Premed 101 Forums

Official U of Alberta Pharmacy Applicants of 2013

i.mourad

Haha, I planned on finishing it during this break but haven't even started yet. I want to get most of it done by Sunday though.

Lol, I said the same exact thing. I've been working on it day by day for the last week one sentence at a time haha. I have to make sure to get it right. If your answers arent clear and easy to follow, I heard they may reject solely on that :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talked to Ms. Rae Beaumont on Thursday, and here's what we talked about:

Q: Does it matter which year you're in? (i.e. preference given to people with a degree)

A: No. As long as you meet the requirements, it does not matter.

Q: What exactly is calculated?

A: Pharmacy pre-req GPA, Cumulative GPA, GPA in the year(s) you took 30 credits.

Q: What was the average GPA last year?

A: We do not release that. (Friend in faculty said ~3.65ish, apparently though some friends have said 3.7)

Q: How important is the letter of intent?

A: Pretty important. Last year, some individuals were rejected based on that. Make sure you do a lot of editing and revision... and please, avoid any grammar/punctuation/spelling mistakes. "Get someone to proof-read it."

Q: Is a letter of reference necessary?

A: We have had people send in LOR and it has helped their case sometimes. It's only looked at if people are tied in every other aspect. We strongly encourage students to fill out the Pharmacist Consultation Form though.

Thats really great info Alffredson! Thanks alot.

I'm really trying to spend a lot of time on my letter of intent. Im more worried about that than the GPA lol.

Anyways my overall GPA over the last 2 fulltime years is 3.72

and my pre-req GPA is 3.66.

Oh and I wanted to ask, for the Pharmacist consultation form, do you think three visit dates would be sufficient enough? How many dates are you putting if you dont mind me asking @Alffredson?

Thats really great info Alffredson! Thanks alot.

I'm really trying to spend a lot of time on my letter of intent. Im more worried about that than the GPA lol.

Anyways my overall GPA over the last 2 fulltime years is 3.72

and my pre-req GPA is 3.66.

Oh and I wanted to ask, for the Pharmacist consultation form, do you think three visit dates would be sufficient enough? How many dates are you putting if you dont mind me asking @Alffredson?

I'm also spending quite a lot of time on it. Still not half done yet.

I put "every friday" on the PCF. I'm sure three dates would be more than enough though.

EDIT: Your GPA looks solid enough. Letter is definitely my concern too.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the double post. Seeing all these higher GPA's is starting to intimidate me a little... Hopefully my 3.66 Pre and 3.67 Overall is enough.

Anyone know the average of the accepted applicants? I think Alfredsson was saying it was roughly 3.62. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry for the double post. Seeing all these higher GPA's is starting to intimidate me a little... Hopefully my 3.66 Pre and 3.67 Overall is enough.

Anyone know the average of the accepted applicants? I think Alfredsson was saying it was roughly 3.62. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, that's what a first year Pharmacy student told me. The admissions people are tight-lipped about it for some reason. :rolleyes:

I think some people with a 3.7+ got rejected last year because I see so many people applying with high GPAs yet the average is normal for pharmacy.

zizo, you're good to go. Also, ECs don't matter at all. I mean, you just need to write a convincing letter. Obviously, Pharmacy exposure helps with the first question.

thanks guys!

Also some people have told me that if you have at least one 30 credit year with 3.5+ then you could have good chance depending on the competition.

Does anyone have an idea on how many applicants they get each year?

They received about ~640 application for Fall 2011 entry. I expect that number to be a little higher this year to around 700 just because I see everyone talking about it, haha.

I wouldn't say 3.5 is a good chance these days. Though definitely, a lot of people get in with 3.5 GPA. I'd say 3.7 with 30 credits is a good chance, or a safe bet. I hope you're right about one 30 credit year. I only did 24 last year, but this year, I'm doing a full course load. Hopefully, not having a full course load both years doesn't come back to haunt me.

Sorry, but can some one fill me in on how UofA would look at me as a student who lives in Ontario? How do they weigh my GPA? and what score is required on the PCAT? Sorry Im really new to the pharmacy section thank you!

You really need to go to their website and check. It might also be a little late now.

PCAT isn't required, and the courses would have to be transferrable. You need a semester of: Cell biology (intro level), Calculus, Statistics, Biochemistry

A full year of Inorganic, Organic and English. Talk to registrar office for more help.

Thanks for the help! I wasn't asking for if I was late or not, Im in second year who has done all these pre-reqs, I was just never exposed to the idea of pharmacy outside of ontario. Thank you for clarifying the PCAT, however Im still confused on how they calculate GPA as stated in the initial question. Any idea how its weighted at UofA or you just suggest contacting the registrar?

Thanks

Thanks for the help! I wasn't asking for if I was late or not, Im in second year who has done all these pre-reqs, I was just never exposed to the idea of pharmacy outside of ontario. Thank you for clarifying the PCAT, however Im still confused on how they calculate GPA as stated in the initial question. Any idea how its weighted at UofA or you just suggest contacting the registrar?

Thanks

They primarily use your pre-req GPA (an average of the 10 courses). But they also consider your overall GPA to see whether you were able to maintain good grades during a full course load.

Yes, as zizo stated, pre-req GPA is primarily used along with overall GPA, which does not include Summer/Spring courses. Having one year of 30 credits is strongly recommended.

Out of the pre-reqs listed, English is the only credit I havent done. How does UofA look at me if I took english in the summer the full fill the credit? IS that ok or they want me to take it during a regular school year? Anyone know this?

Im not too keen on taking english during the year :(

I wouldn't worry about taking english in the summer. As long as your transcripts are received by June 15th, you should be good to go.

I also applied this year with a 3.6 prereq GPA and a 3.7 Overall in my last 2 years.

I'm curious as to whether or not they would rank a student higher who has more than 1 year with a full course load while maintaining a competitive GPA's in both years.

For example, Do you think a student with 1 year full course load with a GPA of 3.8 would be ranked higher than a student with 2 full course load years with a GPA of 3.7? I definitely think the student with 2 full course load years would be looked at more favorably, but I could be wrong.

Also I've been thinking a lot about the selection process lately. This is how I think they determine whose accepted:

1. Rank all students by GPA (students with a GPA of <3.2 are probably automatically rejected)

2. Read letter of intents starting from the #1 rank down to the last ranked. If they're not happy with your letter, even with a 4.0 you'll be rejected.

3. Successful applicants will be admitted.

4. There's going to be a small handful of individuals whose applications are very close, and that's where the more detailed things will come into play such as pharmacy experience, volunteering etc.

I wouldn't worry about taking english in the summer. As long as your transcripts are received by June 15th, you should be good to go.

I dont know if you understood me or not but so are you saying it doesnt matter if I decide to defer english to do it in the spring/summer vs taking it during the year?

I dont know if you understood me or not but so are you saying it doesnt matter if I decide to defer english to do it in the spring/summer vs taking it during the year?

They don't care when you do English (it will count in your pre-req GPA regardless, but not in cGPA), but if you're applying this year, both of them must be done before June 15th... so two in Spring session? Summer, unfortunately, is too late.

I also applied this year with a 3.6 prereq GPA and a 3.7 Overall in my last 2 years.

I'm curious as to whether or not they would rank a student higher who has more than 1 year with a full course load while maintaining a competitive GPA's in both years.

For example, Do you think a student with 1 year full course load with a GPA of 3.8 would be ranked higher than a student with 2 full course load years with a GPA of 3.7? I definitely think the student with 2 full course load years would be looked at more favorably, but I could be wrong.

Do you go to U of A?

I'm curious about that too, but I think if a student has the same GPA regardless of credits in a year (mine will be same... even though 1st year was 24 and this year is 30), then they shouldn't discriminate. :D

I'll ask this question on the day I hand in my letter of intent, and let you know.

Archived