Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Rejected IP

2nd year IP (reason why)

GPA: 3.97

Mcat: 33Q

EC's: various, not amazing

Interview: I did not know really what to expect in the interview.... Most stations went pretty bad. I have gained so much info for next year.

I am only a second year applicant so my chances were slim to begin with.

Great school, hope to get a shot again next year!

Made an account just to post stats

Rejected

4th year IP

GPA: 3.95 - their scale. I don't know how they calculated it so high

MCAT: 35P

ECs: Below average? 2 years volunteering at seniors home, 1 year lab volunteer, 1 summer volunteering with a social services agency, reading week trip with habitat for humanity, classical music study before university. No clubs or hospital.

2nd time interviewing. I didn't think it went that poorly but I guess it must have. I guess I'll try and stack some ECs before the next application cycle as well as include the things I was doing after applications were sent. Ugggggghhh.

Accepted!:)

Non-traditional applicant - completed thesis-based Master's degree

GPA: 3.96 (according to their calculations)

MCAT: 12/10/12 Q

ECs: Heavily research-based, lot of research awards

Interview: Thought it went well! Made the interviewers laugh, was sincere in my answers

Will be accepting this offer! Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

Accepted, IP aboriginal pool, 4th year.

GPA 3.3

MCAT 33O

EC's: probably where I shone. I worked nearly full time my entire degree, founded a seniors computer literacy program after getting them a $23000 grant (300+ hours there over 3 years), several student staff positions for a residence on campus, VP for an aboriginal student group, fraternity member, 3 positions in other student groups over the years, and a summer of research.

Interview: hard to quantify but I felt both my panel and MMI went well.

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 12PS/11VR/12BS

ECs: I didn't plan on going to med school until last year so none of my ECs have medically related experience (except for one small one). Mainly student council (president), member of some local and international executive committees (nothing saving the world, mainly professional societies), volunteering, very little research, no pubs. However, I had some decent experiences like working abroad, etc. that might have given me an edge.

Interview: Thought it went ok. Nothing spectacular but didn't screw up too much.

Have no idea what school I'm going to choose. Queen's was my top choice and the only one that I was waitlisted for so I might wait right to the deadline to decide. UWO and Alberta are my next top. U of T did not impress me but it's still under consideration.

Honestly, U of A seems like a great school but I've lived in Edmonton my whole life and did my undergrad here so I almost want to get away just for the sake of trying something new and meeting a different population of people (most of the people in U of A's med school will be from Alberta obviously). I know this might seem like a stupid reason but I don't want to never get out of Edmonton, at least for a bit.

Accepted! :D

IP, 5th year? Did an extra year for an Honours

GPA: 3.93 according to UofA's scale

MCAT 12/12/13 Q

EC's: probably average. Fair amount of total hours, some leadership, some research (no pubs yet), senior's home, Scouts, that kind of thing.

Interview: went pretty well I thought. There were a couple stations that I struggled with a little, but overall I had a good experience (and actually liked the entrance/exit interviews as I thought they helped settle the nerves somewhat)

Accepted

OOP, MSc, BSc (w/ honours but it doesn't make me look special, according to the chicken in MMI Disney parody video)

GPA: 3.95 (Calculated by U of A)

MCAT: 35S

ECs: The usuals. Hospital volunteer (2+ years), Red Cross advocate (2+ years), choir, intramural sports, very research-heavy including international conferences, countless posters and invited talks, journal club, 3 papers accepted for publication in high impact journals (Journal of of Clinical Oncology, Circulation etc)

Interview: 6 amazing stations. 1 okay station. For the last station, I kinda rambled, since my brain was fried, but I guess it doesn't matter now :)

Very impressed with U of A. It's one of my top picks now. I will most likely be accepting, but I will wait a couple of days before making a final decision. The decision to move out of province is never an easy one.

Updated: I've declined my offer to U of A. Hope this helps someone on the waitlist.

Accepted!!! :) (edit: time stamp was 8:25am)

4th year IP, rural

GPA: 3.80

MCAT: 33Q (balanced)

ECs: Probably pretty average.

Interview: Must have gone well, thought it was fine but it was my first and only interview.

GL to all waitlisters and regrets.

See everyone in the fall!

I believe I am rural as I was last year when I applied...

3.47 UG

3.85 Masters (Though I know it doesn't factor into anything besides the 1 point advantage)

28S

Interview: Thought I had done well for the most part

ECs:

Masters degree, Many volunteer hours on a sexual assault crisis line, many campaigning hours for both provincial and federal elections, I have served on my condo board as treasurer for multiple years, I am the Vice president of a provincial constistuency association supporting the best MLA in Alberta! I've had multiple acting roles in the local theatre in my home town. one 1st author scientific publication and one third author scientific publication, a third publication in submission. I am Currently working as research technician in viral discovery for the past 4 years at the UofA. I have Coordinated and helped organize a city wide fundraising event in Edmonton for those affected by HIV/AIDS (Have volunteered many years with this organization). Various other volunteers activities i.e. Run for the cure, Meals on wheels, Take back the night event etc.

References: Pretty solid I would assume especially the ones from my MLA and from director of the HIV/AIDS organization that I worked with.

Hoping that the list moves for my pool! Congrats to all who were accepted and my condolences to those rejected. And for those of us who are waiting... lets hang in there, "Anything could happen"

Accepted!

3rd Year, IP

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 37R

ECs: U of A liked them last year when I applied. I've volunteered at the hospital for 3 years and I've been a volunteer with a youth organization for the past 6 years. I've done a summer of research with a publication and have been on the exec for 2 clubs. I've also worked in res for 2 years.

I'll be declining this offer for Queen's or UBC, so there will be another 2/3rd spot. :)

Waitlisted

4th year IP

GPA 3.85

MCAT 35Q

EC - I got 7 last year, so probably avg. (Diverse work experience, including one year of full-time pharmacist practice, 2 publications, pharmacy/research related awards, nil volunteering hours, some school organization activities, competitive gaming.)

Interview - No idea how I did. Did better than last year, I guess.

Let's get the list moving!!!

Edit - accepted!

Waitlisted

Just finished my BKin

GPA 3.85

MCAT 34Q

ECs Pretty normal.

Interview: Thought it felt great!

I was accepted at UBC VFMP, so I will be declining my spot on the waitlist :) Best of luck to all you waitlisters, I was there last year and I know how tough it can be!

Very late posting but here's some hope for the engineers out there:

Accepted!!! :D First time applying.

3rd year IP (3 year undergrad + 1 year co-op)

GPA - 3.82 (Engsci U of T, 6-7 courses per semester)

MCAT - 11/10/10/Q

ECs - Average. Nothing very long term since I didn't think about going to med until recently. But had a few "unique" activities in terms of sports(dragonboat) and research(engineering design).

Interview - Thought it went horribly after the relatively easy UC MMI but must have done extremely well given my (way) below average stats as a 3rd year applicant. I guess it's true that what you say doesn't matter much, it's more about how you say it. I did not know very much about several of the issues that were discussed(current events related) so all I really did was stay calm and focus on the aspects of the topic that I did know about. At the end of the day, it's still about likability - they will score you based on whether or not they can imagine you as a physician.

Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

• 4 weeks later...

accepted off waitlist on June 13th

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 31Q (8V)

EC: Fairly standard, nothing extraordinary

Interview: I felt I did great on some of them and not so well on others.

Applied: UBC, UofA, UofC, Queens, Western, Mcmaster, NOSM, Ottawa

Rejected Pre interview: UBC, Queens, Western, Mcmaster, NOSM, Ottawa

Rejected Post interview: UofC

Accepted off waitlist: UofA

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this forum today!

Accepted May. 15th, right off the bat.

3rd year IP

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 42S (15BS, 13VR, 14PS)

EC's: Many diverse, but nothing medical related. Lots of high level sports (former olympic athlete). ETC.

Interview: I thought it went terribly, but you never know! I tried to give honest answers at all stations.

If I could give any advice it would be to work hard attaining a good GPA, study your buns off for the mcat, and do things outside of school you enjoy.

I have accepted and can't wait to meet you all in the fall!

• 10 months later...

I guess I'll be the first one here.

Regrets 8:30 AM
3rd year IP
3.90 GPA with 12/10/10 MCAT
ECs: no clue but probably around average at best
Interview: I felt good about it but it probably wasn't enough to make up for my poor scores above

It was a great experience. I only applied to U of A this year. Going to rewrite my MCAT and bolster my app for next year as a 4th year. A little disappointing but all good....I didn't think I would get an interview, so at least I got that. :)

Accepted

Graduated

GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 35

EC: good

Interview: It was very comfortable minus that I didn't understand what a few of the stations were actually asking me. Apparently I answered them OK.

Edit: Turned down the offer for elsewhere, best of luck to the waitlist.