Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets (2013)

Hey schmitty. I'm going to Dal. Lived here my whole life, whole family is here, and NS is where I want to practice when I'm done my degree! Their acceptances come out extremely early compared to most other schools (found out March 7th). And since it took me 3 times to get accepted (waitlisted twice), I'm not backing out now, haha.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey schmitty. I'm going to Dal. Lived here my whole life, whole family is here, and NS is where I want to practice when I'm done my degree! Their acceptances come out extremely early compared to most other schools (found out March 7th). And since it took me 3 times to get accepted (waitlisted twice), I'm not backing out now, haha.

Nice, congrats!

Congrats!! Those are some good karma vibes. Way to stick to your roots; it made me smile :) I hope someone equally as perseverant receives your interview position!

Can't believe I am actually posting this, but -

Time Stamp: Mar 15 5:25 PM (EST)

Interview Date: Apr 5-7 weekend

Result: Invite!

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 11/11/12/P (34P) - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: nothing that special - research (w/ pub & NSERCs), hospital volunteering, science outreach volunteer, etc.

Essays: Spent a fair bit of time on them and got my mom and a few others to read them over. Not overly well written, but they were simple and conveyed who I am.

Year: graduated in 2011 but not a grad student & first time applicant

IP/OOP: IP

Don't give up hope people, I hope that you all have good news coming your way soon!

Time Stamp: Mar 15 5:25 PM (EST)

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.87

MCAT: 14/10/10/R (34R) - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: research and pubs, a solid amount volunteering and such

Essays: My friend who got into McGill helped me out with them. He got into McGill.

Year: 2nd year MSc physics

Time Stamp: Mar 15 5:34 PM (EST)

Interview Date: April 6th

cGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 11/10/13/P (34P) - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: research with 2 pubs in preparation, 1 conference, 1 club exec, other club stuff, hospital volunteering, fansubbing, etc.

Essays: Spent so much time I got really sick of them at the end but I tried to make them really personal.

Year: 2nd year MSc Biology

OMG!! Still can't believe it! I kind of lost hope but so happy to get an interview. Everyone who's waiting definitely still has a chance! Good luck!!

I had pretty much given up hope, but got a welcome surprise this morning!

Time Stamp: Mar 15 ~10:15 AM (EST)

Interview Date: Apr 7 Afternoon

wGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 12/11/12/S (35S) - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: Probably the stronger part of my application with long-term commitments with community outreach in disadvantaged neighbourhoods, internship with health policy planning, etc.

Essays: I was scared because I didn't think I put enough effort into them. I write from the heart but I had only my mom look over them.

Year: 4th year OOP.

I had pretty much given up hope, especially as I thought this last weekend was mainly left for grad students... but there is still hope. I definitely feel for everyone else still waiting for a result, but hang in there and hopefully the notice is positive!

Invite!! April 7th.

Time Stamp: Mar 15 5:28 PM (EST)

Interview Date: April 6th

wGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 14/11/13/Q (38Q) - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: Hospital and community volunteering, club exec for multiple years, student departmental council, 2 summers of research with awards, poster presentations, other things that I'm interested in (band, etc)

Essays: I spent a lot of time on them! I was really happy with them when I was done.

Year: 4th year Undergrad in Neuroscience

I'm so excited! Definitely worth the wait! Good luck to everyone else :)

Time Stamp: Mar 15 5:32 PM (EST)

Interview Date: April 7

wGPA: 3.83

MCAT: 10/11/12/Q (33Q) - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: 5+ years volunteering in senior home and at hospital. 2 undergrad pubs (neither were first author). Lots of grad awards and scientific conferences.

Essays:

Year: graduated msc

Time Stamp: Mar 15 5:32 PM (EST)

Interview Date: April 7

wGPA: 3.83

MCAT: 10/11/12/Q (33Q) - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: 5+ years volunteering in senior home and at hospital. 2 undergrad pubs (neither were first author). Lots of grad awards and scientific conferences.

Essays:

Year: graduated msc

Oops, forgot to fill in the Essays section. I worked hard on them and went through several drafts. I really tried to "show" and not "tell".

Never ever thought this day would actually come! This is my only interview :)

Time Stamp: Mar 15 , 5:34 pm

Interview Date: Apr 6

cGPA: 3.61

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 10/9/10/R - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: Probably the strongest component of my application. All of the commitments I listed were at least 6 months in length and I tried to merge as many of the accomplishments/ experiences together: 1 first author publication, 2 manuscripts in prep, 7 poster/oral presentations, several grad awards, leadership roles (students' association, newspaper, cultural group), clinical/research experiences ( 4 years of hospital volunteering, ped/onc camp counsellor, summer student research) and a bunch of randomn hobbies (piano, baking, art etc.. )

Essays: Spent A LOT of time on these. I had several med students review my essay drafts. I also received some guidance from Astroff Consulting.

Year: Graduated MSc in 2012, now working in industry

Never ever thought this day would actually come! This is my only interview :)

Time Stamp: Mar 15 , 5:34 pm

cGPA: 3.61

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 10/9/10/R - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: Probably the strongest component of my application. All of the commitments I listed were at least 6 months in length and I tried to merge as many of the accomplishments/ experiences together: 1 first author publication, 2 manuscripts in prep, 7 poster/oral presentations, several grad awards, leadership roles (students' association, newspaper, cultural group), clinical/research experiences ( 4 years of hospital volunteering, ped/onc camp counsellor, summer student research) and a bunch of randomn hobbies (piano, baking, art etc.. )

Essays: Spent A LOT of time on these. I had several med students review my essay drafts. I also received some guidance from Astroff Consulting.

Year: Graduated MSc in 2012, now working in industry

Good luck!!

Time Stamp: Thurday, March 14, 2013 (From Leslie Taylor) 6:11pm

Result: invite for April 1th

Format: email 9:24 am PST

GPA: 4.25 uwinnipeg sys (grad applicant)

MCAT: PS:14 BS:14 VR: 15 WS:T

Research: PhD with 15 publications, including 5 first author. Many conference presentations. Volunteered a few months in Ghana, Morocco, S.Africa, Tanzania. Prix Galien award recipient. Saved a baby from a burning building. Won a Juno. Was in the race for the next papacy. Ok not really. Likes the ballet and grumpy cat. Plays sports like golf and bowling.

Moral: You guys will be great, DON'T stress over this forum. As you can see any fool can write anything. :) Good Luck!

You know what the weird thing is? I believed the part about Ghana and the baby, but thought it might be fake because of the 15VR.

Time Stamp: Mar 19 11:48 AM (EST)

wGPA: 3.85

MCAT: 9/11/12/S (33S) - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: Research and publications in pharmaceutical policy, multiple non-academic extracurriculars, several global health clubs

Essays: Did my best!

Year: 4th year UG

I had totally lost hope since everyone said the last weekend is mainly grad students! Can't wait!

Time Stamp: Mar 19 , 11:48 am

cGPA: ~3.35

wGPA: Not eligible for weighting but I did complete the section on why my academic performance doesn't reflect my true abilities (my first year was WAY lower than any year following)

MCAT: 39R 13/12/14/R - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: Not a whole lot, but lots of research. 5 pubs (1 1st author, 4 2nd), 3 posters, 2 oral presentations w/ awards, a few small scholarships here and there, 2 years volunteering in CT dept at large hospital, intramural volleyball, 1 student club executive position, LOTS of varied work experience including teaching and tutoring high school kids for the last 4.5 years, NSERC USRA...

Essays: Did these pretty last minute to be honest, but read them carefully with my wife and thought they were pretty good.

Year: Graduated MSc in 2011, now working as a researcher in academia.

Good luck to everybody!

omg never thought I'd see the day!

Format: Email!

GPA: Really high

MCAT: pretty decent

Research: NSERCS YO

Essays: Did them all on the last day, no jokes bro

chiillllllll

Please update your information so that it will be useful to others.

Time Stamp: Mar 19 , 11:58 am

Interview Date: Apr 7

cGPA: 3.92

wGPA: Not eligible

MCAT: 35R 12/12/11/R - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: ~4 years of research, 3 pubs (1 1st author) 2 in prep, NSERC/other scholarships, conference posters, TAing/tutoring, research awards, student council, volunteered at psychiatry/neurosurgery labs, volunteered on student associations, in a few bands

Essays: Pretty standard I imagine

Year: 2nd year master's in neuroscience

Good luck folks. Hope to see you at interviews!

I didn't realize there was just a big wait on official regrets! I received an official regrets back in January. Didn't realize the regrets were so few and between.

Here are some stats for when I applied to UT

Regrets

Time Stamp: Jan 29, 2013 @ 2:04pm

wGPA: 3.80

MCAT: 28Q <-- likely a big factor

EC's: Two degrees: Engineering + bachelor of science. Few years of professional work experience in engineering + patent, volunteering at hospital, research in biomed, CIHR/NSERC research, founder of school premed, dragon boat competition.

I didn't realize there was just a big wait on official regrets! I received an official regrets back in January. Didn't realize the regrets were so few and between.

Here are some stats for when I applied to UT

Regrets

Time Stamp: Jan 29, 2013 @ 2:04pm

wGPA: 3.80

MCAT: 28Q <-- likely a big factor

EC's: Two degrees: Engineering + bachelor of science. Few years of professional work experience in engineering + patent, volunteering at hospital, research in biomed, CIHR/NSERC research, founder of school premed, dragon boat competition.

Yeah, there should be a couple thousand regrets from UT yet in this whole thread there are only a handful. Of course disappointment / not willing to post a regret plays a role but it shouldn't be this extreme unless the vast majority of regret emails have not yet been sent out.

Very true. Last year I waited until the March 9th to hear the bad news. I'm glad I heard earlier this year =). Hang on for those still waiting!

Yeah, there should be a couple thousand regrets from UT yet in this whole thread there are only a handful. Of course disappointment / not willing to post a regret plays a role but it shouldn't be this extreme unless the vast majority of regret emails have not yet been sent out.

Time Stamp: Mar 19 12:54 AM (AST)

Result: Invite :)

wGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 10/11/14/Q (34Q) - VR/PS/BS/WS

ECs: Worked at a hospital, volunteered with a campus emergency response team, participated in student government and various special interest groups, volunteered in Ghana, limited research

Essays: Just re-read them and they sound pretty good - the document was called 'Version 7' ;)

Year: 2nd year of a course-based masters

Booked my plane ticket as soon as I got the email - hopefully the $600 is worth it!!!

Archived