Premed 101 Forums

Carms apps done!!!!!!!!!

tooty

what do you guys think about carms? so far this has been hands down the worst experience of my life.

I am trying to remember if med applications were worse - the timeline is shorter overall and I like that (roughly 3 months from now we will know). The odds of success are higher which is good, but there is certainly a sense of loss of control at many points here.

I think preparing the application took a lot more work.

I am trying to remember if med applications were worse - the timeline is shorter overall and I like that (roughly 3 months from now we will know). The odds of success are higher which is good, but there is certainly a sense of loss of control at many points here.

I think preparing the application took a lot more work.

The odds of success may be higher, but you only have one chance to get it right.... so overall, you have a better chance of getting into med school (even if it takes you a few tries...) than getting your first choice competitive specialty.

The odds of success may be higher, but you only have one chance to get it right.... so overall, you have a better chance of getting into med school (even if it takes you a few tries...) than getting your first choice competitive specialty.

Really? I mean it is a one in 5.5 chance of getting into medical school in Ontario per year. Even the most competitive specialty still has a match rate of 50%ish percent and I suppose some people that don't match do wait around a year to try again. You would have to apply 3 times to hit the same level and that is the worst case scenario (vascular, plastics...)

I do however feel we are splitting hairs in any case - it certainly feels like more is on the line this time around and sense of reaching a point of no return :)

I didn't find CaRMS that stressful - then again, I'm applying for family medicine. I don't expect to spend major $ on it, either, as only one of the programs I applied to would require me to fly out. But it's shocking to see how outrageous some other people's costs are. Programs really need to get it together and start offering centralized interviews so people don't drop 10 grand on the process.

I didn't find CaRMS that stressful - then again, I'm applying for family medicine. I don't expect to spend major $ on it, either, as only one of the programs I applied to would require me to fly out. But it's shocking to see how outrageous some other people's costs are. Programs really need to get it together and start offering centralized interviews so people don't drop 10 grand on the process.

Urology does this. Everybody I know (med students, urology residents, staff) all think it's a great idea.

While it may be hard for large specialties to do this, smaller programs could easily do it (ENT, genetics, PMR etc.).

Archived