Premed 101 Forums

First Year Course Load Question?

Hi everyone,

I will be starting first year of the Bachelor of Science degree in Sept 2012. My long-term goal is Medical School. (I realize it’s tough and very competitive to gain acceptance). I'm currently registered in 5 courses for the First semester. At my university (UFV), that totals 19 credits. However, using the transfer guide, at UBC, it would be equivalent to 16 credits.

I’m considering dropping one course, (which is worth 3 credits at both universities). I realize that medical schools want to see that you can handle a full course load, but as it will be my first semester, I don't really want to over-load. I understand that university can be quite an adjustment, so I don't want to take too many courses and end up not doing the best I can in them.

However, I realize that some Medical Schools require a full course load. I know that UBC doesn't, but they prefer it. If I were to take just the 4 courses, it would transfer as 13 credits to UBC, which I think is under what they consider a full course load. However, at UFV it would total 16 credits, which would be considered a full course load.

I also want to keep my options open of being able to apply to other Medical schools. Basically, I don't want to over-load myself in the first semester, but at the same time, I don't want to be unable to apply to certain universities, or reduce my chances for the sake of not taking one extra course in the first semester.

So, I was wondering what your thoughts/opinions were on whether I should stay in the 5th course, or not? All replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

The old story of cost/risk vs benefit.

I always did a full course load period. Some years were really rough. I made academics my priority, did not allow distractions, had an incredible work ethic, totally sacrificed my friends and a social life and I am happily in med school. Take the challenge.

The old story of cost/risk vs benefit.

I always did a full course load period. Some years were really rough. I made academics my priority, did not allow distractions, had an incredible work ethic, totally sacrificed my friends and a social life and I am happily in med school. Take the challenge.

That sounds totally rough. What university did you go to?

f_d is an extreme example of social sacrifice.

Many people are able to balance school and friends/family and still get into med school.

agreed, sacrifice is certainly needed but nothing extreme, but everyone is different, i personally would think that balancing family/friend with school/work rather than cutting them out actually helped my GPA because i was happier. but to each their own. and also as phoenixflare suggested above you should look it taking an easier course in place of a harder one to maintain the full course load and not be overwhelmed.

Hi! Thanks for the replies so far. It's really appreciated.

The five courses I'm registered in are:

Biology 111

English 105

Math 104 - Statistics - (I need it for degree program).

Psychology 101

Intro Kinesiology course (Online)- I'm considering transferring to the Bachelor of Kinesiology Program, so it would be needed for that, but it could also be used as an elective for the Bachelor of Science degree program.

I know that I should probably have a chemistry course in there, but I'm completing Chemistry 12 this summer and I don't think I will have it done in time, (as it's a prerequisite and they want those done by a specific date).

Also, it's too late to register in any other courses, as they are basically all full.

So, what do you guys think of this course load? Do you think it might be manageable?

(One note is that I'm a competitive athlete. Although I have/will reduce the amount I train, I still plan to continue approx. 2hrs/day training, plus transportation time).

Let me know.

Thanks,

pet_lover48

Archived