Premed 101 Forums

Wait List Speculation

So, I think Dr. Walker is back in town. Maybe some waitlist movement starting tomorrow? Or at least some news about what's going on? Last year, the first batch of offers went out May 25th. This year since the emails went out sooner, maybe the WL offers will come sooner too? But I think soon we will hear some news.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They could just KNOW who will be getting in next as they've already received declines to some offers (explaining the dropping scores), but haven't told people yet. It might be a bit sooner than June 1st... probably will be knowing generous Dr. W.

I think a more humane way to handle WL for medical schools may be just to give WL applicants their position on the list and size of the list. But put more security in place if they want to drop out of the WL or decline their offers maybe. I don't know how that would work out, but at least we'd be able to plan something, rather than just painfully waiting. I think the worry associated with disclosing WL info is mainly people sabotaging other people on the list, e.g. calling the office pretending to be somebody else to take them off the WL (maybe there are other reasons that I am not aware of).

I hope this makes someone's Victoria day - I just declined my IP spot. Good luck waitlisters!

Thanks for posting this! Maybe we can get a rough estimate of how many offers are available at this point, if people post here if they are turning down their offers in favor of another school or deferral for LIM? That'd be some relief for the WL.

Hello,

Ok, so lets start off with I am NOT crazy, just resourceful...

Looking at the facebook group members lists for U Calgary 2015 and 2014

There are 160 members in 2015, however 99 of those overlap with the members of 2014, so only 61 students can be assumed to be entering students (though a few additional may be deferrals from the previous year).

Now not everyone will be on the facebook group, however assuming an overlap of 100 students in the 2014 group (sized at 250) that leaves 150 actual students, assuming a class size of 180 that is a 81% compliance rate (class of 2013 hid their facebook members list).

Assigning that to our 61 entering students gives about 75 students who are planning to attend Calgary and have already been accepted (lets round up to 100 students for the slow band wagon jumpers).

That leaves anywhere between 70 and 100 spots still in transition. Some are students who haven't decided on which school yet, others from students who are choosing other schools.

I will probably redo this at some point. It makes me feel marginally better.

There are 160 members in 2015, however 99 of those overlap with the members of 2014, so only 61 students can be assumed to be entering students (though a few additional may be deferrals from the previous year).

Sorry to skew the math but there are quite a few people from the 2013 and even some from the 2012 class on this group as well... maybe that means there are still more spots;)

Sorry to skew the math but there are quite a few people from the 2013 and even some from the 2012 class on this group as well... maybe that means there are still more spots;)

How did you get the 2013 list?

It really is only an approximation. If there are less 2014 students in the 2014 class group then that would lower the rate at which students join the group, increasing the expected number of students who haven't joined the groups.

Without about 4 years of class lists (and corresponding facebook lists), and the demographics of facebook users in general over the last 5 years it has no real weight behind it. However it is a nice thought, hoping the approximation is not too far off!

Looks like it's gonna be another week of waiting... don't know if i can take it much longer, feels like early burnout

Same here, in many ways I think this is worse than waiting for May 15 because we don't know when we will hear from them (or if we will hear from them at all)

Same here, in many ways I think this is worse than waiting for May 15 because we don't know when we will hear from them (or if we will hear from them at all)

Well, at least there are some updates from the blog, at least we know something. My plan is to wait for the first batch of offers, which come out June 1st, and if I don't get word, then I'll just move on. Personally, if I keep on waiting I'll just go crazy lol! Too much uncertainty just doesn't mix well with me... Again, that's just me.

Well, at least there are some updates from the blog, at least we know something. My plan is to wait for the first batch of offers, which come out June 1st, and if I don't get word, then I'll just move on. Personally, if I keep on waiting I'll just go crazy lol! Too much uncertainty just doesn't mix well with me... Again, that's just me.

I'm with you there.

Discussion on the admissions blog is getting a little heated... wish I had some popcorn LOL!

I'm with you there.

Discussion on the admissions blog is getting a little heated... wish I had some popcorn LOL!

Agreed. Popcorn would be nice in any case! Wish this whole thing is over soon, so we can all relax a little. Based on the discussions so far, looks like WL movement is going to be like past years, so keep your hopes up!

Everybody STOP POKING THE BEAR! haha.

there's nothing we can do but wait. he's not allowed to change the policies mid cycle (i.e. cut wait list in half, send out more rejections, etc.). Literally, not allowed. He is only the face of an entire admissions committee and we are likely just annoying him asking the same question a bizillion different ways on the blog.... if you need to relieve some anxiety / vent / complain about how much this sucks (I agree, it does), do it here on premed and not on the blog... leave the blog for formal questions. Pleaseeeeeee! haha.

Also, (and this is me ranting now), if someone asks a question on the blog, let's let him answer it. premed is for discussion, blog is q & a with dr. walker only. drives me nuts when other students answer for him. especially given that it is not always right....

all we need to remember is this: On the waitlist, you are more likely to get in than to not get in (if historically more than half the wait list has always gotten in)....

whewww! okay, needed to get that out. i'm good now. :P

Everybody STOP POKING THE BEAR! haha.

there's nothing we can do but wait. he's not allowed to change the policies mid cycle (i.e. cut wait list in half, send out more rejections, etc.). Literally, not allowed. He is only the face of an entire admissions committee and we are likely just annoying him asking the same question a bizillion different ways on the blog.... if you need to relieve some anxiety / vent / complain about how much this sucks (I agree, it does), do it here on premed and not on the blog... leave the blog for formal questions. Pleaseeeeeee! haha.

Also, (and this is me ranting now), if someone asks a question on the blog, let's let him answer it. premed is for discussion, blog is q & a with dr. walker only. drives me nuts when other students answer for him. especially given that it is not always right....

all we need to remember is this: On the waitlist, you are more likely to get in than to not get in (if historically more than half the wait list has always gotten in)....

whewww! okay, needed to get that out. i'm good now. :P

Totally agree with you! Love the bear analogy lol. Let's all take a chill pill, and cool down... Or at least vent in a controlled environment, I.e. premed101! Lol. Although, I don't think Dr. Walker is the bear...

Remember road trips when we were little.....

"Are we there yet?!?!?

Are we there yet?!?!?

Are we there yet?!?!?

Are we there yet?!?!?

Are we there yet?!?!?

Are we there yet?!?!?"

hahaha. omg.

Omg this is hilarious. Lol, are we there yet? I should watch that movie again.

Any body know if you can defer for reasons other the the Leaders in Medicine program?

I have an awesome job offer that expires on Friday so odds are I'll be accepting it, and I feel kind of bad (down right horrible actually) at the prospect of working for 5 weeks before abandoning them for medical school (assuming I can get off the wait list).

It would be nice to know where I was on the silly list as it would give me an idea of where I'll be in 2 months...

Any body know if you can defer for reasons other the the Leaders in Medicine program?

I have an awesome job offer that expires on Friday so odds are I'll be accepting it, and I feel kind of bad (down right horrible actually) at the prospect of working for 5 weeks before abandoning them for medical school (assuming I can get off the wait list).

It would be nice to know where I was on the silly list as it would give me an idea of where I'll be in 2 months...

I believe Dr. Walker said it's only for unforeseeable circumstances (i.e. getting pregnant, etc.). I don't think this qualifies, unfortunately.

From Applicant Manual:

In general, deferrals will not be granted for circumstances or opportunities which were foreseen at the time of application. This includes deferrals for the

purpose of completing a degree or other course of study currently underway. In other words, individuals should not apply if they are not prepared to begin the MD program in late July 2012. Normally a maximum of five (5) students per

year can be accommodated. It is at the sole discretion of the Director of Admissions to grant/deny a deferral.

Generally, deferrals will only be available to those applicants offered a position on May 15th.

I believe Dr. Walker said it's only for unforeseeable circumstances (i.e. getting pregnant, etc.). I don't think this qualifies, unfortunately.

Thanks, I know what I'll do if the time comes. However I'll still feel like a bad person.

I lol'ed. I wonder if they would make you prove it?

Probably, when I deferred, I need to get a letter from my CO. In this case they'd likely ask one from your doc.

Med school acceptance is serious business! :eek:

I just declined my spot (OOP) in favor of another offer.

It was really tough to make the final decision. In the end, since I am a non-trad applicant and have family obligations that make it harder to move, I decided to decline at Calgary. I was really impressed by the school, though. I wish all of you the best while you endure the limbo of being wait listed; I hope that you get in!

Hmm, is the job in an area that would be beneficial to your career later on? (i.e. I assume you're an engineer, so I'm wondering if the work would count towards your P.Eng.?). If that's the case, I think you could swing a pretty good argument in favor of a defer. At least, it doesn't hurt to try. As an alternative, you could do a MSc with the LiM program, and although that might add on an extra year of delay beyond what you were thinking of, you would come out of it with a masters (probably helpful for carms) and this would allow you to work also (there are even some MSc programs that allow you to do working internships as part of your engineering MSc degree).

Archived