Premed 101 Forums

Getting in Med school through the army?

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how you get into med school through the army? I assume that when the army sponsors you, it's much easier to get into med school. Am I right? How does it work?

As I understand it, no.

You still have to get into medical school on your own merits.

After you've been accepted into medical school, you can apply to the MOTP. As I recall, the recruiters came around and talked to our class in the first few weeks of PGY1.

This thread is a few years old, but might have some helpful information:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33836

What I got from my researches is that : First you gotta be merit listed by the army so that they are willing to sponsor you ( I'm not quite sure but I think you are compared to other candidates and they choose).

Then, if you make the cut you gotta go through all the Med School admission procress as any regular candidate would.

if you are accepted by a school (Waitlist or not) you get to be in the Canadian Forces pool or something.

if you are still waitlisted at the end of the summer when classes begin you could be offered a place through the CF pool if there is any left. I think there like 4-5 spots per year in Quebec region for this (not sure if it includes ottawa too). I don't know about other sectors.

If you are rejected : end of the game...I dont know what happens then.

Absolutely not. Joining the Forces does not make it easier to be accepted into medical school---you'll be just by the same standards as everyone else. If you are accepted to a medical school, the military will pay for your education but you will have to spend a couple of years in the military afterwards.

But aren't there some places reserved for students sponsored by the military like their are for Aboriginal students?

Obviously, you still have to meet the cutoffs, but I thought that you had a better chance of making it in.

Is there anyone on this forum who got into med school through the military and could give us some insight as to how it works?

But aren't there some places reserved for students sponsored by the military like their are for Aboriginal students?

Obviously, you still have to meet the cutoffs, but I thought that you had a better chance of making it in.

Is there anyone on this forum who got into med school through the military and could give us some insight as to how it works?

There used to be spots reserved for military members, but those members STILL had to get into medical school on their own merits - the requirements were not any lower for military members.

Those spots have now been eliminated, as the Canadian Armed Forces are no longer desperately short of physicians, especially since our overseas involvement (ie. Afghanistan) has greatly decreased.

There ARE, however, dedicated residency positions for military members. But that is for residency, not for entrance into medical school.

I have family members who serve in the army, and this is what they have told me. There were spots in the past, but those no longer exist.

I remember a year or so back on the news an MD graduate was arrested for sexual assault. Got into med school through army if I remember correctly. Apparently they picked up some chick at a club and **** went down?

I'll see if I can find the source.

Here: http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/medical-student-in-sexual-assault-case-a-naval-reservist/article567612/?service=mobile

I remember a year or so back on the news an MD graduate was arrested for sexual assault. Got into med school through army if I remember correctly. Apparently they picked up some chick at a club and **** went down?

I'll see if I can find the source.

Here: http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/medical-student-in-sexual-assault-case-a-naval-reservist/article567612/?service=mobile

Whoah! What an imbecile (providing that the accusations hold and that the story is true)!

It's a bit off topic, but I guess that it's not just for med school that candidates should be well-screened but also for the army and police force because people in these professions have the tools to cause harm and even kill other people (and quite a few shady people w/ antisocial tendencies tend to choose these professions precisely because they acquire these 'power' tools).

That being said, my understanding is that the army does a much better job screening candidates nowadays for psycho disorders - esp. antisocial, but I'm so unfamiliar with how the army works. Maybe someone can enlighten me some more on the army recruitment process, esp for med students (I'm just curious about how it all works).

The process in the army is similar to what it has been for the last few years. I can send you the CANFORGEN which details the entry plan if you like but in a nutshell:

The program has been renamed to MMTP - Military Medical Training Plan.

-requires three years of university to apply to

-is open to both Officers and NCM's of the Regular Force

-Requires that the applicant have served a minimum of two years after reaching a basic specified level of training in your trade - Trade qualification can take anywhere from a few months to a couple of years depending on what you enter as.

-requires that the applicant have secured entry to a medical school.

On that note a couple years ago I remember seeing preferred seats for military members which meant slightly easier entry to some schools but that has changed since the CF has 100% of the doctors it needs. I think those seats could come back if the CF predicts a shortage of military doctors but at the moment Im not counting on it.

So to sum up. I would guess that military experience would look good on an application to medicine but that is about the only advantage of going through the army at this point. Although if you join now the situation might be different three years from now when you are eligible for MMTP.

The process in the army is similar to what it has been for the last few years. I can send you the CANFORGEN which details the entry plan if you like but in a nutshell:

The program has been renamed to MMTP - Military Medical Training Plan.

-requires three years of university to apply to

-is open to both Officers and NCM's of the Regular Force

-Requires that the applicant have served a minimum of two years after reaching a basic specified level of training in your trade - Trade qualification can take anywhere from a few months to a couple of years depending on what you enter as.

-requires that the applicant have secured entry to a medical school.

On that note a couple years ago I remember seeing preferred seats for military members which meant slightly easier entry to some schools but that has changed since the CF has 100% of the doctors it needs. I think those seats could come back if the CF predicts a shortage of military doctors but at the moment Im not counting on it.

So to sum up. I would guess that military experience would look good on an application to medicine but that is about the only advantage of going through the army at this point. Although if you join now the situation might be different three years from now when you are eligible for MMTP.

Thnx for you post; it thoroughly answers my question. Now, one other advantage of going through the army for Med school is that the army pays your Med studies. One disadvantage is that you have to do a residency among a small array of choices.

you hav to get into med first, then apply, u get 50 g a ear plus free tuition, have to do fm, but can do another residency after at around 150 a year with return of service of double the years it takes for the second res.

it's cool if u know u want fm,

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how you get into med school through the army? I assume that when the army sponsors you, it's much easier to get into med school. Am I right? How does it work?

you hav to get into med first, then apply, u get 50 g a ear plus free tuition, have to do fm, but can do another residency after at around 150 a year with return of service of double the years it takes for the second res.

it's cool if u know u want fm,

So once you get into med can you apply right away (summer before first year)?

Reading through old threads it looks like you can apply in your second year but not before because the army covers up to 3 years of tuition. Do you know if that has changed?

I heard that it's very competitive though.

Archived