Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

so today i was meeting with a prof for a research assistant position in his psych lab. when i contacted him first, i said i was looking for a volunteer opportunity. (I'm only in 2nd year so i wasn't expecting much.) Turned out i did get the job and i will be pay for it! :D (of course, i won't do much but i'm so excited. his studies are pretty cool!)

I had a prof who looks for first years for the "dirty work" (as long as they're psych majors) and then as you get higher he uses you to help with actual research, a way of building trust I suppose?

That's very exciting though, congrats!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Monday I did CPR for the first time on one of my patient. It was the first day for me on the medicine ward and the first day there for the staff and residents. The code lasted for 90 minutes and at the end my staff was not very optimistic.... he was intubated and transfered to the CCU.

Last Tuesday I learned he was still alive and coded 3 more times in the CCU overnight.

Well today I went to the CCU to see if he was still alive... Turns out, he has no focal injury (except for the broken ribs :D ) he was about to leave hospital today, alive !

I had a prof who looks for first years for the "dirty work" (as long as they're psych majors) and then as you get higher he uses you to help with actual research, a way of building trust I suppose?

That's very exciting though, congrats!

thank you!

i would totally have sign up with your teach i think haha you have to start somewhere even if it means doing the dirty work during a year or two. i guess it's worth it after. (on the plus side, i'm getting the keys for the lab lounge so i can hang out there, yeah! :P)

anyway, i was thinking about this last night and being a premed really make me do thing i would not have done otherwise. i really push myself to try new things and get involved in activities that i would not even have think about before (research is a good example or being on the executive of a club). i love everything i started since last year so far and i'm so excited for this coming year! i don't know if i will ever get into med school but even if not, i know my undergrad would not have been a waste of time because i will have so much experiences. :D (sorry for the ramble haha)

I was checking MCAT THx on my phone all day. Kept refreshing it. As I was in the elevator on my way out of work, my score came through.

11 PS

10 BS

13 VR!!!!

So. Freaking. Excited. Not thrilled about the 10 in BS, but it won't hold me back and it is a score that is balanced enough that I don't need to rewrite next year as it meets all cutoffs. I was bouncing from excitement and my coworkers were really happy too.

I was checking MCAT THx on my phone all day. Kept refreshing it. As I was in the elevator on my way out of work, my score came through.

11 PS

10 BS

13 VR!!!!

So. Freaking. Excited. Not thrilled about the 10 in BS, but it won't hold me back and it is a score that is balanced enough that I don't need to rewrite next year as it meets all cutoffs. I was bouncing from excitement and my coworkers were really happy too.

13 VR rocks though! Congrats for sure!!

11 PS

10 BS

13 VR!!!!

Nice :) that is a solid score. That VR 13 will come in handy.

Nice :) that is a solid score. That VR 13 will come in handy.

Yes, I expect it will very much increase my chances at Mac and, if I need to apply during 4th year, Western as well.

My coworker bought me a slice of banana cheesecake to congratulate me. :D Life is good these days!

Now to sell those damn MCAT books!

Yes, I expect it will very much increase my chances at Mac and, if I need to apply during 4th year, Western as well.

My coworker bought me a slice of banana cheesecake to congratulate me. :D Life is good these days!

Now to sell those damn MCAT books!

Sure! - it won't hurt you at other schools of course as well either. I have lost track - what year are you at now?

Archived