• Created
  • Last Reply
accepted IP, deferring for LiM

Ph.D. applicant

wGPA 3.85

MCAT 35Q

EC's: I once wrestled a bear...and won.

Interview: meh.

Too many people PMing you about the bear? Lol. Did you get the offer today or the 11th? Good to hear quite a few people deferring for LIM. Congrats on the acceptance.

Too many people PMing you about the bear? Lol. Did you get the offer today or the 11th? Good to hear quite a few people deferring for LIM. Congrats on the acceptance.

No, just figured it wasn't really necessary since PMing doesn't require an invitation.

Got the offer today at exactly 4:00pm. I know Dr. Walker sent some other invites out this morning, so I assume my offer at 4pm was part of what was supposed to be tomorrow's batch, though I'm sure there will be some tomorrow too. Probably a few people here and there every day or so up until end of next week or the week after, and then it'll start to slow down. Though, offers will probably go on for a while. I have heard of one person who got off the waitlist 2 days before classes started a few cycles ago. In any case, I'll try to finalize my stuff tomorrow so that at least one offer goes out.

Good luck

No, just figured it wasn't really necessary since PMing doesn't require an invitation.

Got the offer today at exactly 4:00pm. I know Dr. Walker sent some other invites out this morning, so I assume my offer at 4pm was part of what was supposed to be tomorrow's batch, though I'm sure there will be some tomorrow too. Probably a few people here and there every day or so up until end of next week or the week after, and then it'll start to slow down. Though, offers will probably go on for a while. I have heard of one person who got off the waitlist 2 days before classes started a few cycles ago. In any case, I'll try to finalize my stuff tomorrow so that at least one offer goes out.

Good luck

Thanks man!

Interesting how the only 2 IP waitlisters so far (on Premed101) are doing the LIM program. I didn't realize you could get your position in that program settled so quickly, Osteon? I figured the LIM deffered spots would only open up a few weeks from now... Do you mind sharing the process for applying for the LIM program? Is it pretty much guaranteed to be able to if you say you want to do it?

Interesting how the only 2 IP waitlisters so far (on Premed101) are doing the LIM program. I didn't realize you could get your position in that program settled so quickly, Osteon? I figured the LIM deffered spots would only open up a few weeks from now... Do you mind sharing the process for applying for the LIM program? Is it pretty much guaranteed to be able to if you say you want to do it?

Here's how it works:

1. receive UofC med offer, and on UCAN you indicate whether you're interested in LIM and deferring the first year. They say that your answer here is binding.

2. In order to apply to LIM, you must a) be accepted to med school and B) be accepted to a grad program. So normally, you're right, the process would take a little longer if someone had to apply for/set-up a grad degree. Depending on the program, research area of intrest and your research background, this isn't necessarily a guaranteed thing either, meaning I'm aware of people getting turned down by grad programs for reasons such as a) not having grad funding established, B) not enough research experience or interest, or B) grades too low. Some of this is program dependent, some of this is supervisor dependent. I'm already in a grad program at the UofC so I skipped this step, which could take a few weeks for others, and allows me to proceed to step 3 immediately.

3. Apply to LIM. They say that it's not a guaranteed thing that you'll get in, but only turn you down in "exceptional circumstances." I.e. I think if you get into the grad program, get into med school, receive support from both programs, and are motivated for a career in research, then there's no problem. Let's hope for my sake (and for the good of the waitlist) at least that's the case.

There were two small batches of IP WL offers yesterday, 5 in the morning, and a few (don't know the number, but <5 I think) in the afternoon at 4pm ish. Plus there were about 12 OOP offers the day before. So that's over 20 offers so far. And I think there may be a few more to go out soon.

They will try to get hold of those ones that haven't reply by phone. This is more a courtesy, just to make sure the accepted one actually receives the offer and just too busy/lazy to reply. The same thing goes with deposit.

I'm sure there will be more offers to go out over next few days. However, there are only 25 unfilled seats, and I guess about a dozen or so is for OOP.

Is anyone else frantically refreshing pm101 and Dr. Walker's blog? I'm rather anxious - this whole waitlist anxiety can't be good for my health, lol.

You are definitely not alone in the refreshing business. And I agree with you that this is hurting our health, i.e. sleeping problems, and anxiety disorders etc.

Guys we need to form a support group much like AA! Seriously I have a nervous twitch. Maybe a Facebook group for wait listers only. MUST have diagnosed psychiatric disorder due to stress of waiting! Lol...

Looks like I'm in the same boat as many...sigh...

Don't worry, you were wait listed last year, I am pretty sure you will get off it this year. Good idea about the Facebook group though. One more thing to add to the rotation of doom...

Archived