Premed 101 Forums

First paycheck

I just got my very first pay submitted directly to my bank account. I just have two questions:

Why is the first paycheck quite a bit lower than the regular pay? I know there's a reason/something was deducted but I can't for the life of me recall what that is?

How and when do we receive a breakdown of our pay? Do they mail it to us? How much later after the money comes to our bank account do we receive the pay stub?

I just got my very first pay submitted directly to my bank account. I just have two questions:

Why is the first paycheck quite a bit lower than the regular pay? I know there's a reason/something was deducted but I can't for the life of me recall what that is?

How and when do we receive a breakdown of our pay? Do they mail it to us? How much later after the money comes to our bank account do we receive the pay stub?

Congratulations! It's a great feeling, eh?

Your other questions are a little bit university-specific, but where I work my registration fees come off the first paycheque of the year (~$500). You will also get dunned for the usual stuff (income tax, CPP, UI, dues to your resident association etc)

A physical pay stub shows up in the mail around the same time as the direct deposit is made, give or take a couple of days.

well at some places it is just one weeks worth of pay. That could easily be the reason (the cheques are usually delayed one week) (?)

My first paycheck was clearly 1/2 of what it normally is.

• 2 weeks later...
How much do residents make per week?

You get more as years go by but likely also don't have as many tax credits to throw around to reduce your tax burden. Also the number of call shifts you do has a role.

To start in Ontario let's say about 750 a week as a guideline after tax.

Archived