Premed 101 Forums

do you need a car as a medical student?

First I'll note that I haven't started med yet, but I imagine the biggest factor is which school you're at.

If you're at Toronto or McGill and live downtown, a car seems unnecessary. If you're in Calgary, a car might be nice but thousands of students get by with the LRT light rail system. If you're in a more rural spot like Dal's NB satellite campus, you'll probably want a car.

Kind of depends on the location. The problem with busing in London is that the bus doesn't necessarily run as early as you need to be at the hospital. The first bus that I can get leaves my stop at 6:10 AM, so if I need to be at the hospital earlier than 6:30, I'm screwed, and that's for the closer hospital.

I'm planning to bike, myself.

Kind of depends on the location. The problem with busing in London is that the bus doesn't necessarily run as early as you need to be at the hospital. The first bus that I can get leaves my stop at 6:10 AM, so if I need to be at the hospital earlier than 6:30, I'm screwed, and that's for the closer hospital.

I'm planning to bike, myself.

I just took a cab on those days personally (which really didn't add up to that many overall). I never had a car all through med school at Western. I had to structure clerkship a bit around that but most rotations start at 7:30 so it isn't really that big of an issue.

I just took a cab on those days personally (which really didn't add up to that many overall). I never had a car all through med school at Western. I had to structure clerkship a bit around that but most rotations start at 7:30 so it isn't really that big of an issue.

and by structure I mean I didn't pick a place to live that was 1000 miles away from the site I was doing my rotations :)

For pre-clerkship I think it's less important, but it obviously depends on location. I personally plan to walk everywhere.

For rotations, if they're located further away (i.e. not a walkable distance), I think I'll need a car. So I'll probably ship mine down.

and by structure I mean I didn't pick a place to live that was 1000 miles away from the site I was doing my rotations :)

Ooops :P

Is the site where you do rotations fixed for the equivalent of a whole lease year?

Not for most people - some rotations are only at Victoria Hospital and some can be either Victoria or University, and you can also end up at St. Joe's for a couple of things. Plus family medicine can be anywhere, if it's in London. Plus some of the selectives can be weird places like CPRI and RMHC.

I suppose it would be possible to be at Victoria most of the time if you picked your selectives right, though.

It's all philosophy so there are no right answers. You can always make the bus system work. But ask yourself: Do you enjoy taking the bus? Working with bus schedules? Having less autonomy? Standing in the rain or snow? Picking up your new date with the short bus?

Personally I haven't taken a bus in 10+ years since I bought my first car at 17. No one bought it for me, I just worked hard and paid the piper for it. I go where I want, when I want and I enjoy paying for the convenience. I always buy a new car every 3 years and love driving a nice vehicle.

As a future doctor, start to think about the big picture. How do you want to spend your time? Weigh out the pro's and cons on taking the bus vs picking up a reliable but affordable car. I would choose the latter any day. Time to put on the big boy pants :D

Ooops :P

Not for most people - some rotations are only at Victoria Hospital and some can be either Victoria or University, and you can also end up at St. Joe's for a couple of things. Plus family medicine can be anywhere, if it's in London. Plus some of the selectives can be weird places like CPRI and RMHC.

I suppose it would be possible to be at Victoria most of the time if you picked your selectives right, though.

Absolutely - and more importantly you can arrange for the early ones to be all in one place if you want. All of surgery for me was a 10 min walk away from my house.

ha - I am not anti car by any means so I hope that isn't coming across, just didn't see the need for one personally.

Walking >>> Driving. Even when the weather isn't so good.

I've had a car since mid-way through clerkship, but the "convenience" is more than made up for by sitting in annoying traffic and paying for parking.

Biking? I've been getting into biking as of late.

It's all philosophy so there are no right answers. You can always make the bus system work. But ask yourself: Do you enjoy taking the bus? Working with bus schedules? Having less autonomy? Standing in the rain or snow? Picking up your new date with the short bus?

Personally I haven't taken a bus in 10+ years since I bought my first car at 17. No one bought it for me, I just worked hard and paid the piper for it. I go where I want, when I want and I enjoy paying for the convenience. I always buy a new car every 3 years and love driving a nice vehicle.

As a future doctor, start to think about the big picture. How do you want to spend your time? Weigh out the pro's and cons on taking the bus vs picking up a reliable but affordable car. I would choose the latter any day. Time to put on the big boy pants :D

Just sold both my cars last week. My next car is going to be a hybrid, I will probably just bus/bike.

Orca, the general consensus on this board, and im sure you've read about it based on the number of posts you have, is that yes you can get away with the bus for a while but as you move into clerkship it's a good idea to get your own wheels. Not only do the people here recommend it but so do the universities. Now if you are asking about whether or not it makes good financial sense to buy one, or pay off your LOC and bus it / bike it / walk it that depends entirely on your personal preferences and financial situation. Eventually you are going to need a car.

I'm planning on going without one for first year, and then getting one in second year. I've used public transit for years, but I really feel like it will be worth it for the convenience in clerkship. Plus it will open up the opportunity to do electives in places that might not be serviced by the bus system.

Archived