Premed 101 Forums

Working out

check212

Speaking of working out, what gyms do you guys go to and how is it?

I'm not form Ontario but I go to Shapes? There's multiple facilities throughout my city. I personally love this gym. It's huge!! and there's every kind of machine you'd want. I just use the treadmill, dumbells, and the abs machines, along with the leg press, leg curl etc. etc.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go wherever is convenient, really. I like goodlife because they are everywhere, making it easy to find a gym close by. I also go to a local community gym and I work at a gym.

I'll be competing in OPA provincials this year in figure. I'm not sure whether OPA likes a softer look or a more hard/ripped look. My symmetry is pretty good, I think. Does OPA host Nationals, or is that the CBBF?

My "girl" routine usually includes one/two of dead lifts, front squats, power cleans or power snatches, then upper body depending on my shoulders. I can't do bench presses with a barbell anymore so I do one-armed presses with dumbbells instead.. don't remember how many years it's been since I used the leg curl machine ;)

I go to the gym at school. It has everything I need in terms of weights and cardio, it's on site, it's almost always open and it's cheap. Only drawback is that the air circulation really sucks so I lose a LOT of water during any session..

I go wherever is convenient, really. I like goodlife because they are everywhere, making it easy to find a gym close by. I also go to a local community gym and I work at a gym.

I'll be competing in OPA provincials this year in figure. I'm not sure whether OPA likes a softer look or a more hard/ripped look. My symmetry is pretty good, I think. Does OPA host Nationals, or is that the CBBF?

Figure is very subjective and never has any consistency in their judging and this coming from someone who does judging for OPA.

My suggestion to you is to come in how you want to come in. Look your best and let the chips fall where they may. One thing, don't come in BB'er ripped. As thats too far from what they want. Other than that just come in at your best and regardless of placing you can say you did your best, which, in a subjective sport thats all you can ask for.

Nationals is done through CBBF. It was in Montreal last year and is in Edmonton this year.

Good luck in your prep :)

Hi Amethysdoc!

I see nothing 'girly' about your workout either. I'm quite the purist myself and stick to mostly the same type of equipment and exercises, though I may shake things up a bit for my prep. Your treadmill stats are awesome! I must concur that I am one of those holding onto the bar at 5 mph :$. I usually do HIIT on treadmill though to get a better workout. My CV fitness does leave a bit to be desired.

Aaronjw, thanks for the tip! I tend to be on the muscular side, so I might tone that down A LITTLE for the next show. I think I will still aim to be a bit more shredded, though. Like you said, you can only come in with the best package YOU can bring and hope for the best. I just hope to hold my own at Provincials. :)

Never liked cardio on machines unless I'm too lazy to go to an indoor track that day. I was a competitive sprinter since the 4th grade, at provincial and national levels so treadmills never appealed to me.

I can understand!! If I'm in a pool, I can't "just" float around.

My knees restrict how much running I can do (at most once a week) so I'm left with escalator and elliptical. Biking indoors I find even more boring though it's most likely what I'll be doing for a while. Wish I could run everyday and enjoy it :/

Never liked cardio on machines unless I'm too lazy to go to an indoor track that day. I was a competitive sprinter since the 4th grade, at provincial and national levels so treadmills never appealed to me.

Do you do everything at the provincial/national level?

I've recently gotten into treadmills. Personally, I think they are a great invention, especially because where I live the winter/spring/fall are dreadful for doing any type of exercise outside, at least for me. Only during the summer I'm able to pull out my rollerblades and do cardio and or run.

haha, sfinch was an uber creep, he sent me weird messages teling me about how he would find me in real life and **** with me and all this stuff... some people on this site need to pop a valium.

Nah, I actually prefer medigeek. Sometimes he's funny/insightful. Kind of like a less wise and less experienced sfinch.

i go indoor track or outside, if it's like minus 10 it's just a matter of dressing up properly, also... outside is good because you can't stop, stop and you'll freeze, hehe. treadmills, i honestly can't even do 15 minutes, my mind wanders since i always listen to music when i run, and eventually i think i'd zone out, step on the side of the running surface, and get thrown of the machine (haha, which would be hilarious, i have to admit).

I've recently gotten into treadmills. Personally, I think they are a great invention, especially because where I live the winter/spring/fall are dreadful for doing any type of exercise outside, at least for me. Only during the summer I'm able to pull out my rollerblades and do cardio and or run.

they need more goodlifes in the praries, in the east theyre like everywhere, i went to one in toronto for like a month, and besides the intially hardcore push to sign you up they're really awesome.

nah, that violates my ethical code. nothing a trip to mexico, and drive to a liberal canadian trained, nearby, resort-suggested doctor, every couple years, couldnt fix though :) - of course, you have to pay the special consultation fee... ;) im jk of course.

Got any you can share? Lol

I'm not form Ontario but I go to Shapes? There's multiple facilities throughout my city. I personally love this gym. It's huge!! and there's every kind of machine you'd want. I just use the treadmill, dumbells, and the abs machines, along with the leg press, leg curl etc. etc.

Never heard! haha. I go to goodlife aswell, to whoever mentioned. :) I love it, was just interested in hearing other places, and maybe there's some that are cheaper out there!

Muse, if you think Goodlife is bad, you should see extreme fitness...they get GANSTER when it comes to sign ups.

Curiouser, if you were wanting to find a cheaper gym, definitely try the local community centers or the boutique gyms. Another option is to look on Craigslist or kijiji for people looking to sell their Goodlife or extreme memberships. You may save some cash buying it off someone as well as bypass the ghettoness that ensues at sign-ups in theses gyms.

I actually can semi agree with the OP's first post. When I was in undergrad, I had a REALLY hard time making time to exercise.

Maybe its because I went to U of T, but everyone around me studied so much that I felt that I should be using the time I spent exercising to study more, to maximize my grades as much as possible. Sounds sort of dumb 5 years later, but its definitely how I felt at the time. Is there "something wrong" with me or my time management? Do I need to "reconsider things?"

I dunno, Im a resident at Toronto now despite my not being able to find time to study in undergrad. And I DID find time to study once in med school and still do so regularly.

I realize the OP was a d-bag once he got offended, but I have to admit, even I got a little irritated reading most of your responses to him. Just thought Id throw the other side out there, since apparently no one else on this forum feels this was (which really surprises me).

I actually can semi agree with the OP's first post. When I was in undergrad, I had a REALLY hard time making time to exercise.

Maybe its because I went to U of T, but everyone around me studied so much that I felt that I should be using the time I spent exercising to study more, to maximize my grades as much as possible. Sounds sort of dumb 5 years later, but its definitely how I felt at the time. Is there "something wrong" with me or my time management? Do I need to "reconsider things?"

I dunno, Im a resident at Toronto now despite my not being able to find time to study in undergrad. And I DID find time to study once in med school and still do so regularly.

I realize the OP was a d-bag once he got offended, but I have to admit, even I got a little irritated reading most of your responses to him. Just thought Id throw the other side out there, since apparently no one else on this forum feels this was (which really surprises me).

I think most of the advice on here was directed towards the majority of people. Obviously people who have to work long hours in UG to support themselves or have other non-negotiable commitments will have a lot of trouble finding the time. This is not the case for most students. The OP admitted he had time but complained about being unable to study in the hours after.

Of course it is difficult to always find time, but in most cases, the time is there so they try to make excuses to justify their decision and laziness. One hour a day is not much and can actually benefit your studying by getting a break mentally and changing things up. Nobody said it was going to be easy, but it's definitely doable in most cases.

You also have to set your priorities. If you would rather use that time to study, that's your decision. You have to decide what you want and what's most important. But many people on here make the time for and so can about 95% of students IMO.

Ya pretty much ;)

Athletics Ontario and Athletics Canada. Compared in MT until age 14, then only AO/AC. (nearly qualified for world youths when I was 16). Ah good times.

Archived