Premed 101 Forums

Tips for surviving the first year of residency?

I was wondering if those who finished their first year of residency could share some of their experience?:) Thanks in advance!

1) Study. It is easy to check out. Many programs have few exams. But try to review your speciality's primary text. Review your speciality specific topics which are also relevant to the rotation you are on or about an upcoming academic day. Speaking with seniors life can become a real pain later on if you don't do this.

2) Enjoy life. This means do something non-medical frequently.

3) Get to know your fellow residents, staff, nurses etc. It is kinda cool as a resident when you start to recognize lots of people and they recognize you. It makes work more enjoyable when regardless of service you have some familiar faces. Treat everyone with respect. Don't be that guy thinking that they are the PGY1 "gift" to medicine. No one likes that guy. One of the best parts of doing medicine is all the cool people and personalities you work with. Enjoy it!

4) Sleep and learn to be efficient. Learn to sleep on call. Don't stay awake, even if you are the only resident on call for general surgery or something. Multitask and manage your time effectively while working. You are babysat less, on some services you can really make life hard if you don't manage your time effectively. If you have clerks, get them doing stuff and learning. Win, win for both parties.

5) Don't be afraid to refocus your learning experience. You have matched. Unless you are a family resident looking at an extra year you don't need to learn everything and everything about some other speciality. While off service focus on learning what is relevant to your future practice. If you are in rads and doing emerg get someone to show you some bedside ultrasounds or films or something. If you are an off service psych resident review delirium or medical clearance of a psych patient or something. You get the idea...

6) Expect the first month or two to be rocky. Don't forget you have support. It is a transition. You always have support regardless of your PGY year. Don't ever be afraid of being wrong or not wanting to call for help. We all do it regardless of level of experience. It's key to learning. Heck, if you don't call for help you probably suck.

7) Don't be useless. If other residents or staff are swamped offer to help out. Don't wait to be asked. If you stay at work a few min longer helping out then people will actually like you and the favour will be repaid. You don't just clock out at a certain time doing this job. Make sure you don't leave others including patients hanging.

If you thought you learned fast during med school, you ain't seen anything yet! Time to get medical knowledge mainlined into your brain! It sticks too because you are actually doing it now. :cool:

I'm sure lots of others have great advice too. If I think of more stuff I will post it up.

I guess I have to work on my comic timing :) you are completely right and it is amazing how many residents get pretty sick at some point.

Yeah gastro and URTI are pretty common. Especially while on peads or GIM and especially after a stretch of call. Being sick sucks, but the sleep you get to catch up on is a hidden bonus... ;)

Archived