Premed 101 Forums

driving in residency?

So it seems that I can do clerkship without a car, but what is the situation for residency? Will it hurt me in terms of options if I don't know how to drive? For example, I know that some programs have required regional or rural rotations, and some have home call.

I feel like this is probably the last chance I will have to learn for a while, but I am not super enthusiastic about the prospect. I plan to stay in big cities and will probably not be trying to match to anything super competitive (so I don't expect to have to end up in the middle of nowhere).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know how the transit system is at UWO but I imagine you'll need to learn how to drive a car even for clerkship. If you're doing shifts that end at 2 or 3am, which happens in rotations like ER, how would you plan on getting home?

Other than the ED, are there any shifts that end at 2 am? During clerkship (where I was) there weren't - is residency different?

I'm thinking that instances like that would be rare enough that I would be able to afford to just take a cab home. Mostly I bike for transportation, but I can see how I might be too tired to bike safely.

Then, if I was too tired to bike safely, would I really be a safe driver?

Other than the ED, are there any shifts that end at 2 am?

I don't go to UWO, so I wouldn't know, but it's medical school. I don't think you can expect to get by without a vehicle. I mean you could probably get by, but I feel like it would make your life much harder.

On surgery and OBGYN I had to be AT the hospital by 430am and 5am respectively, and there's no bus service at that time. I had short call on a few rotations that ended at midnight. Plus getting up an hour earlier to take the bus and taking an hour extra to get home = less sleep and time off, and those are precious things in med school and residency.

I'm thinking that instances like that would be rare enough that I would be able to afford to just take a cab home. Mostly I bike for transportation, but I can see how I might be too tired to bike safely.

Then, if I was too tired to bike safely, would I really be a safe driver?

Again I don't know what your program is like but if all your hospitals are within biking distance then that probably makes your life much easier.

You really do need a car for clerkship at Western (and I assume most places).

There are a few rare cases of clerks not having a car; but really, with overnight emerg shifts, call, unpredictable hours, 5:00am rounding, rural rotations, teaching sessions, and the importance of punctuality...having a car is truly useful.

Also, just get your licence. It's a life thing. Get 'er done.

I guess I just don't really know where to start - I don't have family nearby and I don't think I know anyone who would be able to teach me to drive. I could get my G1 and take a driver's ed course but I don't know how I would get enough practice to be comfortable driving by clerkship or pass the G1 exit test.

I guess I just don't really know where to start - I don't have family nearby and I don't think I know anyone who would be able to teach me to drive. I could get my G1 and take a driver's ed course but I don't know how I would get enough practice to be comfortable driving by clerkship or pass the G1 exit test.

Hey Ellorie! I'm sorta in the same boat as you (in terms of driving - I'm not in medical school lol:P)

Everyone has always been telling me to get my license but...I dont know...I just DONT want to. I can't explain it. I have no drive to drive (pun intended :P)

However I recently realized that I wasn't able to get a lot of the stuff I wanted done done because I kept relying on people to get me places or on the crappy bus system we have. So I just did it. I think when you are stuck at a point where you dont REALLY want to drive but it might end up being the best thing you should just DO IT. Pick up the book, read it over, and then go write your G1. After that I highly recommend a course. The one I got has 4 days of inclass, and 10 1-hour sessions of in car. By the time you are done the 10 hours you should be good to go. You wouldn't even really need to have extra in car time (though it would help). And once you KNOW HOW to drive (via in car lessons) its not a big deal to go practice some more with a friend beside you. (ex. Hey we are going grocery shopping? Mind if I drive instead of you?)

And the best part about the classes is the insurance discuount you get :)

All in all, I really think you should do it. :) I dont know what stopped me from wanting to learn (I'm 21 and just learning) but I'm glad to take the jump. I have only done 3 in car lessons so far and I have gone from driving through stop signs(!) in my first lesson to learning how to finally do my turns really comfortably and getting pretty good at the basics by the end of my 3rd hour.I haven't even practiced AT ALL in between those classes!!

Best of luck Im sure you can do it too!:D

I'm kind in the same boat, except I wasn't definitely good enough with only in-class practice to get in the streets. I was good enough at making turns and all around driving in residential lanes, but the real problem was traffic-ridden roads -.- My teacher did ask me to practice more at home (and not kindly so). Let's just say it did put an hamper on my desire to drive. I just keep delaying getting my real permit, which is not great with the awful hours our bus system keeps here!

So, based on my experience :

1. Pay for more on-road practice time if you feel like you need to practice more.

2. Try to get at least 1-2 lessons on manual transmission (manual cars are cheaper usually, so it's at least that. And you'll be prepared for all situations :P)

3. Change your driving instructor if you don't like him/her (had an horrible experience with mine and thought that I should stick it to the end, resulting in my current hate of driving and general avoidance of car-related business :P )

That's about it :D I'm trying to find the will to drive again soon, as I'll be faced with the same problems for clerkship and residency - albeit in 3 years!

Like I said, no family. I'm going to have to pay someone repeatedly. Yuck.

Chin up, you can do it. If you got into medical school surely you can learn to drive as well.

All of the time you would save waiting and taking the transit system will pay off with more sleep, down time and study time.

Yeah.. I don't have a car righ tnow for MS1 and 2, but I can't imagine trying to do clerkship without a car.

It is really quite easy to learn to drive. If you can get into medical school, learning to drive will be the easiest thing ever :).

Don't let the nervousness (if there is any) of learning to drive stop you from giving it a shot.

most people are nervous about driving initially. Pay for the course like most others. The longer you wait, the less adaptable you become. So get it done when you can tolerate a HR of 150 without having episodes of presyncope.

Having a license isn't really optional these days. And you have no idea what you are missing out on unless you try.

When I was a teenager I lived in NYC - in NYC you only learn to drive if you live in the boonies, really.

During undergrad, I walked, biked, took the metro. It's easy enough to get around without a car if you are willing to bike. I am only really even considering it because of having to be at the hospital in the middle of the night. Even now, it is very rare that I ask for a ride. If someone offers me a ride I will take it, but I can get almost everywhere I need to go with a bike.

When I was a teenager I lived in NYC - in NYC you only learn to drive if you live in the boonies, really.

During undergrad, I walked, biked, took the metro. It's easy enough to get around without a car if you are willing to bike. I am only really even considering it because of having to be at the hospital in the middle of the night. Even now, it is very rare that I ask for a ride. If someone offers me a ride I will take it, but I can get almost everywhere I need to go with a bike.

Most people can get around with a bike. It becomes a time issue in residency. You have so little personal time and so much to accomplish in that time - do you really want to be spending that time trekking around? People really don't realize how little time there is in residency until you get there. It is all about efficiency.

What did all of you people do to get around when you were in high school and college, if you didn't have a driver's license? Did you just take the bus everywhere or your parents drove you?

In high school, you have so much time to yourself, no responsibilities, and really, most HS students are satisfied just going out very locally.

If you live on res for college, 90% of activities are in or around campus. the rest can be group taxied.

didn't rmo say he just taxi's aroud?

Yup :)

I am not saying a car isn't useful - it can be and yeah I can drive and even have a car which is on loan to my family - they just need it more right now. But for me I simply live beside the hospital. I walk to work, cycle or sometimes cab when I feel like it or need to. I enjoy not having to drive home tired, or parking, or shovelling snow at 4am to get to work. Personally I find cars very annoying - but that is just me. I also enjoy killing two birds with one stone - my exercise and travel are combined when I bike.

There is only one two week rotation which could end at 2am, and not all the shifts do that (actually what 3 at most?). Some rotations can start at 5:30am but I never started before 6am for anything and even that was for two weeks - most of clerkship starts at 7:30am. Even if they did start that early it is still right there. I am not going to plan out all of clerkship around a few 2 week blocks etc.

As for residency it would also depend on what the residency is actually in as well. Surgery is different than family etc. As you move up the food chain there are greater expectations on you that make having a vehicle more valuable I think.

Anyway at some point you will want to get your license. Choosing not to take a car is different than not being able to at all. Start with a standard training course probably is best (I did). The rest can be worked out :)

Halifax: probably not

Make sure you live in the South End, where all of the hospitals are than you'll be fine biking or busing it. You will of course pay high rent but further out (Bedford, Dartmouth, or further than North End Halifax) and you will be wasting alot of time waiting and busing it.

Beef

It's easy to drive. Think about it: mostly everyone drives. Can't be that hard if basically everyone can do it.

As for whether you need a car for residency or not, it would depend on the school you match to.

Toronto: probably not

London: probably

Hamilton: definitely

Edmonton: definitely

Calgary: definitely

Halifax: probably not

MUN: probably not(unless super rural)

etc.

These are all guesses but I've been to all of thes and this is how they struck me.

MUN, certainly yes, you need a car. St. John's is not a city to live in without a car. Especially in the winter. I lived there for 28 years so I am speaking from a wealth of experience.

I also agree with the above re: Halifax. Unless you are in the south end, you'll need a car.

Just bite the bullet and get a license. For most centers you will greatly benifit from having a car.

All these talks about the need for a car worry me. Yes, I'm still a "premed", but I don't want to get into medicine if at the end, I fail or flop clerkship and residency because I'm ineligible to drive.

Also, I don't get it how some people who are eligible for driving don't want a car. You can't live without a car. When you go to a night event, how do you get back him? Having other people drive you is not something to rely on. Even in a big city like Montreal, getting back him at midnight by bus is not a good thing to do (and could be dangerous, especially in the downtown).

Archived