Premed 101 Forums

Wait List Speculation

In an attempt to make myself as anxious as possible regarding the wait list, I have done some stats. Obviously this is purely speculative. Feel free to correct my math and add or subtract assumptions as you see fit.

My thoughts:

If you check on your application file "app status", you should see that they have posted stats for the minimum waitlist score. 203.05 for IP and 203.09 for OOP. If we assume they used a mean score of 100 for each of pre and post interview and a SD of 15 (as stated by the adcom) for each section, we have a mean score of 200 for all applicants with a SD of 30. Taking the above scores of 203.05 and 203.09, we end up with a z score of 0.1017 for IP and 0.103 for OOP. Assuming a normal distribution, we can convert the z score into a percentile. For IP, 45.95% of interviewed applicants met the above cutoff for the wait list. If we assume 552 (85% of 650) IP interviewees, we get 254 accepted or waitlisted from the IP pool. Assume 144 were accepted outright (85% of 170), we get an IP wait list of 110. The same calculations end up with ~ 20 OOP on the list. A total list of 130. If we take a guess at amount of movement and say 90 will get offers, and we know most of the OOP moves (say 18), then 72 IP should get an offer from the list or 65%. These assumptions resulted in ~69% of the total list moving which is close to what Dr. Walker said (2/3).

Thoughts?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOP and IP are actually on different waiting list.

They only reason why OOP and IP are the on the same list last year is IP total scores are actually higher than OOP, so there is no sense to maintain two lists.

Remember, at least 85 % of seats are reserved for IP, that is, up to 15% seats are open for OOP.

I deferred my acceptance to apply to join LIM, and my understanding is that the UCAN system automatically offers a space to the next candidate on the list. Therefore, it should move as accepted candidates accept/reject/defer offers.

Best of luck!

I deferred my acceptance to apply to join LIM, and my understanding is that the UCAN system automatically offers a space to the next candidate on the list. Therefore, it should move as accepted candidates accept/reject/defer offers.

Best of luck!

That would be amazing if UCAN did it automatically!!!!!!! :eek: Could start as soon as today then?!?!?!?!?

ILUVCROSSFIT: that's my impression, based on the message I received from UCAN and my conversation with staff yesterday. It would be ideal, on their end as well, if it went that smoothly.

Hopefully those deferring and declining do so early and help move the list for everyone.

On my Ucan, it states the lowest score for an Albertan admitted is around 212... Only a 9 pt difference between that and the last person on the waitlist.

It said 213 earlier.... I'm 100% sure! it's going down! The waitlist must be moving already with the few who already declined!! Ugh, why do I work on a computer where I can stalk premed101 all day. :rolleyes:

It said 213 earlier.... I'm 100% sure! it's going down! The waitlist must be moving already with the few who already declined!! Ugh, why do I work on a computer where I can stalk premed101 all day. :rolleyes:

sorry, I didn't round: 212.91

Off we go then!

Good luck everyone

It seems like the waitlist isn't actually moving yet (or is it?). I asked, "When will the waitlist start to move?" and just got this response from Admissions:

Hello,

There is no way of knowing when the wait list will move. When spots open up people on the list will be contacted.

With Regards,

Laurie Simmonds

Office of Admissions & Student Affairs

Faculty of Medicine

University of Calgary

403 220 4262

So it definitely said 213 yesterday but we have all heard how moody UCAN is so it might have just been sorting out it's life. Haha. Anyways, thought I'd give admin office a quick call to clear things up and save myself (and many others) checking constantly.

Here's what I learned:

1. UCAN does not send out new offers manually (unfortunately. nice idea tho.)

2. Dr. Walker sends them out personally on a rolling basis as spots come available.

Since Dr. Walker said he was away for a week, we can assume nothing will happen until next week at least.

Hope that puts at least a few of you out of your misery. :P Good luck everyone!

So it definitely said 213 yesterday but we have all heard how moody UCAN is so it might have just been sorting out it's life. Haha. Anyways, thought I'd give admin office a quick call to clear things up and save myself (and many others) checking constantly.

Here's what I learned:

1. UCAN does not send out new offers manually (unfortunately. nice idea tho.)

2. Dr. Walker sends them out personally on a rolling basis as spots come available.

Since Dr. Walker said he was away for a week, we can assume nothing will happen until next week at least.

Hope that puts at least a few of you out of your misery. :P Good luck everyone!

Much appreciated!

The applicant manual says that the first round of waitlist offers will be sent out on June 1, 2012.

Agreed but it also said that initial offers were to be made on May 15...and then they were sent out earlier...

As well, if the score for the lowest admitted continues to drop, doesn't that mean that wait list offers are being made on a rolling basis?

Archived