Premed 101 Forums

Unmotivated & all over the place!

Hi Everybody,

I need some good old fashioned motivation, or advice, or something.

I feel like I am on a fast track to failure and I am not getting any younger - I am 24 now!

I graduated from UBC with a BHK in 2010 and have been working as a Research Coordinator/Assistant in the Healthcare system since May 2010, with a 6 month break when I backpacked through Latin America!

I graduated with less than stellar marks - I know its no excuse, but I dealt with major emotional issues during my 2nd and 3rd year and I feel as though they were a major contribution to my poor marks.

1 yr gpa - (77%) 3.30

2 yr gpa - (72%) 3.00

3 yr gpa - (75%) 3.00

4 yr gpa - (82%) 3.70

I wrote my MCAT (written in 2009) was 8/6/P/6 - less than stellar. I tried to rewrite again last summer, but didn't study the material properly and got a lower score.

I know what I have to do - take a second undergraduate degree:

I have been accepted to UBC's BSc:Nutrition for Sept 2012 start

And I am applying to UOT BSc:Physicians Assistant Program for January 2013 start (I figured it would provide me with a 2nd UG degree as well as give me valid experience and an efficient back up plan).

The problem is - I am terribly unmotivated and have been since scoring poorly on my MCAT last summer.

I am feeling so frustrated with everything, I feel as though I have too many options, and I am terribly overwhelmed. The fact that I may be going back to school for 2 more years (prior to medical school) in a Bachelors program (Nutrition) that I have no real interest in other than to get to medical school frightens me.

I should be studying for my MCAT but I can't get the motivation to self study.

I am so confused. I get scared that perhaps I am not ready to make such sacrifices (like go to Ontario to Medical School - if the mountains and skiing every weekend are what makes me happy) or study for the mcat again.

This is what I have wanted since before I can remember and NOW I am having troubles sacrificing things that make me happy - however, when asked what will bring me happiness in my career - I always picture myself as a physician. What's wrong with me?

Any advice? Has anyone been here?

Cheers!

Think about it this way, forget about your nutrition undergrad not being fun, or interesting, just realize that success in those courses will lead to your ultimate goal. I've read tons from this forum, and let me tell you, a ton of people don't seem to have been all that entertained by what they studied in undergrad. But they weren't concerned with that. They thought about the fact that they wanted to be succesful. I think people do get the wrong idea that every person who goes into medicine loves doing biology, chemistry, etc

I think most of us who want to get into medicine do it to be succesful and I'd wager that HAS to be the reason. (you'll earn enough to be able to dictate other areas of your life) That is what success means to me. Sure, we also go ino it to help people but there are a ton of other jobs where you can help people too. And sure we are all interested in how the body works etc but again that is not what will give you enough motivation to succeed. If you are crazy about the body, go to wikipedia, do some research, and find out some fun facts!

Having said all this, I'm sure we have all struggled with this question. Heck I am still questioning if I can do it. I'm actually on the same road, finishing up my undergrad and knowing I have to do a 2nd degree. I still have the MCAT to do. I still have the prereq's to do. Take it step by step. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. Why can't you find a study partner and really go at it together and then do the MCAT. Heck right now is a great time..you got 4-5 months to go at it before your 2nd degree starts. If you can do well on the MCAT by the start of your nutrition program, you'll go in with all kinds of hope. If you don't, well maybe your decision is made easier.

And the last thing I would say is, don't compare yourself to other people. I am twenty-seven. Your life is your own. What you want to do, how long something may take, how much time you want to put in into achieving it, is all up to you. There is no right or wrong answer. People in their thirty's and forty's go into med school.

Anyways, good luck.

There does seem to be a disconnect between what you want ... get into medical school and to be a physician ... and your actions . You need to ask yourself, how will I achieve my goals by continuing to 1) not studying aptly for the MCAT, 2) Not doing another 2 years at school.

Some people at this point become motivated by realizing that they will not get to where they want to be by continuing their current actions. Some people despite this knowledge will continue with their actions that will not allow them to attain their goals .... this usually occurs due to the person in the said situation to be too comfortable in their current situation. That is their life is not so bad that they really want to make the necessary changes ... making the changes (i.e. styding for the MCAT, 2 more years of undergrad) would be more uncomfortable than continuing your currenty habits and subconsciously you think that you can just delay this believing you can just do it later.

Finally if you know of the discrepancy-dont do anything about it, and are comfortable or uncomfortable with your situation and STILL dont do anything about it then guess what ... you just dont want it and it is not a goal but just a pipe dream.

So all in all my final advice is to realize you will NOT become a doctor with your current actions, get UNCOMFORTABLE with your situation and pursue this dream as if you HAIR WERE ON FIRE .... and then if you are overwhelmed by all the choices, make a map or plan as to how to get there in 'bite sized' steps/chunks so they are manageable. Too many choices is overwhelming so take it a chunk at a time.

Hope that general information can give you some specific results if you apply it ...

Beef

anyone can dream about what they want but very few are willing to make the sacrifices to achieve that dream. look man, no one in the world can motivate you by sending you a message online. the mere process of applying to medical school takes an incredible amount of dedication and motivation. it doesnt sound like you have either, so why not listen to ParaD and take a long break? I know cos i've been where you are man.

I think we exchanged PMs a long time ago jdr, can't remember. In any case, few issues - first, you are probably way overstating your GPA. Your GPA is calculated not by what your average is, but on each course individually and then by averaging your GPA. So if you take 3 courses and have a 100, 91, and 79, your average is 90 but your GPA is not 4.0, it's lower ((4 + 3.9 + 3.3) / 3 = 3.73.

Honestly I think you need to think long and hard about your plans. Your only real chance to get into school in Canada is to do very well on your MCAT. I would question whether that is realistic given your past scores and lack of motivation.

But a bigger issue to me is once you get into medicine. If you haven't been very motivated to work in the past, will you be motivated to work once your primary drive (getting into med school) is gone? What will motivate you to put in the work once you're IN medicine?

I would take substantial time off from school, on the order of several years. Drop the idea of medicine for a bit and see if your motivation really comes back. I just don't see any utility in pursuing the "same-old, same-old" approach when it clearly isn't working.

I agree with a lot of what everyone else said.

The thing is that, I think you have the wrong attitude. You shouldn't be looking to others to motivate you - you should be looking at yourself, because after all, you are doing this for YOU. And YOU clearly don't want it enough - at least, at least that's what your actions are saying.

I'm not sure if you came on the forum to hear "don't worry man, you'll be fine!" and hear some success stories of people getting in with little effort, but getting in to med school is INCREDIBLY hard. Look at the stats, look at the "accept/rejected" thread and see how many stellar students are rejected. Ask yourself, are you willing to do everything you can to give yourself a shot?

I think taking some time off from this dream would do you good. Don't worry about age - if fact, I think getting some maturity would really benefit you.

I will also echo what everyone else has said. Trying to get into medicine without passion is difficult to say the least under the BEST circumstances (great grades, MCAT, and ECs), in circumstances like yours you have to have an absolute fire under you.

If you want it, go get it. If you don't have the motivation then you need to do some soul searching, but DON'T put yourself at a bigger disadvantage by moving forward without adequate motivation.

i can empathize with you...when i was 30 i was getting real tired of working for 8.00 an hour in the BC tourism industry and started to amass school catelogues ( pre internet ) in order to figure out what kind of career i wanted to be in. don't get me wrong i was having a great life, learning all sorts of things, volunteering etc...but i was struggling too. i started receiving effective massages for my back pain and this got my thinking about a career in alternative medicine. no thoughts about being an MD. went through RMT program, excelled in health sciences ( but 1st arts degree really low gpa ) and this career led to nursing. i started nursing with some thoughts of building on this second degree, but not only as an MD. eventually after I finished degree and started working as a nurse i decided to apply for medical school. so i have come to this point after a long journey in health care which had its foundation in working with the public ( tourism, retail, social justice, music ). i could say you are young at 24 but it is all relative; when i was 24 i thought 30 was the end of the world...i would say if you don't like nutrition don't do it. there are other health programs you may feel better about which could help you in your quest. although if you are already accepted and have done the work to get in, who knows where this will lead you. what i do know is that when i felt stuck about which direction to take in terms of a 'career' i used that energy and time to volunteer, or to do something creative. only positive things have come from that. med school entrance is very competitive, i will find out May 15 if that is my next step. however, if it is not, i feel i have a very rewarding life regardless.

i hope this helps a little, from an over 40 applicant

You had better think about it really hard. Getting is a cake walk compared to the amount of commitment and work clerkship is, which is a cake walk compared to residency. You better be damn sure that this is what you want because if you pursue it and it isn't, you are going to have a load of debt and be in a job that takes a HUGE portion of your days.

There does seem to be a disconnect between what you want ... get into medical school and to be a physician ... and your actions . You need to ask yourself, how will I achieve my goals by continuing to 1) not studying aptly for the MCAT, 2) Not doing another 2 years at school.

Some people at this point become motivated by realizing that they will not get to where they want to be by continuing their current actions. Some people despite this knowledge will continue with their actions that will not allow them to attain their goals .... this usually occurs due to the person in the said situation to be too comfortable in their current situation. That is their life is not so bad that they really want to make the necessary changes ... making the changes (i.e. styding for the MCAT, 2 more years of undergrad) would be more uncomfortable than continuing your currenty habits and subconsciously you think that you can just delay this believing you can just do it later.

Finally if you know of the discrepancy-dont do anything about it, and are comfortable or uncomfortable with your situation and STILL dont do anything about it then guess what ... you just dont want it and it is not a goal but just a pipe dream.

So all in all my final advice is to realize you will NOT become a doctor with your current actions, get UNCOMFORTABLE with your situation and pursue this dream as if you HAIR WERE ON FIRE .... and then if you are overwhelmed by all the choices, make a map or plan as to how to get there in 'bite sized' steps/chunks so they are manageable. Too many choices is overwhelming so take it a chunk at a time.

Hope that general information can give you some specific results if you apply it ...

Beef

copied and pasted

I keep a little motivational text document for reference time and again, that was great stuff thank you.

You had better think about it really hard. Getting is a cake walk compared to the amount of commitment and work clerkship is, which is a cake walk compared to residency. You better be damn sure that this is what you want because if you pursue it and it isn't, you are going to have a load of debt and be in a job that takes a HUGE portion of your days.

The last two years are harder than the first? once you are out of school?

That's not what I've heard.

Archived