remind myself that proper sleeping and eating is part of being as efficient as possible, so i don't feel too guilty about getting good rests.

try 6 hours with a 30 minute power nap in mid afternoon and see what happens

Ill give it a try this weekend.. But what happens on a weekday when I'm out all day pretty much and come home late?

I am an insomniac...

Sleep --> I love sleep. Can't get enough of it. Literally.

Seriously, to me, it's a gift to be able to have 8 hours of sleep.

The thing is, I am forced to sleep 8 hours a day, I like to call it my weakness.. because If I don't, Then Ill regret it for the rest of the day.. I don't have much choice

Takes away a lot of my time away from me. I probably should be using my time more wisely and not compromising my sleep times.. but I think if i slept less (something like 4-6 hours a day), I would be able to accomplish so much more.. Currently, I sleep 8 hours a day of sleep. If I sleep 6 hours, I would feel very tired at around 5 pm the next day and my studying efficiency would go down the drain from 5 pm till the next day..

I read here that some people on this forum are able to sleep for 4-6 hours or less and still be very much awake to learn and study.. How did you guys train your self to do this? heck I'm sure people do this because in other countries the curriculum is so hard, that they have to do this or they can't get good grades.

Lol you are not alone...if I don't sleep for at least 10 hours, I act like zombie. Now lets get back to my sleep!!! :P

I LOVE sleep! Its my most favourite activity. Its the greatest feeling to go to bed and fall asleep (IMO). And the worst feeling waking up. Especially early. Oddly sleeping in lectures is very satisfying too. :rolleyes:

I even take afternoon naps. Sometimes I have a 2hr break which is very nap friendly. For some reason I like falling asleep in broad daylight. :D

lol I am pretty sure we all love sleep, but sometimes cutting back CAN give you some more efficient study time. For me, I can slowly train my body to live off 6 hours sleep per day during exam period. However, that's only if I am studying all day and not going anywhere. On a typical school day, I also feel tired at around 5-6 pm if I haven't had enough sleep (ie 6 hrs on school day is usually a bit low...unless I have an exam, then the adrenaline keeps me awake!).

You can try cutting back by like 30 minutes a day, and see what your body can handle. I also find that sleeping later, and waking later lets me sleep less but not result in fatigue throughout the day. Of course, that's not always practical b/c you might have morning classes, but that's usually what I end up as during exam period - a total night hawk lol. (ie sleep at 4am, wake up at 10, or max, 11 am). I just can't do that if I went to bed at like 11pm and tried waking up 5am, it doesn't work, I am still tired.

i've been researching sleep for a long time, because i want to get down to 6 hours a day (which i've been able to do, it's sort of the point i can get down to and feel as refreshed as a normal 8 hrs). i wont go into all of the different things i do since i don't have a couple hours, but one is polyphasic sleep, i don't do this, but it works for a lot of people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

there's also been recent studies that have been able to pinpoint specific mutations in family members who require only a couple hours of sleep a day. this is actually a really cool research area, you should look into it, there's so many questions that potential discoveries are limitless, i know a prof who does research into this and certain brain wave synchronization with respect to memory and use to think his stuff was really boring until i realized the potential for real life application.

you could also talk to your doc and give modafinil a try, that's another mystery, i used it when i was cutting back my coffee intake and it's quite insane in it's efficacy.

another thing is sleeping according to your natural circadian rhythyms, about 10 percent of the population are wired to sleep late (delayed onset sleep disorder) with another 10 percent naturally early risers, i feel much more rested sleeping from 5 AM to 11 AM than I would from 11 PM to 5 AM.

lol I am pretty sure we all love sleep, but sometimes cutting back CAN give you some more efficient study time. For me, I can slowly train my body to live off 6 hours sleep per day during exam period. However, that's only if I am studying all day and not going anywhere. On a typical school day, I also feel tired at around 5-6 pm if I haven't had enough sleep (ie 6 hrs on school day is usually a bit low...unless I have an exam, then the adrenaline keeps me awake!).

You can try cutting back by like 30 minutes a day, and see what your body can handle. I also find that sleeping later, and waking later lets me sleep less but not result in fatigue throughout the day. Of course, that's not always practical b/c you might have morning classes, but that's usually what I end up as during exam period - a total night hawk lol. (ie sleep at 4am, wake up at 10, or max, 11 am). I just can't do that if I went to bed at like 11pm and tried waking up 5am, it doesn't work, I am still tired.

there's also been recent studies that have been able to pinpoint specific mutations in family members who require only a couple hours of sleep a day. this is actually a really cool research area

Very interesting. I require 4 hours sleep with a power nap in mid afternoon. 5 hours sleep is my limit, I experimented to see if I can extend it (although I don't need 8 hours sleep) and it does not go over 5 hours. I use these extra hours effectively in my studies, so it is all good.

I can actually make myself sleep only for half an hour during the day (power nap) and feel fine for days. I actually had to do that last semester because there was no other way of keeping on top of things. But I think by day 5 I was starting to see things and walk like a drunk person. Then I slept over the weekend and able to do it all over again the week after. However, this is VERY unhealthy. Don't sacrifice that much sleep for anything.

I would mostly exercise night time. For some reason, blasting music in my room and doing some exercises energized my body and I was able to not sleep. I also have this other part of me - if I'm really passionate about something, I won't be sleeping until it's done and I see the end result.

Try exercising? Power naps are also good. :)

Archived