Premed 101 Forums

MASc vs MSc

AshPreMed

MSc and MASc in engineeing are the same thing, just varies school to school on which version they use.

Note: unless you have a BSc or BASc in engineering or closely related discipline, you won't get into a graduate program in engineering. You didn't specify what your undergrad is in, so wanted to make that known in case.

Which is a better prequel for an MD/PhD in prosthetics (and surgery) and biomedical engineering: IMS MSc or IBBME MASc? I plan to upgrade my MASc to a PhD in Medical Sciences (during MD/PhD). Would that be doable?

Based on what you're saying, it comes down to whether you do a degree in medical sciences through IMS or a degree in engineering through IBBME. Neither is "better" for a career in prosthetics and surgery. Neither is "better" for MD/PhD. It depends what you want to do your research on. However, medical science is probably more closely related to regular doctor duties so might lend itself more readily to doing research in the future as a doctor.

There will definitely be some overlap between the two, but if surgical research (recovery, methods, side-effects etc). is your preference, then med sci is the right path. If testing orthotics in clinical populations is your interest, then med sci is still the right path.

If you want (and have the background knowledge) to design a new prosthetic, do mechanical tests, and work mostly with theory rather than do stuff with patients, then BME is probably better. Again, if you don't have an undergrad in engineering, or related discipline, you probably won't get accepted to BME.

But, bottom line is that if you eventually want to transfer into a PhD in medical science, then a masters in medical science is the answer.

Edit: Just saw from another thread that you come from a B.Sc. Human Biology background. In this case, MedSci (MSc through IMS) is probably the only way. I doubt you would get accepted to engineering without having prior experience in that field. (as a side note, if you do a PhD, you have to do a candidacy exam to prove you are at the PhD level in the chosen field, and you're tested on the same things as everyone else in the program. If you did a PhD through IBBME on prosthetics, do you really think you could be able to hold your own against a panel of mechanical engineering PhD's grilling you?)

I'm going to copy/paste from above, because I don't think you are reading it:

Just saw from another thread that you come from a B.Sc. Human Biology background. In this case, MedSci (MSc through IMS) is probably the only way. I doubt you would get accepted to engineering without having prior experience in that field. (as a side note, if you do a PhD, you have to do a candidacy exam to prove you are at the PhD level in the chosen field, and you're tested on the same things as everyone else in the program. If you did a PhD through IBBME on prosthetics, do you really think you could be able to hold your own against a panel of mechanical engineering PhD's grilling you?)

You probably do NOT meet eligibility requirements for a MSc or PhD in BME. Through MedSci, you could help with the design, but wouldn't be "the designer." You don't know anything about material properties, multi-segment mechanics, mechanical energy, 3D modelling. These are essential to BME. In MedSci, as a surgeon also, you could help by giving design requirements, and probably testing it in patients. Or if you had some crazy idea, you could give it to the engineers to build it for you.

I'm going to copy/paste from above, because I don't think you are reading it:

Just saw from another thread that you come from a B.Sc. Human Biology background. In this case, MedSci (MSc through IMS) is probably the only way. I doubt you would get accepted to engineering without having prior experience in that field. (as a side note, if you do a PhD, you have to do a candidacy exam to prove you are at the PhD level in the chosen field, and you're tested on the same things as everyone else in the program. If you did a PhD through IBBME on prosthetics, do you really think you could be able to hold your own against a panel of mechanical engineering PhD's grilling you?)

You probably do NOT meet eligibility requirements for a MSc or PhD in BME. Through MedSci, you could help with the design, but wouldn't be "the designer." You don't know anything about material properties, multi-segment mechanics, mechanical energy, 3D modelling. These are essential to BME. In MedSci, as a surgeon also, you could help by giving design requirements, and probably testing it in patients. Or if you had some crazy idea, you could give it to the engineers to build it for you.

LOLOL. oh man

well as part of p. eng, I think you have to write an exam.. that is going to be hard without an masc

The main exam for PEng is based on professional ethics, not engineering content. If you meet the required undergraduate engineering course requirements, there are no further exams other than the ethics one. How's a Masters supposed to help with that? Depending on what you are doing in engineering, a PEng doesn't give you much anyway.

Anyways, point is, OP has an undergraduate that is not related to engineering. Maybe not a deal breaker, but what is is the fact that they also have not taken any engineering coursework, have not done engineering research, and have not gotten any engineering work experience. PEng is last thing on their mind, because the chances of getting into an engineering masters is near zero.

The main exam for PEng is based on professional ethics, not engineering content. If you meet the required undergraduate engineering course requirements, there are no further exams other than the ethics one. How's a Masters supposed to help with that? Depending on what you are doing in engineering, a PEng doesn't give you much anyway.

Anyways, point is, OP has an undergraduate that is not related to engineering. Maybe not a deal breaker, but what is is the fact that they also have not taken any engineering coursework, have not done engineering research, and have not gotten any engineering work experience. PEng is last thing on their mind, because the chances of getting into an engineering masters is near zero.

I thought they had ethics + a technical exam. ie. mechanical engineer writes the technical exam for mechanics, etc.

what do you mean when you say a engineering masters is impossible to get ? do you mean its impossible for bsc biology student?

I thought they had ethics + a technical exam. ie. mechanical engineer writes the technical exam for mechanics, etc.

what do you mean when you say a engineering masters is impossible to get ? do you mean its impossible for bsc biology student?

Nope. From the P.Eng. Ontario site, this is what you need:

1. be at least 18 years old;

2. be of good character;

3. meet Education Standards (bachelors in eng - the exception is if you have 10 years work experience in eng and you pass the numerous eng confirmatory exams);

4. meet engineering Experience Requirements (4 years employment in engineering);

5. pass the Professional Practice Exam (PPE) on engineering law and ethics.

By masters impossible, I mean impossible for OP given their bachelors (bio), given that they probably haven't taken any courses related to eng, given they have no eng work experience, and given they have no eng research experience. Like most professions, you can't just wake up one day and say "hey, I think I'll do a masters/PhD in _______." Gotta put in the preliminary work first.

Archived