Premed 101 Forums

Silence clinical clerk!

costar

The a while ago I heard a PGY1 trying to impress one of her male colleagues by telling this clerk, "silence new clerk!"

I nearly lost it and wanted to cussed her out. Do you guys encounter cases where people feel superior because of seniority? In all do respect, that clerk totally knew more than her.

I later asked them a question about sinus conducting p waves and he totally put her to shame...:o

The a while ago I heard a PGY1 trying to impress one of her male colleagues by telling this clerk, "silence new clerk!"

I nearly lost it and wanted to cussed her out. Do you guys encounter cases where people feel superior because of seniority? In all do respect, that clerk totally knew more than her.

I later asked them a question about sinus conducting p waves and he totally put her to shame...:o

That is just nuts - "Silence new clerk" - ha :)

I am pretty sure I would have reacted to that in some fashion if I was either the clerk or the colleague.

First, this made me laugh that there was an emphasis on the gender of the residents.

This sounds like something that may have been said in sarcasm and misinterpreted.

Regardless, if that's what's going to make you lose it and start cussing people out, be prepared for some difficult times ahead.

First, this made me laugh that there was an emphasis on the gender of the residents.

This sounds like something that may have been said in sarcasm and misinterpreted.

Regardless, if that's what's going to make you lose it and start cussing people out, be prepared for some difficult times ahead.

Yeah sure, maybe he should 'prepare' for it, but by no means should he accept it. The whole "****ting" on those lower in the hierarchy is frankly embarrassing to the profession and no clerk should Accept that. It was particularly worse at U of T from what I experienced.

Kudos to you for wanting to cus her out, but there are obviously more constructive ways to channel that energy.

I never experienced anything quite like that, though I also do agree that sometimes you just need to let things go. It shouldn't be that way, but learning to work with people who are occasionally unpleasant is something you have to deal with in just about any field. Fortunately for clerks that usually only lasts a few weeks.

I can't say I experienced anything worse at UofT on electives. A couple of the surgery residents at Sunnybrook when I was there were kinda obnoxious, but they were the exception. I worked with about 11 residents and fellows at St Mike's in the MSICU and had a great time.

• 2 months later...

Hopefully they were trying to be humorous. Most of us aren't (intentionally) jerks. If they were serious, you know firsthand exactly how intelligent and professional they looked, and (unless they pulled a muscle rolling their eyes) it probably didn't do any harm to the clerk. The best way to win in these encounters is not to play. Bring a thick skin and a sense of humor to residency.

/The above doesn't mean you should tolerate harassment.

/bored waiting for CaRMS session timer to reset. Necroing old threads.

Archived