Premed 101 Forums

Right Fit?

Folks, so we've tried to cover studying approach in another post, I was thinking why not discuss social norms to fit in?

Reading some of the other sections, often the issue of being the "right fit" for what ever program creeps up. I anticipate this being a challenge and specifically speaking to my situation: where does a blue collared, school of hard knocks, no job's too dirty, laugh at all things, can't bite my tongue type of individual fit in?

During the interview rounds, I sensed quite a bit of an affluent, uptight, conservative and aloof culture/atmosphere (very few people had genuine smiles, more like the air-steward(ess) smile). This made me feel uneasy. Is this a commonality/challenge for some folks?

Please feel free to discuss the issue of right fit...

I don't know if "fit" is as big an issue in medical school as in residency, since most classes will be large enough that you have a range of personalities. Interview days are a bit artificial - you can treat the start of school like starting a new job, where you gradually get a sense of your surroundings. Use your laughter to draw people out - others may have the same worries you do - don't make your sense of aloofness a self-fulfilling prophecy. And I'm sure you know from your previous work experience - you can still work perfectly well with someone you don't spend time with socially. Did that address your question?

I anticipate this being a challenge and specifically speaking to my situation: where does a blue collared, school of hard knocks, no job's too dirty, laugh at all things, can't bite my tongue type of individual fit in?

During the interview rounds, I sensed quite a bit of an affluent, uptight, conservative and aloof culture/atmosphere (very few people had genuine smiles, more like the air-steward(ess) smile).

I have a few of the same apprehensions, and while it's true most of our classmates will have fairly affluent backgrounds I have plenty of friends who think it's cool that I worked blue collar jobs, drive a truck and know how to frame a house. Personally I think if someone is going to judge how I grew up then I couldn't give a damn about their opinion.

The other thing to consider is the face people put on at interview days is pretty fake. I'm not going to make off- color jokes or chirp anyone at an interview but I sure will once I get to know you.

Folks, so we've tried to cover studying approach in another post, I was thinking why not discuss social norms to fit in?

Reading some of the other sections, often the issue of being the "right fit" for what ever program creeps up. I anticipate this being a challenge and specifically speaking to my situation: where does a blue collared, school of hard knocks, no job's too dirty, laugh at all things, can't bite my tongue type of individual fit in?

During the interview rounds, I sensed quite a bit of an affluent, uptight, conservative and aloof culture/atmosphere (very few people had genuine smiles, more like the air-steward(ess) smile). This made me feel uneasy. Is this a commonality/challenge for some folks?

haha kinda felt the same during my interviews...I'm from a small town, I've always worked with my father on construction and stuff like fiber glass. Plus, I am a Grunt in the Army reserve.

But the fact is I've done my undergrad and haven't had any problem to fit in and I guess people in Med are like everyone else.

I found quite a few of the people of the U of T bus tour pretty off-putting; some were so probing with their questions about my schooling, ABS, where I got in, etc. and others only talked to their classmates from the same program.

I'm worried I won't fit in too and that I won't have many friends....just like UG again :(

I think I'm a bit similar to you in that I felt like a lot of people during the interview were very uptight. I've been through quite a lot in my young life so as much as a med school interview is a little scary, it's nothing compared to some of my previous life experiences. I think for a lot of the kids interviewing, the med school interview was literally the hardest, most stressful thing they had ever gone through. For many of them this didn't bring you the best personality characteristics!

Being a grad student and a little older than my classmates, I think I also worry about how I'll fit in with people that are finishing undergrad or in 3rd year and have had a fluffy, cushiony life.

But at the same time, I think as long as you're outgoing and open-minded, everyone going into med school is looking to meet new people so it's an easy environment to enter!

distressed premed, I hear you. Although, I found it was the organizers that were cliquish in nature giving pats on backs to applicants they knew, sending a subconscious/inadvertent message to dark horse applicants that medicine is only for people in the inner circle. Toronto is a diverse and large city, easier to make friends from different walks of life and maintain sanity, keep us posted with how things turn out.

Lovestruck, I felt there was a lot at stake with my interview (long time preparing to be a med applicant) and was probably equally nervous as the other applicants if not more. Life experience did help in learning how to deal with nerves though haha. I'm sure things will turn out to be fine.

Where does a blue collared, school of hard knocks, no job's too dirty, laugh at all things, can't bite my tongue type of individual fit in?

Orthopedics or gen surg sound about right.

I will certainly support the notion that there are few blue-collar, rural, lower-middle income kids in medical school. I will also support that there is a bit of a snobbery exhibited by some of the upper-class folk, but its certainly not pervasive.

Funny story. It's noon on a Sunday at a large teaching hospital in the north end of the Centre of the Universe. The team is having lunch before going back upstairs to finish rounding, and discussion turns to what we did yesterday (paraphrased for dramatic effect, but the content is fairly accurate):

Attending #1: (with his usual posh British accent) "I went to the symphony last night. I've never been a Mussorgsky fan but Oundjian does a passable job conducting."

Attending #2: We went to Luminato and then my wife dragged me to this little underground jazz club and I sat in with the band for a bit.

Fellow #1: After six months of waiting, we finally went to [exclusive restaurant whose name I've forgotten] and it was to die for.

Me: I threw in a few cord of firewood for my mom and we went to the fall fair to watch the neighbour kids show their 4H calves. My cousin won the junior showmanship ribbon. He's got a helluva little Hereford calf.

*team looks at me like I'm from another planet*

You don't need to fit in to make things work. If you find that someone has difficulty in accepting who you are, they are not worth it. When clerkship and residency begins, there will be a heck of a lot of other priorities to tend to. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and never lose sight of your values. After being on the other side of interviews this year, I have no doubt that your experiences will shine brighter than those of stuck up individuals who really need a couple of humbling slaps.

as a side note I think one of the reasons I was able to do a lot of the things I did in medical was because I didn't exactly fit in. I wasn't going around pissing everyone off but I am certainly a lot different that most other people in the program (for starters I was the only one with a computer science degree). ''

I guarantee that I'm an example of those people you just described.. :(

I found quite a few of the people of the U of T bus tour pretty off-putting; some were so probing with their questions about my schooling, ABS, where I got in, etc. and others only talked to their classmates from the same program.

I'm worried I won't fit in too and that I won't have many friends....just like UG again :(

lol there were a bunch of jerk interviewees at my ut interview...probably the least welcoming atmosphere...the current students that were there were awesome tho...

Archived