Premed 101 Forums

Wait List Speculation

Hmm, is the job in an area that would be beneficial to your career later on? (i.e. I assume you're an engineer, so I'm wondering if the work would count towards your P.Eng.?). If that's the case, I think you could swing a pretty good argument in favor of a defer. At least, it doesn't hurt to try. As an alternative, you could do a MSc with the LiM program, and although that might add on an extra year of delay beyond what you were thinking of, you would come out of it with a masters (probably helpful for carms) and this would allow you to work also (there are even some MSc programs that allow you to do working internships as part of your engineering MSc degree).

I have my MSc (or at least rapidly accelerating towards a my defense). The company is extremely relevant. I will give it a try. Thank you for the suggestion!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just declined my spot (OOP) in favor of another offer.

It was really tough to make the final decision. In the end, since I am a non-trad applicant and have family obligations that make it harder to move, I decided to decline at Calgary. I was really impressed by the school, though. I wish all of you the best while you endure the limbo of being wait listed; I hope that you get in!

Thanks for letting us know!

So does anyone know approximately how long the wait list is? I imagine it can't be toooooo long but it can't be so short that they run out of possible alternates either...

Last year 50 % of interviewers got an offer (eventually) last year. Further we are told 2/3rds or wait listers eventually get in.

634 people were interviewed. That means 317 were accepted and that 147 people moved off the wait list. If 2/3rds were successful then there were about 220 people on the wait list.

Last year 50 % of interviewers got an offer (eventually) last year. Further we are told 2/3rds or wait listers eventually get in.

634 people were interviewed. That means 317 were accepted and that 147 people moved off the wait list. If 2/3rds were successful then there were about 220 people on the wait list.

I think you are incorrect here. I think the list is smaller than I initially thought and that fewer offers are made. Dr. Walker has stated that >170 offers go out initially (but we don't know how many). Furthermore, we know that last year the first round of wait list offers was ~30. Add on the LIM and deferrals as well as people jumping ship and declining wait list offers and maybe you have 60-70 total offers. My new guess is there are only around 100 on the list.

Either way, 135 of 170 spots being spoken for with a week left for decisions to be made doesn't sound very promising to me. I'm hoping there will be >30 offers made in the first round this year, but I doubt it. Movement beyond that first round of offers seems like it is a real crap shoot so we really have no way of knowing how many will get off the list this year.

I think you are incorrect here. I think the list is smaller than I initially thought and that fewer offers are made. Dr. Walker has stated that >170 offers go out initially (but we don't know how many). Furthermore, we know that last year the first round of wait list offers was ~30. Add on the LIM and deferrals as well as people jumping ship and declining wait list offers and maybe you have 60-70 total offers. My new guess is there are only around 100 on the list.

Either way, 135 of 170 spots being spoken for with a week left for decisions to be made doesn't sound very promising to me. I'm hoping there will be >30 offers made in the first round this year, but I doubt it. Movement beyond that first round of offers seems like it is a real crap shoot so we really have no way of knowing how many will get off the list this year.

I think if you consider that most people who are wait listed here would have applied to other places as well and that many younger students (who are less likely to be out right accepted at U of C) are more likely to choose 4 year programs.

Medical school in Canada is effectively the same top 15 to 20% of applicants playing magical chairs. I think that this would lead to a lot of movement on the wait list.

The problem is it is getting worse year after year.

Last year, 30 people from waitlist get offer on the first round. This year, it may be less than 30, this is partially due to the fact that more than 170 offers were made on May 15. I suspect that is the reason why Dr. Walker will wait until June 1 to make offer to those in the waitlist.

After the first batch is out, less and less offer will be made. Last year, it finished at around July 2.:(

Yes but that is a relief in anything. If you haven't heard by mid June then start planning the next year of your life.

If you do not have a graduate degree then get one. Find a non cookie cutter cause you actually care about and spend time and effort with it.

Education inflation is a pain. However the fact is most of the top positions at hospitals go to wonderfully over educated MDs, so doing more school will only help your career.

Also it isn't as if everyone that wants to be a MD gets to be. So just buckle down and try harder, not to please a school but to know you did everything you could, OR give up and you will land on your feet somewhere. If the dream is still alive in 3 years re apply.

My cousin went to medical school because his company thought the education would be helpful to his work. Then he realized he wanted to be an MD and quit his job. He became and MD at 40. He has had a great career, even though he has only been a MD for 20 years, all that other stuff he did gave him a HUGE leg up.

I hope they are going to reform their policies with waitlisting. Obviously, all other aspects of the application process is pretty good with the applicants (except the part where they tend to surprise us with emails sent out earlier than they indicated before, but maybe not a bad thing). Waitlisting seems to cause a lot of unnecessary discomfort for some of the applicants (and some heat on the blog if you guys follow that). Some changes in the future would make sense. In the mean time, just enjoy the summer! Lol.

Looks like the Alberta schools are behind on their wait lists. Many other schools have already released offers. I have also been hearing of May 29 deadlines from other schools (can anyone confirm?). This is likely what those undecided were waiting for... which may not bode well since only a small portion will have gotten off another list at this point meaning there is likely more accepting of offers from those 35 vacant positions before the May 31 deadline. I hope I'm wrong and just overly pessimistic...

Hey team premed,

I never post, but have been stalking this thread hehe.

I just wanted to let the waitlisters know that the waitlist started moving today. People are receiving emails (at least someone OOP has).

Hang on and good luck!

Looks like you are right! Thanks for the info. If the people who came off the OOP waitlist can post here about their stats and/or what they would like to do with their offers, that would be great.

Hey team premed,

I never post, but have been stalking this thread hehe.

I just wanted to let the waitlisters know that the waitlist started moving today. People are receiving emails (at least someone OOP has).

Hang on and good luck!

Congratulations!

hi everyone

i just got off the waitlist for calgary, OOP

verbal 10

wGPA 3.93

ECs are average.

i'm considering all my options before i make a decision. the deadline is june 6, so i'll keep you updated as to whether i'm attending or not!

Edit: If I do reject the offer, I will do it as fast as possible so the next person can move up!

hi everyone

i just got off the waitlist for calgary, OOP

verbal 10

wGPA 3.93

ECs are average.

i'm considering all my options before i make a decision. the deadline is june 6, so i'll keep you updated as to whether i'm attending or not!

Congrats! And thanks for posting this.

http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/2012/05/30/first-waitlist-offers-for-

non-albertans/

Read some of the comments by Dr. Walker, it seems that he may be able to offer a handful on Friday and some more on Monday. It looks like the IP WL is going to be small. Hopefully, I'm dead wrong. Last year, 30 people gets off from WL during the first batch.

135/170 is higher compared to previous year. Hang in there, we want you to come here in July....

http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/2012/05/30/first-waitlist-offers-for-

non-albertans/

Read some of the comments by Dr. Walker, it seems that he may be able to offer a handful on Friday and some more on Monday. It looks like the IP WL is going to be small. Hopefully, I'm dead wrong. Last year, 30 people gets off from WL during the first batch.

135/170 is higher compared to previous year. Hang in there, we want you to come here in July....

Thanks lazyboy! How is U of C treating you one year into the mix??

We're already in our 2nd year. In another 3 weeks, we'll be done with course 4 and then into a 6 week summer elective. That is the beauty(or sadness depending whether you view a cup as half empty or half full :D ) of 3 years medical school.

It is a very fun and busy school, by this time next year, we'll be in our last year.

5 lucky Albertans received offers today!

http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/2012/05/31/first-waitlist-offers-for-albertans/

We're already in our 2nd year. In another 3 weeks, we'll be done with course 4 and then into a 6 week summer elective. That is the beauty(or sadness depending whether you view a cup as half empty or half full :D ) of 3 years medical school.

It is a very fun and busy school, by this time next year, we'll be in our last year.

:)

So are any of those lucky IP applicants on this forum?

Got off the waiting list a couple hours ago!!

IP

Just completed my 4th year in the neuroscience program.

GPA (with lowest year dropped): 3.73

MCAT: 32O (11VR)

ECs: pretty strong, summer research all summers since first year, long term volunteering, president of 2 student clubs long term, coordinated the brain day program, international volunteering to Costa Rica, and some recreational activities.

I am SO excited about this offer; UofC is the only school I applied to because I have just started my PhD in the department of neuroscience at the UofC. I will be accepting and then deferring this offer to complete the Leaders in Medicine program, so hopefully they will pass along this spot to one of you waitlisters! Best of luck to everyone!!!

Got off the waiting list a couple hours ago!!

IP

Just completed my 4th year in the neuroscience program.

GPA (with lowest year dropped): 3.73

MCAT: 32O (11VR)

ECs: pretty strong, summer research all summers since first year, long term volunteering, president of 2 student clubs long term, coordinated the brain day program, international volunteering to Costa Rica, and some recreational activities.

I am SO excited about this offer; UofC is the only school I applied to because I have just started my PhD in the department of neuroscience at the UofC. I will be accepting and then deferring this offer to complete the Leaders in Medicine program, so hopefully they will pass along this spot to one of you waitlisters! Best of luck to everyone!!!

Congratulations! Well done! Thanks for letting us know about the deferral.

Archived