Premed 101 Forums

Official McGill 2011-2012 Interview Acceptance/Regrets Thread

future_doc

Invited (email received last week)

Category & Academic Level: OOP

Current Educational Institution & Location: Toronto, 4th yr UG

GPA or R Score: 3.95 on OMSAS scale

MCAT if applicable: 14/13/13/S

ECs/Volunteering: research-heavy, first-author publications, conference attendance, a number of long-term outreach projects, student council

Other Comments: super excited! English interview on Feb 20th.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is a lottery.

well, know I should think about the next year lottery... I definitely haven't won this round :rolleyes:

...about reviewing the application with an adcom member (which you were talking about yearlier :) )... is it me that should contact them, or they will accept to meet just certaint category of candidates?

and when would be properly to ask for a meeting? (I would prefer to set my study program as soon as possible)

thanks f_d

That's mean I'm refused...

Category & Academic Level: IP

Current Educational Institution & Location: Québec, 2nd yr MSc

GPA or R Score: 3.83 on McGill scale

MCAT if applicable: N/A

ECs/Volunteering: research-heavy, first-author and fourth author publications to date, conference oral presentation, conference poster presentation abroad, four scholarship (from Undergrad to grad, I received a total of 42250$), volunteering in palliative care for veteran, fashion show organizer, student tutoring, psychological help for new undergrad student, lots of minor volunteering in civil sport team and student organization.

Other Comments: Very hard to take this time, 2nd year applying, corrected my present application with advises from adcom last may about my first application.

well, know I should think about the next year lottery... I definitely haven't won this round :rolleyes:

...about reviewing the application with an adcom member (which you were talking about yearlier :) )... is it me that should contact them, or they will accept to meet just certaint category of candidates?

and when would be properly to ask for a meeting? (I would prefer to set my study program as soon as possible)

thanks f_d

The meeting with adcom are in May. You call them to take an appointment. Generally, it's after the notice of acceptance later in march or april.

That's mean I'm refused...

Category & Academic Level: IP

Current Educational Institution & Location: Québec, 2nd yr MSc

GPA or R Score: 3.83 on McGill scale

MCAT if applicable: N/A

ECs/Volunteering: research-heavy, first-author and fourth author publications to date, conference oral presentation, conference poster presentation abroad, four scholarship (from Undergrad to grad, I received a total of 42250$), volunteering in palliative care for veteran, fashion show organizer, student tutoring, psychological help for new undergrad student, lots of minor volunteering in civil sport team and student organization.

Other Comments: Very hard to take this time, 2nd year applying, corrected my present application with advises from adcom last may about my first application.

Had similar application last year (with higher GPA) and got rejected too. Something about our kind of ECs doesn't impress them.

thanks f_d

Contact them, but wait for the season to finish

i have a hard time understanding whats NOT impressing about a kasi perfect GPA, giving back to the community, and doing research.

ur ECs aren't supposed to be 'impressive', their supposed to be representing the fact that you take time to give back, no matter how.

anyway. my opinion.

Again, I feel the exact same way...

i have a hard time understanding whats NOT impressing about a kasi perfect GPA, giving back to the community, and doing research.

ur ECs aren't supposed to be 'impressive', their supposed to be representing the fact that you take time to give back, no matter how.

anyway. my opinion.

Completely agree but you have to somehow make the person reading your app want to meet you and that involves impressing them. I never thought I was impressive: i just thought I worked hard, was passionate, and had dedication. But then again, so do a million other people...

It's a sucky system but a complicated process.

It's really frightening. Most people I know did not understand why I was so relieved and grateful to get the interview : they think "you have all a's and a-" and "you have this and that" but we all know people with great attributes who are rejected. I imagine it has a lot to do with the perceived sincerity of your explanation of why you want to be a doctor, and perhaps the extent to which your ec's do or do not look like resume fodder (quantity vs quality )

In the end it is subjective and a lot of people have high marks

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether the non-trads are lumped in with the IPs and whether all non-trad invitations have been sent.

Thanks.

According to AESmedmcgill twitter feed:

"Non Trad Applicants: 55 applications for roughly a dozen interview spots for 3 positions total. Roughly 1 in 4.6 to be invited"

I'm hoping they're separated too..

Not sure if we can read that as "to be sent"... although they released the stats for the IP and OOP after they finished sending out invites for those, so I presume today's IP invites includes NTs.

**** McGill. This can't be fair, I know that I had a great shot, I can't believe that I don't even get an interview. I know that if I had written everything in English I would have got the interview. What a great form of discimination right there.

Are you more fluent in french and wrote in english?

or do you imply they take in more english candidates?:confused:

Sorry to say that, but from their message on twitter, posted on Feb 01st,

"Attn In Prov applcnts: Anticipated updates to Minerva for invitees is now complete. Notices of regrets will be placed at a later date. Thks"

...I would assume that the status of "Ready for review" means "reject" at this moment,

in case this may soften your mood, I am in the same boat as you are (in the case of McGill)...

Archived