Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets (2013)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the advice. I really am upset and angry about the rejection and how everything was handled, but having a backup plan makes things better. I know the hurdles quite well and understand it's going to be a tough battle to get back, but I've been rejected from all of the Ontario schools and know that my not so stellar GPA (3.51) is holding me back. I was unfocused in undergrad but have worked so hard through grad school and at my current research job, and gotten decent publications, have good ECs etc. At some point I just had to realize that the Canadian schools don't want me and likely never will (I've applied 4 times) and I want to be a physician badly enough that I'll do what it takes. I'll do a residency in some rural Canadian/American town if that's what it takes for me to achieve my dream in the end. Flexibility and perseverance.

Why don't you just do a 2nd undergrad?

A second undergrad takes more time...it really is time to move on at one point. People need to live their lives.

Clc, I admire your perseverance. If I do not get accepted to the canadian schools I interviewed at I will see you at RCSI in September :)

Exactly, it takes time for a second undergrad, and if that STILL isn't enough then I don't want to have nothing to show for those years. Hence the masters, getting a proper research job, pursuing ECs and changing things up every year constantly striving to improve. Thanks, missmathematics...best of luck to you with getting into Canadian schools, and if that doesn't happen, we'll have a blast at RCSI!! PS There's a facebook group for the class if you haven't seen it yet :)

Thanks for the advice. I really am upset and angry about the rejection and how everything was handled, but having a backup plan makes things better. I know the hurdles quite well and understand it's going to be a tough battle to get back, but I've been rejected from all of the Ontario schools and know that my not so stellar GPA (3.51) is holding me back. I was unfocused in undergrad but have worked so hard through grad school and at my current research job, and gotten decent publications, have good ECs etc. At some point I just had to realize that the Canadian schools don't want me and likely never will (I've applied 4 times) and I want to be a physician badly enough that I'll do what it takes. I'll do a residency in some rural Canadian/American town if that's what it takes for me to achieve my dream in the end. Flexibility and perseverance.

I totally get that. I applied 4 times in Canada without success and somehow got in on my fifth try. I got into Ireland too after my 4th wave of rejection letters from Canada and I had to make the same decision you are going to make. During my interview with Limerick, they kept saying how risky it is to go Ireland, but that the university would definitely give me an excellent education. If you realize that it is going to be an uphill climb to get back home, and you really, really want to become a doctor, props to you for going into battle. Medicine is a fantastic profession and I hope four years from now you'll be matching back to Canada. Perseverance is what medicine is all about.

Regrets

Time Stamp: 2:03pm PDT, from Leslie Taylor

Year: 4

cGPA/wGPA: 3.83/3.91

MCAT: 36S (12/12/12)

ECs - 16 months of research, 2 papers, 2 presentations, awards, quite a bit of volunteering

Essays - Probably the weakest part of my application. Didn't spend very much time on them, had a hard time finding unique/interesting examples

wow.. sorry to hear that.. clearly you have a pretty impressive CV

Thanks Bearpuppy. Your application is super impressive as well, really surprised they didn't give you an interview. Guess it truly is a huge uphill battle to make up for GPA deficits, although it seems possible from some other posters. Hoping to see you post about an acceptance to Calgary and / or the American schools in the near future :D

You're the only person I've seen with a 14 VR. Might I ask how you studied for this? Do you have a humanities background?

really wasn't expecting this, especially so early but

TIME STAMP: 11:13am Feb 1st

Result: Invite, email from Leslie Taylor

cGPA: 3.72

wGPA: 3.91

MCAT: PS, VR, BS, WS - 11, 14, 14, Q (39Q)

ECs: I've always thought they were slightly below average, some research (no pubs), volunteering, couple of exec positions, various customer service jobs, currently work as a research tech

Essays: I put a lot of effort in and really tried to tailor them to the traits we were asked to discuss

Year: completed UG last year currently working

IP (live in Toronto)

goodluck to everyone!!!

What an emotional rollercoaster with U of T today.

Received my interview invite this morning, only to receive an email from Leslie shortly after saying it was an error. According to her, my file is one of the few files on hold and will likely receive a rejection later in April.

IP

cGPA: 3.9

Not sure about wGPA, but I estimated it at around 3.96

Graduate GPA: 3.9

2nd year MSc

32M MCAT (12,10,10).

NSERC, OGS, and several other scholarships

Over 600 hours volunteering at a local hospital, volunteer trainer at several rehab programs on campus for patients with cancer or heart disease, a month internship at an overseas hospital, various student bodies and student support groups, tons of travel, over 9 years of involvement with the orthodox church in Homs (Syria), and volunteered at an aid office for Syrian refugees last year during the war.

Essays were good. Spent around a week on them, and had several people proof read them for me.

Massive disappointment to be honest. I only landed one interview at UBC in Canada, in addition to one in the States. I only applied to two schools in the states, however.

EDIT: I'm sure whoever has an interview is equally if not more qualified than me. I wish you all great luck. I still have a little bit of hope that some of you who have other acceptances would cancel their Toronto inteview for the few unfortunate ones like me :P

a little late, but may as well post my 5/5 rejection

Time stamp: March 22, 5:01 pm

cGPA: 3.83

wGPA: ~3.92

MCAT: 12/10/14/Q PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: no research. nothing out of the ordinary: diverse work experience, hospital+ community volunteering, club exec, sports etc.

Essays:worked really hard on them, had multiple people review them (including a resident), but may not have had diverse enough examples

What an emotional rollercoaster with U of T today.

Received my interview invite this morning, only to receive an email from Leslie shortly after saying it was an error. According to her, my file is one of the few files on hold and will likely receive a rejection later in April.

Wow... that is so terrible. They shouldn't have retracted the invite, in my opinion. I'm sorry to hear - you're application looks pretty solid.

Even though I interviewed at Toronto I can help but feel disillusioned with the school. First that survey email with that title designed to make people open it and now falsely sending out invites only to be rescinded. WOW.

Please consider giving up your UofT seat if you end up gaining admission offers to both your interviewed schools then, you'd be able to make someone waitlisted very happy :cool:

I'm also on the waiting list for an interview... shameless plug: if you don't really see yourself attend UofT please consider cancelling! I'll love you very much, even if it's one of my other peers on the list who ultimately gets the chance... though we'd all probably have to kill the interview to get in anyways :confused:

I'm also on the waiting list for an interview... shameless plug: if you don't really see yourself attend UofT please consider cancelling! I'll love you very much, even if it's one of my other peers on the list who ultimately gets the chance... though we'd all probably have to kill the interview to get in anyways :confused:

How do you know?

(I just have not heard anything at all)

Please consider giving up your UofT seat if you end up gaining admission offers to both your interviewed schools then, you'd be able to make someone waitlisted very happy :cool:

We shall see how McMaster goes. I would probably take UofT over Mac but I feel with Mac weighting the interview higher I have a better chance there.

Archived