Premed 101 Forums

Official 2013 uOttawa Waiting List-English Stream

Hey guys!

I had totally given up on Ottawa after lurking on this thread for more than a month.

Got the call today 10:34am!

wGPA= ~3.96

Good luck to those still waiting! Hopefully there will be a few more calls today!

congrats!!!!!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had given up on the possibility of getting a call as well. But I got one this afternoon around 1:30PM that I will be accepting (sorry for the late post). My wGPA is 3.98 and I thought my interview went well - it went by extremely fast! Afterwards I wished I had the chance to mention other things but I was happy with how it went overall.

Can't wait to meet everyone this fall:) . Best of luck to everyone else on the list!

Awesome news BDNF! Congrats :)

Hmm... it's very weird how the people that got in recently all have relatively high wGPAs; I'm not seeing the usual wave-like wait list pattern movement.

Is it not caused by the fact of how they arrange applicants in pools of their interview score then in each pool of applicants with the same interview score they list them in order of GPA, or atleast that was my understanding.

Is it not caused by the fact of how they arrange applicants in pools of their interview score then in each pool of applicants with the same interview score they list them in order of GPA, or atleast that was my understanding.

Yes, but look at the people's recent posts in this thread. Everyone's got wGPA's above 3.95 and the latest to post has 3.995 (the one just before has 3.98 - still very high up)! We don't see anyone with high 3.80's or low 3.90's posting like in the past (there was sloth way back on June 6th), and we'd be expecting some people with lower GPAs getting off the waitlist as well. It may just be that there's a non-representative sample of med candidates posting on this forum.

Yes, but look at the people's recent posts in this thread. Everyone's got wGPA's above 3.95 and the latest to post has 3.995 (the one just before has 3.98 - still very high up)! We don't see anyone with high 3.80's or low 3.90's posting like in the past (there was sloth way back on June 6th), and we'd be expecting some people with lower GPAs getting off the waitlist as well. It may just be that there's a non-representative sample of med candidates posting on this forum.

Can someone help me understand how I even made it on to the good waitlist and help me judge my interview performance? I have a GPA in the range of 3.85-3.89. This interview was my first ever and only one this year. I just wonder how, with my GPA, I even made it on to the good waitlist. My only assumption would be that my interview performance compensated in my composite score. Does this make sense? I just wonder how I even managed to get on the good waitlist, especially at a school like Ottawa with higher GPA applicants. Thanks for any input!

Can someone help me understand how I even made it on to the good waitlist and help me judge my interview performance? I have a GPA in the range of 3.85-3.89. This interview was my first ever and only one this year. I just wonder how, with my GPA, I even made it on to the good waitlist. My only assumption would be that my interview performance compensated in my composite score. Does this make sense? I just wonder how I even managed to get on the good waitlist, especially at a school like Ottawa with higher GPA applicants. Thanks for any input!

Ottawa goes by interview score, and then GPA. You're placed in bins (4.0, 3.5, 3.0 etc etc) which is an indicator of your performance at the interview. Within each bin, the applicants are ranked by GPA. This is why someone with a borderline GPA can still get in if you do very well on the interview. My guess is that everyone in the 4.0 and 3.5 bins get in, and the waitlist begins somewhere in the 3.0 bin.

I had a 3.89 at Ottawa (low end) and just managed to scrape an interview. I got an offer on May 14 and was really surprised because my GPA is so low but it goes to prove the point that if you do well on the interview, your GPA becomes irrelevant. There is a lot of luck involved but at Ottawa at least, if you get an interview then the ball's in your court!

Leon's totally right. Once you get invited to the interview at U of O, it's the interview that 'makes or breaks' you and NOT your wGPA. So like Leon said, after the interview, you're given an interview score, and candidates are accepted based on their interview score first and foremost. But because many candidates end up receiving the same interview score, they get ranked within their interview score category based on their wGPA. So my guess is that maybe this year, there's just a lot of candidates who ended up receiving the same interview score (maybe 3.0?), so most candidates who got accepted off the waitlist recently had very high wGPAs. That's just my hypothesis as to why people like you who are on the good waitlist yet have a wGPA in the high 3.80's have not yet received an offer. What confuses me a bit, though, is that there's a dude with a wGPA of 3.995 who was accepted after two dudes with a wGPA of 3.98 (so maybe they look at pre-interview score and not just wGPA to rank candidates at this stage?).

Leon's totally right. Once you get invited to the interview at U of O, it's the interview that 'makes or breaks' you and NOT your wGPA. So like Leon said, after the interview, you're given an interview score, and candidates are accepted based on their interview score first and foremost. But because many candidates end up receiving the same interview score, they get ranked within their interview score category based on their wGPA. So my guess is that maybe this year, there's just a lot of candidates who ended up receiving the same interview score (maybe 3.0?), so most candidates who got accepted off the waitlist recently had very high wGPAs. That's just my hypothesis as to why people like you who are on the good waitlist yet have a wGPA in the high 3.80's have not yet received an offer. What confuses me a bit, though, is that there's a dude with a wGPA of 3.995 who was accepted after two dudes with a wGPA of 3.98 (so maybe they look at pre-interview score and not just wGPA to rank candidates at this stage?).

Thanks Leon and 10wattbulb. I understand that the interview makes it or breaks it.

So from following this forum since the beginning, I can tell you that initially there was a lot of people being accepted with low 3.9s and even one 3.89 but then it shot back up to these high 3.9s. That must mean a changing of interview score groups, right?

I just don't see how my GPA+lower interview score (considering I never got off the waitlist) even landed me on the good waitlist?

I guess what I am really looking for is to understand the quality of my interview performance using this waitlist experience. Is this pointless or illogical?

Thanks Leon and 10wattbulb. I understand that the interview makes it or breaks it.

So from following this forum since the beginning, I can tell you that initially there was a lot of people being accepted with low 3.9s and even one 3.89 but then it shot back up to these high 3.9s. That must mean a changing of interview score groups, right?

I just don't see how my GPA+lower interview score (considering I never got off the waitlist) even landed me on the good waitlist?

I guess what I am really looking for is to understand the quality of my interview performance using this waitlist experience. Is this pointless or illogical?

You're on the good waitlist because you did well in the interview. You're most likely in the same interview group that people are currently receiving offers from. It's just that they would need to get through everyone else in that group with a higher GPA first.

Does anyone know when Ottawa typically sends out the "the class is full" email?

Does that not typically happen till September?

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got the email today that it's full. Don't know how this is done (in stages or all at once) but hey, at least we now know for sure. Good luck with everything guys! :)

Archived