Premed 101 Forums

Being in med school, do you feel like the admissions committee made good choices in

accepting your classmates? Do you feel like they're becoming doctors for the right reasons? And not shallow reasons like money, prestige, etc...

Financial considerations and intangibles (e.g., reputation, respect etc) are part of the overall picture when choosing any career. Trying to separate them is pointless, as is a student trying to guess or question the motives of another.

accepting your classmates? Do you feel like they're becoming doctors for the right reasons? And not shallow reasons like money, prestige, etc...

ahh the endless debate :) What are the right reasons? In the end do those motivations really matter in terms of patient outcome? How many people stick with whatever reason they had initially or do reasons evolve overtime?

I don't really have good answers to those questions. I know the doctors the public admires and often the field as well are more altruistic - and I think often it is hard to provide the best possible care if your motivations are entirely "shallow". I also rarely find any doctor though that doesn't have a mixture of reasons and this makes sense.

Archived