Premed 101 Forums

Wait List Speculation

I just withdrew from UofC as I was accepted off waitlist last Thursday from UofA. It was a really tough decision but I tried to make it as fast as possible! Good luck to you all!!!!

Were you accepted off waitlist at UofC? If not, then did you have time till today to make your decision? I just thought those who were accepted on May 11, had till the end of May to make a decision.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Were you accepted off waitlist at UofC? If not, then did you have time till today to make your decision? I just thought those who were accepted on May 11, had till the end of May to make a decision.

I was accepted at UofC on May 11th and waitlisted at UofA so I payed the deposit and accepted UofC. Then I surprisingly got off the waitlist at UofA super quick on May 31st, making me deliberate all weekend :eek: Hopefully the waitlist movement at UofC starts to pick up for you guys!! Hang in there!!

Oh, and I guess I didn't technically have to pay the deposit and accept UofC in the first place, but I assumed I wouldn't get into UofA till way way later on if at all, so I paid the deposit as soon as I could.

I was accepted at UofC on May 11th and waitlisted at UofA so I payed the deposit and accepted UofC. Then I surprisingly got off the waitlist at UofA super quick on May 31st, making me deliberate all weekend :eek: Hopefully the waitlist movement at UofC starts to pick up for you guys!! Hang in there!!

Thanks for the info....yea i really hope they get going with the WL soon!!

Congrats! Can u provide a reason why u choose U of C over U of A? That should give some insights to those who are wondering...

I can give my reasons but obviously some only apply to me:

1) I was born and raised in Calgary. I have family and friends here. My spouse's job is here and it would be more of a pain for us to move than it likely is for most. I went to school in Edmonton for 4 years and the UofA is great, the city... not for me.

2) 3 year program. I am a non-trad applicant and don't care to have my summers off. Furthermore, I am fairly sure I won't be gunning for a highly competitive specialty and don't think I will need extra time to pad a CARMS application. If you take into account opportunity cost, that extra year could easily cost about $200k... Pretty expensive if you just want a summer vacation. If, however, I was completely unsure or thought I might be gunning for derm, rads, or surgical specialties then I would have taken a second look at having an extra year to pad my CARMS app. Not that I think you can't access these specialties from UofC (obviously you can), but I think it may be easier with an extra year to get the exposure/references needed.

3) School/teaching style. Dr. Walker pretty much sold me on the UofC with the attitude of self-learning and early hands on approach. I am not one that likes to listen to lectures (I can read the slides myself) and prefer to work at my own pace. If you remember the photo Dr. Walker showed in the presentation of all the students sleeping in class... that's me. From the interview day and from what I know about the UofA, I think it is a bit younger of a class and seems to me (I don't really know) that it would be more of an undergrad-like environment in terms of lectures. I got the feeling the UofC is a bit different. I could be way off on this but it was just my perception.

Overall it was an easy choice for me but mostly due to personal aspects that may not be transferable to other applicants that are on the fence.

Hope that helps someone!

Dr. Walker is on the blog and replying to some of the questions!!

I saw that... and then I saw that I had a new email in my inbox... and I nearly had a heart attack. But it was just a boring work email :( I think I am going insane.

So, i think we are now relying on the LIM deferrals and people jumping ship when they get off a WL elsewhere... Its good to know that even though WL mvt is slow, but LIM deferrals are higher than normal. Hopefully that makes up for the downtime now.

Well at least by the sound of the newest post this hell will be over sooner then later. Sadly that means the worst for the majority for us.

I am going to agree with Dr. Walker and say it is still to early to say anything for certain, and with the LIM people in the picture, the WL mvt may just start later than normal, and the total movement be the same as previous years. But does that mean that I will keep on checking my email, pmed101, and the blog every other minute? No (at least not for much longer). At this point, I am simply too tired to do that, and my summer is starting to get busy, so whatever happens, happens. But i will still hope for the best, and that is about all I can do. Good luck to you all!

Ok so I have a quick question for you guys, when Dr. Walker said " 11 seats that are unspoken for, and 11 offers outstanding" does this mean 22 in total seats that might become available or 11 seats are unspoken for because ppl are still deciding? May be I should stop reading into things too much

I think that it means that there are 11 seats that don't have deposits paid yet, but that those 11 seats already have offers out... so there are only 11 spots, not 22

Hey guys I was reading the blog and there is a question about LIM. I thought to ask you guys to see if you knew... do you guys know if the LIM spots have already been offered as well?

Judging by Dr. Walker's responses, some LIM spots have already been offered out, as he said some of the WL people already joined LIM and declined their spots, so I guess that's why we have a few offers rolling out this week.

Deferrals are only available to LIMs and to those who received first round offers with extenuating circumstances, correct?

I believe so. I think they need to send a request to be approved. Dr. Walker needs to see how many people defer in the first place, before approving and offering their spots to WL people. In extenuating circumstances, they probably would accommodate you, given that your reason for deferral is consistent with the goals of becoming an MD (so basically it's case by case, and might be arbitrary). For example, reasons like I want to finish a fourth year of UG because I am a third year applicant doesn't count. And I think it wouldn't be limited to first round offers only.

Archived