Premed 101 Forums

Working out

check212

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It only takes an hour a day unless you are a competitive athlete. Just make sure you use it effectively (not much down time). If you can't find that time as a pre-med, you need better time management.

No, you're forgetting that you're tired after a workout so any studying you have planned for at least a few hours after that is usually bupkis. An hour to work out is easy to find, finding a good hour, like a good woman, is the difficult part.

No, you're forgetting that you're tired after a workout so any studying you have planned for at least a few hours after that is usually bupkis. An hour to work out is easy to find, finding a good hour, like a good woman, is the difficult part.

Not really...I find working out is a nice break from school/studying and vice versa.

If you get tired after a workout and only want to lay down, then do it before bed. If there is no way for you to fit in a short period of physical activity without it hindering your academics, then don't work out. You know better than anyone else how your body reacts to the stresses of exercise so plan accordingly. I don't think this is difficult to understand.

Also, what do you mean with the schedule most premeds have? Class time occupies about about 25 hours of your time per week (this includes labs and tutorials) so I don't see how you can be so hard pressed for time even including EC's. Join a recreational sports team.. You'll be getting a better quality exercise than working out and you can list it as an EC. Killing two birds with one stone, as some say.

Most people that complain about time are the ones that waste too much of it. Stop watching reruns of barney and friends and do something productive

If you get tired after a workout and only want to lay down, then do it before bed. If there is no way for you to fit in a short period of physical activity without it hindering your academics, then don't work out. You know better than anyone else how your body reacts to the stresses of exercise so plan accordingly. I don't think this is difficult to understand.

Also, what do you mean with the schedule most premeds have? Class time occupies about about 25 hours of your time per week (this includes labs and tutorials) so I don't see how you can be so hard pressed for time even including EC's. Join a recreational sports team.. You'll be getting a better quality exercise than working out and you can list it as an EC. Killing two birds with one stone, as some say.

Most people that complain about time are the ones that waste too much of it. Stop watching reruns of barney and friends and do something productive

You don't see how it's possible to be hard pressed for time with 25 hours of class a week? You do realize that you should study right after class right? And during your breaks, you should be catching up on work/going ahead if you can. You obviously have either much higher natural aptitude than I if you understand all that and still don't find time a factor, or much lower standards for your grades.

Wait..hold on. You go to York don't you? lol. A U of T student would never say what you're saying.

You don't see how it's possible to be hard pressed for time with 25 hours of class a week? You do realize that you should study right after class right? And during your breaks, you should be catching up on work/going ahead if you can. You obviously have either much higher natural aptitude than I if you understand all that and still don't find time a factor, or much lower standards for your grades.

Wait..hold on. You go to York don't you? lol. A U of T student would never say what you're saying.

I suspect a medigeek/david66 (whatever his name was) clone.

Yes. I do my half hour of cardio to get my heart pumping and it feels amazing afterwards. Then weight training for another half hour. Then I come home and take a shower, I feel 100x more awake.

I'm a bodybuilder + competitive powerlifter. Have more than enough time to workout 15 hours per week (just lifting).

check212, you're probably not getting enough rest, maintaining proper nutrition, or exercising consistently if you're so exhausted after an hour of workout.

Assuming you're a guy and you're hitting the weights, you really need just 1 hour per day, 5 days a week to see some results. That's 1 hour from your door and back, meaning 40 minutes in the gym. those 40 minutes are obviously high intensity with short rests. one muscle group per 3-4 days. check out bodybuilding.com forums for some routines and youtube some mark rippetoe videos for proper techniques.

So you essentially only do one muscle group per week? Like arms one week, shoulders next, etc.?

No, spread it out so you can rest the muscle groups. It depends what you want but a heavy routine of weights 3-4 times a week is usually sufficient for the average person. Try to work each muscle group you want twice a week hard with at least 2 days rest between. If you want to get ripped, it's about 75% diet and 25% working out. Be sure to throw in lots of cardio and ab work.

You must simply resolve to make the time because you know it will make you fitter, sharper, and happier.

The initial commitment may seem daunting, but it really isn't. It will simply become part of your weekly routine.

You will feel better physically and mentally for it.

Watch this video for evidence:

I second Pantalon's post.

I worked 50 hours a week at one point, not including the time it took to commute between Mississauga and Scarborough on a bus. I still found time to train and place 2nd in two figure competitions. At another point in my life, I stopped finding time to work out despite only working 25 hours per week near my home IN A GYM. The difference was where my priorities were at each point in my life. When I take working out like a job I don't want to lose, I always find time to get it done.

I make time to work out at least once a day, be it weights 3x a week or cardio/swimming 5-6x. Sometimes I go early in the morning before class. When I have classes am and pm I go in between. Even if I don't have school, I go train in the morning and then come home and study. It's just too important for my well being.

Archived