Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Life Science vs Western Medical Science

I have spoken to many students from various programs in terms of deciding where to go for University, and basically, my decision is coming down between Western for MedSci and Mac for LifeSci. I have read countless threads posted in the past about each program but still haven't been able to make a choice, yet. If there are any students who are currently in either program, do you mind offering your perspective of the school and program, and any other advice you may have? This is a big decision, and I want to make sure I make an informed one.

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with the exception that for me Waterloo bio med is also on the table because my parents are pushing me to stay at home.

Anyways, I've been doing a lot of research on these three programs and here's what I gathered. First of all, in terms of education you're pretty much going to get more or less the same thing for the first two years regardless where you go. You need to get the basics under your belt before getting into the really interesting things so my advice is check out what you can major in and what courses they offer in upper years and choose something that interests YOU. The best way to succeed is being engaged in what you learn. For example, Western has a neuroscience program that I'm interested in. I needed to apply for med sci to be able to major in neurosci but I will end up with a bachelors of science and not a bachelors of medical science because of the way they have it set up. No biggie. If I end up going to western this is path I'd be taking not because of the program, the prestige or whatever just because the bio unit on nerobiology and behavior in high school (HL IB Bio unit) was the most interesting to me. So chose what you want to learn not what others want.

Secondly as far as I can tell med schools don't care what school or program you attended so chose one where you will be happy. Take a tour, see what clubs/sports are around, go through down town Hamilton and London to see if you like it etc.

Finally, I would just like to warn you, Western first year bio apparently is brutal. People were complaining about it on here a few months ago when I was lurking. I'll try to find the page if you want. So keep that in mind. (It's probably the only thing pushing me away from western and towards mac)

Edit: Here's the link I think http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74247&highlight=western

Haffie is a good prof, why you hating. Most first year profs are actually really good, you'll be in for a surprise soon enough.

Back on topic:

Western Med Sci is a solid program with lots of specializations. The courses aren't too bad and if you really put in the effort you can do well - I truly believe you can get a great GPA here. First year will largely depend on how well your high school prepared you and your own personal study habits + work ethic. Second year and beyond most students are on an "even playing field" since the material is new.

Finally, I would just like to warn you, Western first year bio apparently is brutal. People were complaining about it on here a few months ago when I was lurking. I'll try to find the page if you want. So keep that in mind. (It's probably the only thing pushing me away from western and towards mac)

Edit: Here's the link I think http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74247&highlight=western

Don't put too much faith into anecdotes of people who did poorly in a course. You don't know what their study habits are like, personal issues or other circumstances that could explain a bad performance that have nothing to do with the actual course itself.

I am still repping Carleton University. Top school in the world for journalism with a damn good science institution + small classes.

Only down side is that its expensive, but so is UoT.

you seem to know a lot for someone still in high school

I am still repping Carleton University. Top school in the world for journalism with a damn good science institution + small classes.

Only down side is that its expensive, but so is UoT.

The OP has obviously already applied to schools and is now just trying to decide. I really don't understand your constant defensiveness.

I happen to love Western. My advice would be to look at the upper year courses for each program, as an above poster mentioned. Another key difference that I've heard between Western and Mac is that Mac is really quiet on the weekends (lots of people are from the GTA so they can easily go home), whereas Western doesn't get like that. I think they're both great programs, and you can't really go wrong either way.

The OP has obviously already applied to schools and is now just trying to decide. I really don't understand your constant defensiveness.

I happen to love Western. My advice would be to look at the upper year courses for each program, as an above poster mentioned. Another key difference that I've heard between Western and Mac is that Mac is really quiet on the weekends (lots of people are from the GTA so they can easily go home), whereas Western doesn't get like that. I think they're both great programs, and you can't really go wrong either way.

He said nothing of the sorts. I am not defending, I am repping.

Carleton University - B.Sc (Bio) - Health Sciences.

Archived