Premed 101 Forums

Stethoscope

Guest yatml21
Whatever you do, go for the master. I have both and the cardiology 3 is a pain

So, go for the "Littmann Master Classic II"??

you don't really need an expensive one,

just one that works with adult/pediatric has a bell/diaphragm

there are littman/welch allyn stethoscopes which are high-quality ones useful for cardiologists

there are also cheap ~$20 sprague rappaport-style ones online

if your ear can tell the diff between the 2 then should go for the better one, but if not a $20 one with bell/diaphragm and pediatric handle should technically be fine during preclerkship and clerkship

littman classic stethoscopes are quite cheap and good and some of them even come with a sphgymamometer (just so you can practise during preclerkship for fun)

http://www.amazon.com/MatchMates-Combination-Littmann-Classic-Stethoscope/dp/B000F4UP6U/ref=sr_1_24?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1369078091&sr=1-24&keywords=sprague+rappaport

Wherever you are, set up a collective stethoscope spare parts bin.

Littman gives you more than you need and things break/go missing over the years. I've lost my extra pieces that I know others could've used. It hella cheaper than ordering from littman

I have both the Littman Cardio III and a Cardio Master (all black edition). I got the Littmann Cardio III when I started med school, and then received the cardio master when I started cardiology. I mainly use the Cardio Master, simply because you don't have to pull back, switch to bell and then put the stethoscope back in to hear if there's an S3-S4... Just lighten the amount of pressure you put on the stethoscope. Sound quality is very good on both (maybe slightly better on the Master, but you probably won't notice the difference, might be all in my head). As for the other models, I believe in the philosophy pay now or pay later. Buy a good stethoscope. It's the item you'll probably use the most in your career (aside from a pen).

You should definitely wait till Orientation. I remember Littmann was offering a prolonged warranty (free of charge) if you were a student (don't remember if it was tied to group purchase). You can always have it engraved afterwards.

I'm waiting until I start school to get mine - PEI students at MUN get ours bought for us by our provincial gov :D ...

well lucky you .... :)

I have an electronic stethoscope actually - ha, I love the ability to actually turn up the volume. All this talk about faint or soft sounds and how important they are by cardiologists. They get almost annoyed with I just amplify the volume x 5 and everything is as clear as day.

Random question about prices... I know most schools have O-week deals, but I may be able to get a better deal beforehand. Would prices for say, a Littmann Cardiac III be better than ~$110-125 during a typical O-week sale, or would I be best to jump on this deal now?

Archived