Premed 101 Forums

Count down

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out last year's "waiting..." thread. We got a little crazy waiting for decisions.

I was waiting for this year's tread to be posted! I don't think we'll get that crazy again, although I'm already going slightly bananas.

Anyone else hear about their verifiers? Or any news at all?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm finding it hard to keep March 5/7th out of my head 99% of the time. As for confidence, it's just so hard to tell! It seems like there are so many qualified applicants and just too little spots. I'll just be happy to have this waiting over with either way.

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm finding it hard to keep March 5/7th out of my head 99% of the time. As for confidence, it's just so hard to tell! It seems like there are so many qualified applicants and just too little spots. I'll just be happy to have this waiting over with either way.

Tell me about it! I haven't even applied this cycle (applying in the next one) and I'm getting fidgety over the arrival of March 2013!

Good luck to all!

If you look at the bottom of those pages you will see Date Last Modified. The page that says we will be informed on March 7th was last updated October 4th 2011; the page that says we will be informed on the 5th was last updated on July 28th 2011. So I would guess that the 7th is the more likely date however I have no actual clue.

I just don't know! I hope not, but will that even department be affected by the strike? I haven't heard much about it so I don't know if it is completely school-wide. Good idea sending them an email war485. You'll let us know if you hear anything back?

And good sleuthing simmonsoff! I still choose to believe it's the 5th that we'll find out, it just makes the most sense to me. It's reading week now for most of you right? What are you doing to keep your mind off of this? I need help! haha:p

How long do you have decide to if you would like to accept the offer or not?

If you applied to med schools in Ontario, they send their decision letters in May, no? So it is hard to accept Dal's offers if you haven't seen the other school's decisions, no?

The dal student union sent out an email this morning saying that the earliest possible strike date would be march 10th so the decision letters should not be impacted at all.

If you get accepted, I think you have a few weeks to accept. I believe it is a deposit for a couple of hundred dollars so if you get accepted elsewhere and decided to go to an Ontario school, you would only be out a couple hundred bucks.

How long do you have decide to if you would like to accept the offer or not?

If you applied to med schools in Ontario, they send their decision letters in May, no? So it is hard to accept Dal's offers if you haven't seen the other school's decisions, no?

You would have to pay the deposit (I think $200) to hold your spot until May.

The dal student union sent out an email this morning saying that the earliest possible strike date would be march 10th so the decision letters should not be impacted at all.

bucks.

I didn't hear back from the faculty of medicine but I also got that email about the possible strike, which could be at the earliest March 10. Huzzah for not delaying our letters!

btw, how are you guys keeping your minds off of all this? I'm playing games online and still thinking about it! I need something more distracting.

Maybe they're aiming for Monday but are saying anytime next week to cover their asses in case anything happens. I keep thinking Monday because the waiting is awful! I'm pretty excited to see the stats on the accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread, even if I have bad news to post.

Edit: More news on the strike. Seems like we're safe in terms of finding out next week.

Dal readies students for potential walkout

February 29, 2012 - 5:21pm BY PAT LEE STAFF REPORTER

As talks resume in an effort to thwart a faculty strike at the region’s largest post-secondary institution, Dalhousie University in Halifax is continually updating its 17,000 students in case a walkout occurs.

The school, which is resuming talks with the Dalhousie Faculty Association on Thursday and Friday, updated its website Wednesday to let students know what to expect in case of a strike by 870 professors, instructors, librarians and counsellors.

Faculty members, who voted 83 per cent in favour of a strike, are in a legal walkout position as of March 10.

University spokesman Charles Crosby said administrators are hopeful a settlement is reached but are keeping students abreast of what may happen if classes are suspended.

Crosby said some of the plans are in limbo depending on the length of a strike.

“We’re getting a lot of questions from students as to what a labour disruption would mean to them,” he said.

“Right now, we’re just trying to work out the various variables and come up with as many answers as we can for students. That’s been our main priority.”

Exams are slated to start April 9 and run for two weeks, Crosby said.

A walkout occurred around the same time frame in 2002 but was short-lived enough not to affect exams or the length of the school term.

“If (a strike) happens on March 12, as opposed to a week later, we’re in that zone now where every week changes as the clock is ticking toward the end of the term.”

Pension issues have been the big stumbling block for the two sides.

Dalhousie’s pension plan is underfunded and the university has asked faculty for help, saying that without it, $50 million could be slashed from the operating budget, which could affect student programs.

If a strike occurs, most classes will be cancelled, but according to the university website, co-op placements would continue.

Classes in the schools of dentistry and medicine would also continue during a strike because their faculty are not association members.

The university’s 820 administrative and clerical staff are also in contract talks and waiting for a conciliator to file a report.

Archived