Premed 101 Forums

how much chemistry is required for, and done in medical school?

jerkstore

We know everyone says to take X amount of orgo and biochem and gen chem, but I've been under the impression that this is largely for the MCAT.

Once you're actually in the door, how large of a role does chemistry play in medical school, and how much prerequisite knowledge did you feel you actually needed to have?

We know everyone says to take X amount of orgo and biochem and gen chem, but I've been under the impression that this is largely for the MCAT.

Once you're actually in the door, how large of a role does chemistry play in medical school, and how much prerequisite knowledge did you feel you actually needed to have?

obviously you are gonna need to know how much of x (in mole, milli mole, etc) to give to patients..

in my opinion, you would need as much chem and organic chem as there is on the mcat because one part of the job of doctor is to read scientific papers and having some chemistry and organic chemistry knowledge would help a long way when reading them.

I haven't found that I've needed much chemistry at all except on a very basic level - things like solutions, osmosis, acids and bases. But nothing calculational or particularly complicated, just some idea of the main concepts.

I was actually sort of surprised to find that the physiology is in some cases taught at a lower level than some of my undergraduate degree, so the really in depth biochem isn't necessary.

Although, I have what I consider to be a strong background, so it's possible I am using it and not realizing it - it would probably be more useful to hear from someone who doesn't have any background.

there is that,

but don't you have to read scientific papers and stuff? it would be much easier if you know the terms rather than constantly searching those terms on google.

there is that,

but don't you have to read scientific papers and stuff? it would be much easier if you know the terms rather than constantly searching those terms on google.

we read papers all the time but to a large extent the medicine is at a higher clinical level than needing to know exactly how a particular drug works.

Don't get me wrong - all knowledge is useful - but it isn't like you are pulling out organic chem every day to do your job :)

I echo what others have said. Its important IMO to have the conceptual knowledge, not necessarily the details. It is useful when reading up literature and when learning pharmacology PROPERLY (as in not the superficial way they teach you in medical school).

The details that undergraduate courses go into is a different type of detail you will want to know as a physicians - it makes sense as undergraduate courses taught by researchers and what they think is important will come up.

In summary, focus on concepts, not the details.

I echo what others have said. Its important IMO to have the conceptual knowledge, not necessarily the details. It is useful when reading up literature and when learning pharmacology PROPERLY (as in not the superficial way they teach you in medical school).

The details that undergraduate courses go into is a different type of detail you will want to know as a physicians - it makes sense as undergraduate courses taught by researchers and what they think is important will come up.

In summary, focus on concepts, not the details.

For the undergrad course, the mcat, or med school?

I'm really considering at the point, doing an arts major and just taking a handful of prerequisite medical school/mcat courses, perhaps mostly during the summer.

What do we think, 1 year general bio, 1 year gen chem, 1/2 year orgo, 1/2 year biochem? Then load up on MCAT prep books near the time.

Also, what's the consensus on whether or not to take physics during undergrad? From what I've heard you really just need to memorize like 10 equations and know where to apply them.

It's important to know general aspects of chem, ochem and biochem... enzymes, acids/bases, sugars/prots/lipids etc and some of the terms, and basic behaviours... it allows you to save memorization space for stuff that cant be learned through intuition. If you know that this hormone is a steroid, and steroids are cholesterol based, cholesterol is lipid soluble so it can pass through the plasma membrane etc. makes it easier for tests. Of course what you need for practice is completely different and it depends on what you plan on practicing, and how you plan on practicing... You can perscribe a drug with only the qualitative understanding of it, but it might be easier for some to understand it completely...

I personally think that medicine is to bio/biochem/chem/physiology what chemical engineering is to chem/physics/math (disclaimer my UG was chem eng)... In that a good foundation is helpful, but the complication with medicine/engineering is often in knowing when and how to synthesis and apply this information, how to accommodate for imperfect models and natural variation... when to follow heuristics/guidelines and when to follow intuition... etc. Its about extracting from the science and applying to reality.

Its completely different if you want to do research of course.

Archived