Premed 101 Forums

Official U of Alberta Pharmacy Applicants of 2013

i.mourad

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I spoke with Rae concerning the consultation forms she said something alot these lines: "Sending in one is fine, but two wouldn't hurt either. Also, this is the first year we are using these forms so we still don't know exactly how we're implementing them into the admission process".

So for all those worried about sending in two forms, I really doubt that will have a negative impact on your chances of getting in so don't worry. Having good consultation form is probably equivalent tohaving 2-3 decent ones.

For the last question on the LOI I wrote along the lines of:

1. I'd first approach Walter and tell him he's comprimising both our university careers, and what he did was wrong etc.

2. Tell him that he should go and admit his wrong doing.

3. If he fails to do so I will inform him that I am going to approach our professor regarding his plagiarism.

4. I approach the professor and explain to them that I spoke with Walter regarding the matter but he failed to comply.

5. I offered to show the professor my section of the project along with my sources to provide sufficient information to prove that I was not involved with his act of plagiarism.

6. And finally just pretty much leave it in the hands of the professor for him/her to deal with rather than taking it on myself.

That's pretty much it. I also threw in some sentences about the policies of plagiarism and how us university students are obliged to follow and respect school conduct etc. No one likes being a rat, but when it comes to plagiarism and your own university career at risk, then you gotta do what you gotta do ;)

When I spoke with Rae concerning the consultation forms she said something alot these lines: "Sending in one is fine, but two wouldn't hurt either. Also, this is the first year we are using these forms so we still don't know exactly how we're implementing them into the admission process".

So for all those worried about sending in two forms, I really doubt that will have a negative impact on your chances of getting in so don't worry. Having good consultation form is probably equivalent tohaving 2-3 decent ones.

For the last question on the LOI I wrote along the lines of:

1. I'd first approach Walter and tell him he's comprimising both our university careers, and what he did was wrong etc.

2. Tell him that he should go and admit his wrong doing.

3. If he fails to do so I will inform him that I am going to approach our professor regarding his plagiarism.

4. I approach the professor and explain to them that I spoke with Walter regarding the matter but he failed to comply.

5. I offered to show the professor my section of the project along with my sources to provide sufficient information to prove that I was not involved with his act of plagiarism.

6. And finally just pretty much leave it in the hands of the professor for him/her to deal with rather than taking it on myself.

That's pretty much it. I also threw in some sentences about the policies of plagiarism and how us university students are obliged to follow and respect school conduct etc. No one likes being a rat, but when it comes to plagiarism and your own university career at risk, then you gotta do what you gotta do ;)

I pretty much what I said! however its a new question nxt year (changes every 2 years) so if anyone is hoping for help nxt year ur in the wrong place ahaha

Back to the admissions topic, I really hate the lack of transparency in the whole admissions process. They have made it as ambiguous as they possibly can. :(

We don't even know how much each component is worth, and there is no set date for offers of admission.

I think they do that on purpose, so that people can't play games with the system but I do wish there was a date to find out at the very least or a set wait list so you knew your place in line

It really just depends on the depth in which they look at the consultation forms. For example (I don't know if this is true or not) a "good" consultation form might be one in which the student attended the pharmacy shadowing position for a long period of time; while a decent one may be where a student goes in for one day.

Also another thing to consider is that 80%+ (roughly) of the applicants may have only spoken to a community pharmacist since they are the easiest to access. On the other hand, some students have spoken to clinical and hospital pharmacists which are not neccesarily harder to get a hold of but they aren't as easily accessible. Showing the effort to reach a clinical or hospital pharmacist vs a community "might" show a bit more interest in the profession.

Again this is all a hypothesis. None of this info is verified, but it's all possible.

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

I personally think that it's more of a checklist (did you give one or not) since it doesn't say it's mandatory (:P unless they are not being truthful and it is a very important factor). I think that if in your letter of intent you mention shadowing a pharmacist or talking to one and you don't have a pharmacist consultation form, that could go to your disadvantage.

I personally think that it's more of a checklist (did you give one or not) since it doesn't say it's mandatory (:P unless they are not being truthful and it is a very important factor). I think that if in your letter of intent you mention shadowing a pharmacist or talking to one and you don't have a pharmacist consultation form, that could go to your disadvantage.

Well I was told by multiple people they could careless if you handed in a reference letter, but that the consolation forms were extremely recmmended so they are obviously using them for something but I feel it is probably more to check how much research was done but they did make it seem like it wasa fairly important aspect? Maybe a few extra "points" would be added on for handing one in? Honestly not sure but I got the feeling from them it was more than just a piece of paper to hand in as a tie-breaking component

On a friendly note and more on topic is any one else freaking out about the fact that in 10ish days some of us should know! I feel like I'll probs be wait listed but I'm rrreeeaallllyyy hoping I can sneak in....our fates will be decided in the next week by the committee :s

It's exciting and very nerve-wracking. As soon as the offers are out, the class of 2017 will be set. :eek:

I'm going to Vancouver/Seattle on June 28th... I hope I find out before then, or else, I'm going to be thinking about this the whole vacation.

You'll be fine. As I said before, I think we all get in. :D

It's exciting and very nerve-wracking. As soon as the offers are out, the class of 2017 will be set. :eek:

I'm going to Vancouver/Seattle on June 28th... I hope I find out before then, or else, I'm going to be thinking about this the whole vacation.

You'll be fine. As I said before, I think we all get in. :D

In a dream world we all get in! But with your stats you will probs be rejected/accepted right away, only thing that could stop you would be a red-flag in your letter which based on your demeanor doesn't seem likely :)

In a dream world we all get in! But with your stats you will probs be rejected/accepted right away, only thing that could stop you would be a red-flag in your letter which based on your demeanor doesn't seem likely :)

Yeah, that's my concern, because you never know what exactly they want. I got my favorite pharmacist (at work, haha) and my pharmacy friend to read them over and edit it, and they liked it... so hopefully it's all good. :)

Yeah, that's my concern, because you never know what exactly they want. I got my favorite pharmacist (at work, haha) and my pharmacy friend to read them over and edit it, and they liked it... so hopefully it's all good. :)

I'm sure you are fine! UofT and UW students already know :( and most are getting in with 3.4's :s however they also use the PCAT

I doubt we will know before the 28...they are meeting of the end of next week. We will probably know 1st week. I can't wait!! Apparently if you get an email, it means you are in, they send rejections much later and by mail.

The moment the first person writes they are in...my heart will skip a beat.

I doubt we will know before the 28...they are meeting of the end of next week. We will probably know 1st week. I can't wait!! Apparently if you get an email, it means you are in, they send rejections much later and by mail.

The moment the first person writes they are in...my heart will skip a beat.

Yea they at least have a date they will Forsure know by and a place in a wait list along with an email, if you are on the uofa waitlist you get no sort of notification at all and are in decision purgatory, the other schools notification systems seem more organized but I agree with you once people start finding out I'll be freaked out

I can confirm that it is going to be by email AND mail this year. :)

On the previous topic, I firmly believe that all professions are important and hold equal value. I've had my friends tell me how boring Pharmacy sounds, and I've defended it a lot... but then you just let it go because they don't fully understand it. Sometimes, the opinion of others is irrelevant and ignoring it is the best thing you can do.

I can confirm that it is going to be by email AND mail this year. :)

On the previous topic, I firmly believe that all professions are important and hold equal value. I've had my friends tell me how boring Pharmacy sounds, and I've defended it a lot... but then you just let it go because they don't fully understand it. Sometimes, the opinion of others is irrelevant and ignoring it is the best thing you can do.

That makes me both excited and nervous :s if it'd bad news and I'm in a public place I have been known to be a crier ;)

Haha, I laughed at this:

She will not be satisfied though until I confirm her belief that the cherry flavored brand is the superior product.

I think you get a lot of satisfaction when you can improve someone's health by doing just the little things that matter, but the insurance stuff drives me crazy. Phone the company, and then they put you on hold for half an hour. Argh.

But I think the key thing to note (I tell myself) is that this profession is very diverse... a lot more than people think it is. There's plenty of jobs where you don't have to deal with financials, and just worry about people's health. :)

Yes, I am so excited on where pharmacy is heading, they are focusing more on the clinical aspect .

ps. If my "special detective skills" are right... I think they will be meeting on the 26 (earlier than I previously suspected) (yes...I might be going a bit crazy lol)

Has someone asked or know exactly when they are meeting?

I can't verify if this is true or not but I heard from a friend who's in 4th year pharmacy at u of a that acceptances won't be released until the second week of July. Has anyone else heard this?

That being said, if it is true, don't lose hope if you don't hear back in the first week of July.

Archived