Premed 101 Forums

Medical school

• 4 weeks later...

lol, yup... i felt a bit too curious, a little to self critical (as me and mr. baker discussed, p/f is bull****, a little to big picture; well, detailed as well, maybe obsessive, as well as way too exposed to extreme variations in social demographics, and a little too outspoken... i guess that's why the clinicians loved me, most students didn't tend to appreciate me, i don't blame them, being critical of your own profession is prob hard... especially when you're put on a pre-clinical pedestal so high you think you're god... one clinician really didn't like me, besides that, i would say uhhh, i had a bit of a cult following for being authentic and astute... lol, as well as very idiosyncratic and un-cookie-cutter with the ability to think for myself, and sincere interest rather than the magnetic ass kissing type... anyhoo, that's ok, i have a feeling schools are pretty heterogeneous, and well, the best place for a roman is in rome... not nazareth... being sort of a lethal weapon for roman ideology makes you a more welcome guest there, contra, other, more dialectically oriented backgrounds... like hockeykid said in ask a question, we excuse behavior when a person has enough value and mutual self interest, and fortunately, outcome has always been my end point, and other more friendly locations exist... who happen to be ideologically alligned, and let's say, carrying a broader reaching voice... and luckily for me, i'm a pretty decent catch to proselytize a school's shared view... as hockey kid said, value matters ;) in what type of behavior we deem acceptable in individuals

Yup! All the time!

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind your classmates. I think it is important to identify with physician mentors. I have met many physicians in my specialty of interest that have the same personality characteristics as me and seem to love the specialty. So I would say dont look at your classmates as measuring sticks ... some of them might go on to specialties where weird people tend to gravitate ... so you wouldnt want to be like them anyway :)

I am not a big detail oriented person ... that is in groups we have people who are obsessed with understanding the molecular, genetic or cellular level of everything. It really annoys me and seems irrelevant in almost all cases. I try to remind my group that we are not trying to get PhDs in oncology or not trying to be toxicologists at the moment but they persist. So in many ways I do not fit in with that group of classmates ... I just yawn, dont listen to them talk and hope its over soon. Within your class there are many different types of people but again try not to compare laterally, you are in med school for a reason ... I would suggest looking ahead at physician mentors that help you find a place in medicine.

Beef

• 1 month later...

If it's not too late to add my two cents, I've heard this is common among those who are working and studying at high levels - particularly when the person is surrounded by many other well-qualified and highly achieving individuals. The phenomenon is often referred to as "Impostor Syndrome":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

I've been to a few talks on the topic, and I find it fascinating (especially since I also feel this way sometimes). But a quick Google search will show that it's fairly prevalent in grad school, medicine, etc... so if this is what you are referring to, then you are definitely not alone.

sorry, i had to:

BS73ImposterProfessorOak.jpg

but i seriously hope you feel better op. and, by the looks of the replies, you're in good company. the impostor + your username made me think of it (which is part of the reason i posted... thought you'd appreciate it). i wasn't trying to make light of the way you were feeling at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived