Premed 101 Forums

How does one prepare in preclerkship to be oustanding in Emerg rotations

I have looked through this forum and various online resources, and I am still trying to figure this out. I am in 1st year and have an interest in EM. I was wondering if there is anything in terms of pre-clerkship learning/education I can do to strengthen my ability to become an outstanding performer during the EM rotation and EM electives in clerkship? Right now I feel as if I am just learning to get through the blocks but I feel this is not enough in terms of being able to jump in the deep end and swim during clerkship or be able to look at the bigger picture. What should I focus on? What sort of extra-curricular learning should I do and resources can I use concurrently with the standard preclerkship curriculum? What sort of pre-clerkship experiences (beyond shadowing/getting a mentor) should I seek that will allow me to plug in and play right away as a useful member of the team and not be a burden to my future preceptors/clerkship educators especially in EM? What can I do to put me in a position to get the most out of clerkship during preclerkship?

I'd like to thank people for their responses in advance.

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/programs/md/curriculum/year2/~/link.aspx?_id=54DD6D0DD8E14003ACF06EB939070ED3&_z=z

These electives are done in the summer between 2nd and 3rd year.. so it is just like starting your clerkship earlier, and you would be doing the same things as someone doing an elective at the start of clerkship.

As for your other question: The awesome surgery clerk is assertive and proactive (the baseline is a bit higher than other specialties), takes initiative, and is always asking to do and see more. Never is overheard to complain about being tired. Always punctual, works quickly and efficiently. If given a choice between staying or leaving, always stays unless it is made clear that they should go home. Ideally already knows how to scrub in and tie knots, or learns quickly. Has a solid grasp of surgical anatomy and other frequently-asked questions (see Surgical Recall).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived