Premed 101 Forums

Business grad seeking career change

Hello;

I completed a commerce degree from the UofC in 2010, and have been working in my field since graduation. I'm making good money and am on a great path but I want to challenge myself in different ways and am thinking of pursuing the MCAT and (hopefully) medicine.

- My extra curriculars while at university were exceptionally strong. Now I work full time (and a heck of a lot of overtime) but do volunteer a bit. What are the expectations for this?

- I only completed bio 30, knowing that I'd be doing business in university; so, I did honours French and AP English instead of Chem and Phys 30 because I liked the others teachers better. Do these courses matter at this point if I do well on the MCAT?

- What are the best study materials to learn the content from scratch? I'm going to need to aggressively study while still completing finances courses towards another designation and actively pursuing my current career. It'll be a challenge; so, the best materials are necessary.

Any advice/thoughts?

Best regards,

A

3.2 if you're going by U of C Med standards. I did a lot of my final courses in the spring/summer (working full time and full time courses), but none of those grades count apparently - sadly, they're my best grades. I hadn't realized that those wouldn't be counted until you asked and I looked it up - think I should consider doing a couple more years of something else?

Regardless, I'd rather study for the MCAT, decide if I like the material and see how I do. Registering for another degree now, when I work downtown and have a good life, makes no sense. If I do well on the MCAT I'll figure out my game plan then. Until then, I'm not rearranging my life for what may be a pipe dream, haha.

That in mind, back to my previous questions.

Thanks!

Hello;

I completed a commerce degree from the UofC in 2010, and have been working in my field since graduation. I'm making good money and am on a great path but I want to challenge myself in different ways and am thinking of pursuing the MCAT and (hopefully) medicine.

- My extra curriculars while at university were exceptionally strong. Now I work full time (and a heck of a lot of overtime) but do volunteer a bit. What are the expectations for this?

- I only completed bio 30, knowing that I'd be doing business in university; so, I did honours French and AP English instead of Chem and Phys 30 because I liked the others teachers better. Do these courses matter at this point if I do well on the MCAT?

- What are the best study materials to learn the content from scratch? I'm going to need to aggressively study while still completing finances courses towards another designation and actively pursuing my current career. It'll be a challenge; so, the best materials are necessary.

Hello,

highschool courses don't matter.

there's a lot of study materials and for people without a background in science, The Princeton Review is probably the best to learn the content since they go pretty deep (in terms of the sciences) than necessary for the MCAT. You can also try out Examkrackers, they're more condensed and teach you all you need to know for the MCAT

Good luck,

Archived