Premed 101 Forums

Working in Medical School

I do not see how that is possible unless they are some super genius with a photographic memory and only need minimal time to study - even then I don't see how the hours add up. From my experience at UBC - we are in school/clinical/practicum from 8 - 4ish most weekdays. So your friend would either have to work from 5ish - 1am every weekday or else 5ish - 1am for 3 weekdays and then 8 hours/day on weekends - totally insane.

Personally, I found the workload in year 1 med bordering ovewhelming and while I ended up getting decent marks on my exams I couldn't imagine working during the semester. I definitely cherish my free time during the school year and would not want to swap that for work.

On the flip side, I am basically putting in full time work hours all summer to make some money back. I earn extremely good money as an RN but my total summer earnings will still only be a small percentage of the debt I have already accumulated.

I agree with others who have said it is really not worth it to put in too many employment hours to keep the debt down as it can be paid off relatively quickly (from what I have read - I have not talked to any physicians about this) once one is practiing medicine and making a good income.

This thread confirms what I thought about med school & work (i.e. they don't fit together well esp. if the work is only for the $$$). So, I definitely don't plan on working during the school year. P.S. I very much doubt that someone can work full-time during pre-clerkship; that person must have exaggerated.

But I was thinking of maybe working during the summer months. Even then, I don't know if it's a good idea because maybe I could spend my summers doing interesting electives or volunteering (or just relaxing/traveling?). What do you guys suggest/recommend?

But I was thinking of maybe working during the summer months. Even then, I don't know if it's a good idea because maybe I could spend my summers doing interesting electives or volunteering (or just relaxing/traveling?). What do you guys suggest/recommend?

If you're in Ontario and planning on using OSAP then it's probably not worth it - basically anything you make that summer will be subtracted from the grant portion of your OSAP, so if you're just working for the money, OSAP makes it kind of pointless... e.g. you basically have a choice of getting $10,000 for free from OSAP and doing whatever you want during the summer, or working all summer and getting nothing from OSAP. If you're doing a job that relates to your interests in medicine and might help your CaRMS application down the line, then that's a different story.

If you're in Ontario and planning on using OSAP then it's probably not worth it - basically anything you make that summer will be subtracted from the grant portion of your OSAP, so if you're just working for the money, OSAP makes it kind of pointless... e.g. you basically have a choice of getting $10,000 for free from OSAP and doing whatever you want during the summer, or working all summer and getting nothing from OSAP. If you're doing a job that relates to your interests in medicine and might help your CaRMS application down the line, then that's a different story.

Yup...I hate that aspect of OSAP. I was punished all through my undergrad because I worked a lot and thus didn't get any grants despite my parents being solidly low income and no parental support.

I also see lots of 4-year out of highschool rich students living it up during the summers, not working at all, travelling, etc, and then they get huge OSAP grants because on paper they have $0 income. Sigh...

Yup...I hate that aspect of OSAP. I was punished all through my undergrad because I worked a lot and thus didn't get any grants despite my parents being solidly low income and no parental support.

I also see lots of 4-year out of highschool rich students living it up during the summers, not working at all, travelling, etc, and then they get huge OSAP grants because on paper they have $0 income. Sigh...

Hah, same situation here - I barely got any grants during undergrad because I had too much income, meanwhile I was working throughout school to help my parents pay the bills. It also seems incredibly silly that they don't take our debt into account - if making money hinders me from getting grants/loans, then why doesn't owing money help me? It's definitely an imperfect system... although with a better understanding of the system now, at least I feel like I'm doing a better job of putting myself in a position to benefit from it going forward.

I was the same way in undergrad - had worked in high school and parents made too much (according to the government) for me to recieve anything meaningful from OSAP (not just grants, little loan money as well). Oh, and I recieved $0 from my parents for school.

Now I feel like I'm stuck though - OSAP doesn't give me funding because I work but I have to work because OSAP doesn't give me any funding, so then OSAP doesn't provide funding the following year... because I worked. So now that I'm in med school, I'm still not getting much in the way of OSAP, and hardly any "free" money. I guess I wait for a year, have $0 income and maybe I'll get some OSAP in 3rd year :)

Hah, same situation here - I barely got any grants during undergrad because I had too much income, meanwhile I was working throughout school to help my parents pay the bills. It also seems incredibly silly that they don't take our debt into account - if making money hinders me from getting grants/loans, then why doesn't owing money help me? It's definitely an imperfect system... although with a better understanding of the system now, at least I feel like I'm doing a better job of putting myself in a position to benefit from it going forward.

I was the same way in undergrad - had worked in high school and parents made too much (according to the government) for me to recieve anything meaningful from OSAP (not just grants, little loan money as well). Oh, and I recieved $0 from my parents for school.

Now I feel like I'm stuck though - OSAP doesn't give me funding because I work but I have to work because OSAP doesn't give me any funding, so then OSAP doesn't provide funding the following year... because I worked. So now that I'm in med school, I'm still not getting much in the way of OSAP, and hardly any "free" money. I guess I wait for a year, have $0 income and maybe I'll get some OSAP in 3rd year :)

I agree with all you guys; there's some serious flaws with OSAP and it's not even funny. People who work during undergrad oftentimes have no choice but to do so. I mean it's usually not the richer students who work to pay off their studies but rather the poorer ones that must make ends meet somehow. Like BlurtOfTimes mentions, it's completely ridiculous that OSAP only takes into consideration one's income, but not one's expenses/debts. If you're living at home with your parents during med school, then you're clearly not going to have the same expenses as if you're living in your own apartment in downtown Toronto for the next 4 years or so. But somehow, OSAP doesn't take this difference in reality into account. Stupid, stupid, stupid :(

I agree with all you guys; there's some serious flaws with OSAP and it's not even funny. People who work during undergrad oftentimes have no choice but to do so. I mean it's usually not the richer students who work to pay off their studies but rather the poorer ones that must make ends meet somehow. Like BlurtOfTimes mentions, it's completely ridiculous that OSAP only takes into consideration one's income, but not one's expenses/debts. If you're living at home with your parents during med school, then you're clearly not going to have the same expenses as if you're living in your own apartment in downtown Toronto for the next 4 years or so. But somehow, OSAP doesn't take this difference in reality into account. Stupid, stupid, stupid :(

There are huge flaws. The system is set up and run just like all of the other social assistance programs - which all do the same thing and punish any form of income, consider assets but ignore debts.

It does I suppose have different categories for staying at home vs not doing so at least but your point is well made.

I think OSAP is just trying to encourage students to live with their parents to minimize costs.

I think OSAP is just trying to encourage students to live with their parents to minimize costs.

That is often not an option...my parents, for E.G., didn't live (and still don't) within commuting distance of any post secondary school other than a community college.

• 3 weeks later...

Working in medical school is very much possible now that the curriculum has been watered down removing so much of the fundamental physiologly,biochemistry. Most schools have 8-12 lectures so the afternoon is off. More free time but likely less competent physicians - i'm going off topic - so yes, you can work!

Working in medical school is very much possible now that the curriculum has been watered down removing so much of the fundamental physiologly,biochemistry. Most schools have 8-12 lectures so the afternoon is off. More free time but likely less competent physicians - i'm going off topic - so yes, you can work!

U of T has 9-5 class almost everyday...

Hey guys, I've got a question on this thread. I have been asked to teach for Kaplan while in school. I told them I could only do it 1 night/week and since it is the MCAT I figured I could swing that. Thoughts?

I am not sure what additional information you are hoping for that hasn't been discussed at length on this thread already.

Some members (including myself) feel working during the semester is not worth it while others feel up to 10 or so hours/week is relatively doable. You have to see what works for you.

Archived