Premed 101 Forums

Practising Dictation

• DO NOT Burp, slurp, cough, sneeze, eat, drink, chew gum, clear nasal passages, "pass wind," urinate or defecate while recording dictation. (Yes, all the aforementioned have been done by physicians while dictating, and yes, you can hear it, and yes it is disgusting - not to mention just plain rude.)

:eek::eek::eek:

• 8 months later...

It depends on what kind of dictation report and they all differ slightly depending on specialties. My only advice is to offer to do dictations whenever possible. It's the only way to get better at it. Dictations used to provoke such intense anxiety but now I'm pretty comfortable (and quick) in doing them.

OH MY GOD THAT IS SO GROSS.

Yes, yes it is.

Ever since those blue took headsets became popular I have seen some doctors using them for dictation - the system is on speed dial for dictation access. It is amazing to watch someone dictate WHILE writing orders. There must be so much flying on autopilot there :)

Just pretend you're talking to someone, and they're going to take over care of this patient, and you're telling them about them.

My dictations still kinda stink, but they're a lot better when I started! :)

so did you have to hire a transcriptioner as a resident? or does the hospital provide you one?

so do transcriptioners basically write your chart for you? :s kinda confused as to how it works

so did you have to hire a transcriptioner as a resident? or does the hospital provide you one?

so do transcriptioners basically write your chart for you? :s kinda confused as to how it works

No the hospital has them on staff - it is for sending letters basically to other teams/doctors - your report of the procedure or clinic visit. The transcription service writes the letter from your little speech and then faxes/mails the report to the other referring doctors or others involved in the care. It also is uploaded to the EMR in most cases so you can view it from any computer in the hospital network.

Chart writing is more for day to day progress updates etc. That is still hand written.

There is a transcription service - I wouldn't hire one if I had to; I'd just type things out.

They write out things for you like discharge summaries, admission reports, consultant notes, etc. Usually these are things that need to be stored in an electrical medical records or be sent to another physician(s).

I don't do daily dictations. Some services, however, dictate progress notes.

May not have a choice - you don't always have access to the EMR that lets you dump in text.

It is just a skill that takes practise....and more practise..... :)

Really? I can bang out a full length high quality consult note in less than 5 minutes no problem by dictating. A follow up note? Less than a minute.

If I write/type/voice recognition out the same info it takes 2-3x as long. And I'm not a slow typerby any means.

Once you get good at dictating, it's easily the fastest way. Also, as a Newf, I speak pretty damned fast, so that helps even more.

Really? I can bang out a full length high quality consult note in less than 5 minutes no problem by dictating. A follow up note? Less than a minute.

If I write/type/voice recognition out the same info it takes 2-3x as long. And I'm not a slow typerby any means.

Once you get good at dictating, it's easily the fastest way. Also, as a Newf, I speak pretty damned fast, so that helps even more.

? Oh I didn't say once you got good at it you weren't blazing through them :) Just that initially a lot of people struggle with the system.

No one, once proficient in dictating, can type out notes faster the dictating them. You don't need to practice - its about having a mental template to ensure you cover everything and sound organized.

For consultations, mine is:

ID:

Referring for:

Referring Service:

Allergies

PMH

Meds

Social Hx

History/Medical Course:

P/E:

Investigations:

BW -

Imaging -

Ancillary -

Impression:

Plan:

CLINIC NOTES:

ID:

Diagnosis:

Plan:

S:

O:

A:

P:

No one, once proficient in dictating, can type out notes faster the dictating them. You don't need to practice - its about having a mental template to ensure you cover everything and sound organized.

ID:

Referring for:

Referring Service:

Allergies

PMH

Meds

Social Hx

History/Medical Course:

P/E:

Investigations:

BW -

Imaging -

Ancillary -

Impression:

Plan:

CLINIC NOTES:

ID:

Diagnosis:

Plan:

S:

O:

A:

P:

I agree. Good dictation is all about having a set format, with set phrasing, you use all the time. People struggle with dictation when they try to make unique notes every time.

Ha - it took me practise just to think in that mental template and not lose track of important data :)

Templates are key though - otherwise you are just blabbering

ID:

Referring for:

Referring Service:

Allergies

PMH

Meds

Social Hx

History/Medical Course:

P/E:

Investigations:

BW -