Premed 101 Forums

Heavens have Smiled Upon Me...{Got A POSITION}

I got Nuclear Medicine.

I went in for a IBD consultation today. I was sitting in the coffee shop, drinking my coffee talking to my wife. Some really nice guy started talking to my wife and I.

I guess he heard I did not match, and he over heard me and my wife. He asked what school I graduated from. What do I want to do in the future. He asked if I could send him my transcript, deans letter, LOR and Resume.

He asked about my research.

All of the sudden it turned in to an Interview.

I was asked to come in and talk to another physician and resident.

I was asked why I did not match in first or second round, and what I want to do. I told them everything, How I feel, about my wife, about moving to USA, about feeling like dying, about not having money. about how is not fair.

I went to my appointment and told the doctor who was dealing with my case about what happened. He said he knows the doctors and the department head, and he will make a call for me {something my PG_dean did not do}.

I got a call shortly after {like 20 mints} and was offered the position, and told to thank my doctor. I was asked to Contact my Dean office and ask them to forward my files, and also was told to call CaRMS.

Dean-office is game.

CaRMS has no Idea what to do, I mean they responded by stating, in the history of CaRMS no one has matched outside the match and this is against rules and regulation.

Called the program director back, no luck. The resident stated he went through the same thing before and he assured me everything will be ok.

10 mints later PD called me, asked me to get the Dean to contact the Provincial licensing agency in order for my transition to go smoothly.

Dean office has no idea what do .

PD reassured me they do, and for me not to worry. He also said I should come in next week to work as research assistant in order to be involved in the field as soon as possible and make money.

I am still in shock. I really thought it was over.

Thank you all for the support.

PS: I have 2 two week elective in this field. Plus 3 papers and 6 Posters in the future of this field and Genetics. Some really nice stuff.

That's pretty lucky.

The cynic in me thinks its too good to be true, and that we're all being trolled hard.

But who am I to say?

Thank you my friend, my cynic in me tell me the same, is too good to be true. But I think Is being at the right place at the right time.

My wife and my doctor are the real reason I matched. I believe they really sold me off.

Congratulations!!! That's wonderful. :)

I also think Nuclear Medicine is a fantastic field, it's on my shortlist of specialities to investigate if I am accepted into med school this year (I currently work as a psychologist). I would be very interested in your views on the future of Nuclear Med and Genetics, so if you have the time perhaps I could PM you my email.

Congrats again!

Congratulations!!! That's wonderful. :)

I also think Nuclear Medicine is a fantastic field, it's on my shortlist of specialities to investigate if I am accepted into med school this year (I currently work as a psychologist). I would be very interested in your views on the future of Nuclear Med and Genetics, so if you have the time perhaps I could PM you my email.

Congrats again!

Yes my friend, please do. I am here for you. I have received over 11 PM's but I will msg you all. Vidhya if i was you, I would do Psychiatric-Neuro or NeuroPsychiatric Genetics, a fellowship off Medical Genetics.

Hey Buddy,

Congrats! This is definitely one for the storybooks. There are unfortunately people who are/were in your situation, and at least this proves that this sort of thing can happen and it's not just a deadzone after CaRMS.

Congrats and see you around

An incredible ending to an incredible story.

I don't want to be the cloud that rains on your parade, but you should get yourself to MD Management or somebody similar post-haste. I think you'll find that paying $1300/month to service your debt will be nontrivial as a resident, especially as a PGY-1. Perhaps some consolidation and refinancing will be in order.

(http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77814)

uhh, isn't nuc a Co2 specialty? Why are you happy about this? You could have gotten any CO2 specialty you wanted in R2. Furthermore, isn't the job situation for nuc med terribel? you're just deferring your unemployment 5 years.

For me is o2 specialty, I can live again.

An incredible ending to an incredible story.

I don't want to be the cloud that rains on your parade, but you should get yourself to MD Management or somebody similar post-haste. I think you'll find that paying $1300/month to service your debt will be nontrivial as a resident, especially as a PGY-1. Perhaps some consolidation and refinancing will be in order.

(http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77814)

Thank you so much. I have scheduled an interview with Harris-Private banking.

I hope I could manage this whole thing.

update:

so I forgot to tell you all. my wife has gone next level. she found this thing for IMG's where she can do medical school all over again in 1 year in Montreal.

She wants to do Psychiatry.

for IMG Quebec had a thing for everyone. I use my phone or I would of linked the link. but just google it.

Archived